Two Questions

Japanese, general discussion on the language
emingygurl

Two Questions

Post by emingygurl » Fri 01.06.2006 7:48 pm

I've been studying Japanese for about five/six days, and studying the Hiragana. I also love printing lyrics and singing songs from the Naruto movies, and noticed that sometimes the "r" is pronounced almost like an "l", but not exactly. How do you pronounce that? =P

My other question is drawing hiragana, katakana, and the kanji. I've been using this site to learn how to draw them, but recently I've gotten Japanese for Busy People. (Thanks for the recommendation, Clay! ^.^) And a lot of hiragana and katakana are drawn differently. Which style should I use? Thanks!
"It's not that I want to win, it's just that I don't want to lose."- Gackt

sgtkwol

RE: Two Questions

Post by sgtkwol » Fri 01.06.2006 7:56 pm

The "r" sound is about half ways between r and l, but I have seen it described as a soft "d" sound. Just say it like you hear it.

As far as writing. There are a few ways to write some of different hiragana...ex ki, sa, ri, and others I can't think of at this point. I have seen them all a few different ways, you gotta just write them how you learn it, and learn to recognise them depending on their format.

emingygurl

Post by emingygurl » Fri 01.06.2006 8:12 pm

Alright, thanks for the help sgtkwol. ^.^ I can recognize them, I just didn't know if there was only one way of writing them or they could be written in different ways. Thanks!

mandolin

Post by mandolin » Sat 01.07.2006 6:43 am

they're different scripts. The way taught on this site is the typical "handwritten with a pen/pencil" script.

Generally, the other types are print fonts. I mean, really, is there anyone who makes an a look like this? --> a No one handwrites the extra little bit over the top of the 'circle' part of the lower-case a. It's just a typewritten thing.

The even fancier stuff you can find fonts for is simulating calligraphy. Again, you can't write those with a pen or pencil either, you need a brush to make them turn out right. Emulating them with a pen will just look funny.

Use Clay's directions, they're the common way to do it. Learning calligraphy is entirely different.

emingygurl

Post by emingygurl » Sat 01.07.2006 11:11 am

Alright, thank a lot mandolin! =)