question on picking a book

Japanese, general discussion on the language
hamsterfreak4evr
Native language: english

question on picking a book

Post by hamsterfreak4evr » Fri 01.06.2006 8:30 pm

I'm learning japanese and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for really good books to get. Something with easy grammar lessons and a lot of vocab. thanks!
Last edited by hamsterfreak4evr on Fri 01.06.2006 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashitaka

RE: question on picking a book

Post by ashitaka » Fri 01.06.2006 10:33 pm

Essential Kanji has 2000 kanji and a lot more it has grammer parts and is just realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy
good

Harisenbon
Native language: (poor) English

Post by Harisenbon » Fri 01.06.2006 10:48 pm

My suggestions go for
Japanese for busy people (my friend used it for 3 months and tested into a 2nd year class at her school)
and
Genki (I used both of these books, and they're amazingly helpful and well written)

At higher levels, I suggest the Complete Master series of books for the JLPT, but you shouldn't start worrying about that until you get a good foundation from the other text books.

Good luck!
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com

Daisuke
Site Admin

Post by Daisuke » Sat 01.07.2006 7:07 am

ashitaka wrote:
Essential Kanji has 2000 kanji and a lot more it has grammer parts and is just realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy realy
good
If you really, really, really have to post that word so many times, can't you at least spell it correctly.
It was "really" last time I checked. I doubt it changed.

Strawberry_Juice

Post by Strawberry_Juice » Tue 01.10.2006 12:39 am

I know this book sounds cheesy, but Japanese the Easy Way is quite spifftastic in terms of getting down sentence structure and whatnot, if you want to emphasize being able to understand Japanese before writing it. However, it has barely anything on writing. Get yourself a good kanji dictionary (Essential Kanji was already mentioned, and I can assure you that it's very handy), as well as kana flashcards. And practice paper. You know, the kind with all the grids.

If you want to be reeeeeally serious, pick up the Nakama volumes 1 and 2, and the student workbooks.

And just a general dictionary. Random House has a good one. :D

ayaito

Post by ayaito » Sat 01.14.2006 5:15 pm

hamsterfreak4evr wrote:
I'm learning japanese and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for really good books to get. Something with easy grammar lessons and a lot of vocab. thanks!
currently i am using a book called "ultimate japanese". it takes you from beginner level to intermediate in forty lessons.

it includes: (within each and every lesson!)

-a dialogue to start
-the dialogue's translation
-a few pronunciation factors from that dialogue
-vocabulary terms
-grammar
-particles
-a fraction of the hirigana per lesson (in the first few lessons until you know all of them) and then once you finish those lessons they move on to katagana, and then kanji
-adjectives
-verbs
-a vocab list of all the new words learned
-a review section so you can quiz yourself

every five lessons or so there is a test section (like the review section, just for the previous five instead of the previous one lesson)

the book also has a mini-glossary in the back and has the option of coming with a CD/audio tape or not.

its a great book ^^; hope this helps!

ayaito

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Sat 01.14.2006 6:52 pm

Are you still looking for a book? Are you planning on going to a college or university? Are you planning on taking Japanese classes at that college or university? Find out which textbook they're using and get that one - you'll have to buy it eventually anyway. But if you're totally self-study - which i still think is a bad idea for a beginner - you'll want a college level textbook anyway. They'll introduce everything to you - grammar, vocab, kanji, etc. - and in a systematic way with lots of exercises. For a cheaper textbook, I can't bring myself to recommend Japanese for Busy People, but I've seen Contemporary Japanese in the bookstore and it looks like a good one. Yookoso and Nakama seem to be the most used textbooks at colleges and universities in the US.
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪