Learn to write...or speak first?

Japanese, general discussion on the language
TokyoRoze

Learn to write...or speak first?

Post by TokyoRoze » Wed 01.04.2006 11:16 pm

I know this has probably been posted at least 30 times. But I have to catch back up with you guys.

My question is how do you people have the time to both learn the language and learn the alphabet?
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80

mandolin

RE: Learn to write...or speak first?

Post by mandolin » Wed 01.04.2006 11:38 pm

You make time where you can. Break it down into times that fit your schedule.

You also need a realistic timeframe and goals, if you set any at all. Being a mom, nothing is ever concrete, so I don't have any "Fluency in 8 years" types of goals or any such thing. But lots of people do.

Learn Hiragana and Katakana. They don't take all that long, a week each seems to be the general average, give or take.

Grammar, kanji, and vocab seem to go hand in hand. Get a coursebook or something and just do one chapter a day. Or, do as much as you can in 30 minutes, and another 30 minutes tomorrow, etc.

EDIT:

Forgot to address speaking.

I think it goes together with the kanji/vocab/grammar bit. Since only the kanji is used in writing, but if you're learning them along with vocab, you'll be learning the readings of compound structures and also how to make proper conjugations, both of which are virtually the same as learning to pronounce things properly.

If you drive a lot (commute to school/work) then consider investing in some audio courses to play in your car. If you take a bus, there's always walkmans/CD players. Rip em onto MP3's and listen on your favorite MP3 player. :)
Last edited by mandolin on Wed 01.04.2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgtkwol

Post by sgtkwol » Thu 01.05.2006 12:30 am

I work in a call center, so I study mainly at work. That is the reason that I like using pics for kana whenever possible. I do a lot of writing, studying of kanji, and reading whenever I have time and depending on my mood.

Isao

Post by Isao » Thu 01.05.2006 12:45 am

I would say you should focus on writing if your work is heavily depends on writing skills such as lawyer, office employee..and forcus on speaking if your work is something like tourist guide...But it's all up to you. Also, in Japanese, people who are good at writing will be good at speaking. For ex, if you can write correctly "99999" with CHOU-ON you will have no problem spell it.
[mail][center]ーーー魁正宗ーーー[/center][/mail]

Midori_Happy

Post by Midori_Happy » Sun 01.08.2006 5:03 pm

I tried to learn speaking first, but then decided I should work on writing now while i'm young and learning, so i'm doing both together and I'm doing fine. In little time I already can speak, reconize, write, and read numbers and a few other things. When I watch Japanese shows, like anime in Japanese, I reconize things, plus learn new things, PLUS get a chnce to hear it. (Hearing it is an impotant part of learning it, you learn to reconize how it's said and wha a speaker will say.)

I'd say both at the same time, but for the very first thing pronounciation. Because you can say it to help you memorize it as well as learn to speak.

Helpful at all?
No signature of this time.

Mariya

Post by Mariya » Sun 01.08.2006 6:00 pm

Both at the same time. That'd be my advice. ;)

TokyoRoze

Post by TokyoRoze » Sun 01.08.2006 6:37 pm

Ill go for learning first. Whqat alphabet should i learn first?
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80

Daisuke
Site Admin

Post by Daisuke » Sun 01.08.2006 6:59 pm

TokyoRoze wrote:
Ill go for learning first. Whqat alphabet should i learn first?
You should learn hiragana first.

wise72

Post by wise72 » Sun 01.08.2006 10:53 pm

I say learn to write 1st. U can say more and understand more if u can read it.

Die

Post by Die » Mon 01.09.2006 3:49 am

Yeha, hiragana is the first thing you should learn when learning Japanese (IMO). In my first semester of Japanese, my Japanese teacher started by making us memorize hiragana...but of course, we were taught a few important words/sayings so we could practice the hiragana into actual words.

Personally, I would spend time studying the writing of the language (kanji, memorization of the kana) and then make time for watching Japanese news/and listening to audio tapes while you can as previously suggested as for learning how to "speak"/pronounce the language. This has worked well for me, but you must put forth a lot of effort to memorize all those kanji. It's going to take me years :/