Great Tool

Japanese, general discussion on the language
LunarEclipse

Great Tool

Post by LunarEclipse » Mon 01.09.2006 1:10 am

Just found this during my search for Japanese vocab lists, thought I'd share....

http://www.emanabu.com

It's free, and allows you to take mock tests for beginner & intermediate. I haven't played around with this feature, but apparently you can join or maybe even make study groups where you can make your own tests. Not sure if it's free though. Anyways, thought I'd share... ;)

sgtkwol

RE: Great Tool

Post by sgtkwol » Mon 01.09.2006 1:29 am

I don't think I'm quite ready for testing of any sorts, but this is being added to my favorites. Thanks for the find.

TokyoRoze

Post by TokyoRoze » Mon 01.09.2006 9:06 pm

I think ur sig is spelled wrong. I do believe its Hajimemashite
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80

mara jade

Post by mara jade » Tue 01.10.2006 1:43 am

si and shi are the same just a different way of using romaji.

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Tue 01.10.2006 2:47 am

That's the trouble with transliteration, but it sure beats the trouble with ideographic characters, am I right? I know next to nothing about Chinese, but I'm told there's one reading per character - makes sense to me. Wouldn't that be nice?
♪夢も見たくない 幸せなんか要らない
恋もしたくない お金なんか要らない
ぼくに必要な眠りを眠らせておくれ♪

IkimashoZ

Post by IkimashoZ » Wed 01.11.2006 11:09 pm

skrhgh3b wrote:
That's the trouble with transliteration, but it sure beats the trouble with ideographic characters, am I right? I know next to nothing about Chinese, but I'm told there's one reading per character - makes sense to me. Wouldn't that be nice?

Japanese kanji only have multiple readings because there were two things happening to the kanji when they were imported. The first thing that happened was the kanji were applied to existing Japanese words (sometimes one, sometimes more), this gives us any number of kun readings. The second thing that happened, was that the Japanese imported whole Chinese words. They tried to mimick the sounds of the Chinese words, but as you've probably noticed, Japanese lacks phonetic diversity as well as tones, and so a number of onyomi readings are born, along with a massive number of homophones (try finding all the "shou"'s sometime and you'll see what I mean). Just to really drive us mad, the importation of kanji didn't happen all at once -- it happened in small bits over hundreds of years. Sometimes, the Chinese pronunciation of a character would change, since all languages naturally change over time. A new word could have the same kanji as another earlier imported word, but a completely different pronunciation. This is where multiple onyomi readings come from.

Although, all is not clearcut in Chinese. While there usually is only one pronunciation for any given character, there are characters with more than one pronuncation given the situation. Ususally this is a matter of a tonal change. 不 (Chinese 'fu') for example can be second tone or fourth tone under the right circumstances. 一 (yi) can be first, second or fourth. The list goes on. But there's still much less diversity per character here than among Japanese kanji readings.
Ist das einen Kanji, dass ich gefunden habe??

ayaito

Post by ayaito » Sat 01.14.2006 5:01 pm

LunarEclipse wrote:
Just found this during my search for Japanese vocab lists, thought I'd share....

http://www.emanabu.com

It's free, and allows you to take mock tests for beginner & intermediate. I haven't played around with this feature, but apparently you can join or maybe even make study groups where you can make your own tests. Not sure if it's free though. Anyways, thought I'd share... ;)

this website sounds great, im checking it out right now. thank you for sharing!