Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Konnichi wa!

Konnichi wa!

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Konnichi wa!

Postby Datadog » Fri 03.18.2005 7:23 pm

I've been studying Japanese off this page for an hour a day for the past two months and thought I might as well stop by the forums and meet the other people who frequent this site. Is the community on this forum fairly large? Anyway, I look forward to meeting as many people as I can and hopefully learn more about this great language.
Last edited by Datadog on Fri 03.18.2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datadog

RE: Konnichi wa!

Postby toryn » Fri 03.18.2005 11:14 pm

こんにちは, datadog.

I'm a newbie myself, but yes, the community seems quite large.
toryn

Postby ShinDig » Sat 03.19.2005 7:05 am

Konnichiwa!! yea the community on this site is quite big :) Hope you enjoy it here B)
like your avatar DataDog
ShinDig

Postby Daisuke » Sat 03.19.2005 7:06 am

Konnichiwa.. There are about 1060 members in the forums, so yeah the community is large. The forums are still very young tho'.
Daisuke
Site Admin

Postby Alpha9 » Mon 03.21.2005 1:51 am

Konnichiwa! I, too, am new to this forum. Just wanted to say that I have been studying Japanese for two years at my high school, and on the 25th I will be hosting a Japanese student AND early part of June I will be traveling to Japan for two weeks through my school's exchange program. Awesome stuff, I will most definitely be using this site to help me more with my Japanese.
私は日本語がわかりません!!
あほ、危ない!!
Alpha9

Postby Datadog » Mon 03.21.2005 3:48 am

Thanks, ShinDig! I pride myself on putting sombreros on small animals.

I really hope to visit Japan someday, but I've been mostly learning Japanese because I find myself surrounded by the language on a regular basis, which is weird because Canada is mostly an English/French community. I also do some shopping at the T&T Supermarket where, thanks to learning some Kanji, I can now successfully identify which foods are "super healthy" for me. :)
Datadog

RE: Konniniwa

Postby Jess » Tue 03.22.2005 12:48 pm

Konnichiwa! Very nice to hear from you, Datadog! I'm a beginner (weep) and haven't been learning as fast as I would like... How long did it take you to get throough the katakana and hirigana and whatnot to be able to write basic sentences? I'm trying really hard but motivation seems to leaking through the cracks lately. :(
Jess

Postby XxrinoaxX » Tue 03.22.2005 1:39 pm

Konnichiwa!! I am new here and i've only got a hold of the hiragana quite recently. i can take the quizes without any mistakes, but i want to make sure i got them all down first before i start attacking kata.

It's funny how you say you started to learn because it seems you're surrounded by the language. Most of my friends here are japanese and i've known them for almost 2 years and i now i finally decide to learn the language. turns out... it's soo much fun to learn. and i wish i could learn it faster, but of course, learning a language takes time.-_-*

B)i am planning to go to Japan for a couple weeks this summer...and i really can't wait, that's why i want to be able to speak something and know a little about the culture before i go. i don't want to be tooo much of a foreigner there ^^;;
i would fly you to the moon and back...
if you\'ll be...
if you\'ll be my baby...
XxrinoaxX

Postby Datadog » Wed 03.23.2005 1:37 pm

I haven't gone through the Katakana yet, and out of the two months I've been studying, I still can't probably piece together proper sentences. I've gotten quite good at reading Kanji and Hiragana, and I can understand basic sentences, I just don't know to make my own yet.

I'm not quite as "surrounded" by language as I make it seem, but I do hear it on a regular basis from people on the street, on signs, and in movies. In my case, it's all about location.
Last edited by Datadog on Wed 03.23.2005 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Datadog

Postby dragon89 » Fri 03.25.2005 10:00 pm

Datadog wrote:

Thanks, ShinDig! I pride myself on putting sombreros on small animals.

I really hope to visit Japan someday, but I've been mostly learning Japanese because I find myself surrounded by the language on a regular basis, which is weird because Canada is mostly an English/French community. I also do some shopping at the T&T Supermarket where, thanks to learning some Kanji, I can now successfully identify which foods are "super healthy" for me. :)

konnichiwa data dog. Where in Canada do you live? I rarely hear japanese where i live in Alberta. Except from a friends mom who's japanese.
dragon89

Postby Datadog » Sat 03.26.2005 4:08 am

I live in the general Edmonton vicinity. I like to visit the Chinatown part of West Ed every time I'm in the area.

And welcome, Yuna! Are you sure that's Rikku who says that? I remember Wakka saying it after the fiend mission in the Balamb Temple.
Last edited by Datadog on Sat 03.26.2005 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Datadog

Postby Athildur » Sat 03.26.2005 10:40 pm

Well, konnichi wa DataDog (and other people here, of course).

I'm totally new (registered about 30 mins ago), and I thought it quite rediculous to begin a new topic about me (would seem a little bit too arrogant as well, wouldn't it?).

I've been trying to learn Japanese for over a year now, but, as always with me, I have the 'go through a page at one day and not return to it for over a month' - syndrome. Very annoying, but I still want to learn.
Biggest problem's always been a lack of good study material (I have very little money, so buying books & Courses isn't going to happen...well, maybe a book or two at some point) and a lack of other people who study it.
I've subscribed to millions of sites, but non seem to active to me.
This one does, and I'm glad :D.
At a glance, the community seems big (1060, that's quite a few people).

I'm not really surrounded by the language (though I do make it a priority to watch anime and listen to Japanese songs frequently, which helps me learn it :D.), but I do like it a lot. I only hope I can go there someday , and maybe stay for a few years or so...
I live in the Netherlands...and Japanese is hard to find around here. Most study books available are in english, as are most free courses created by people who've learnt it already (shabby quality, but better than nothing). Fortunately, my english isn't all that bad...

Anyway, I simply love this site and I hope to make a few friends here, so that I can actually DO something with what I've learned once in a while.

P.S. As you might've noticed, sometimes I talk way too much :P.
Athildur

Return to Japanese General Discussion