Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Princess Kiko pregnet

Princess Kiko pregnet

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Princess Kiko pregnet

Postby Kurokawa » Wed 02.08.2006 8:30 pm

Has everyone heard the news? Princess Kiko is now pregnet and now there's a chance for the first male heir in 40 years! I just found out while reading my newspaper, it was tucked in the corner in the middle of the front section, paper always has the important news hidden.
くねって進んでください! ヘビ、あなたは私を読みますか? 私たちはあなたのための任務〔使節団〕を持っています。

再び? すごく、男がここで煙中断〔破損〕を説きふせることができませんか?
Kurokawa

RE: Princess Kiko pregnet

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 02.09.2006 9:52 am

Well, she has 2 daughters already, so I'm not holding my breath or anything for a son. ;)

We'll see. I'm kind of curious how this turns out. If she bears another daughter, then they'll probably have to go ahead with plans to revise the constitution.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby sgtkwol » Thu 02.09.2006 11:08 am

You shouldnt hold your breath for a boy anyways...boy or girl it should be another 9 months, you would turn very blue by then.:D
sgtkwol

Postby amego » Thu 02.09.2006 1:51 pm

amego

Postby hyperconjugated » Thu 02.09.2006 8:45 pm

...and if everything else fails, there's still the possibility of hiring some "royal stud" who has paramount record of male bastards and elamonies.
"It's a solid option to revising the constitution" said the red-faced majesty's spokesperson.
(Mainichi Hoax 10.2.05)
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby richvh » Thu 02.09.2006 9:56 pm

Are there no surviving cadet lines left in the Imperial family?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby ashitaka » Thu 02.09.2006 10:09 pm

a male would be nice but a girl is just as good.....
ashitaka

Postby GyakuGirePanda » Thu 02.09.2006 10:26 pm

Yes! I have heard about that! my mommy told me. lol.
if im not mistaken, the royal family hasn't had a son in a long time. a very long time.
GyakuGirePanda

Postby shikamarufoo » Thu 02.09.2006 10:31 pm

I'm sorry to bother you guys with this question but who is Princess Kiko. Is she part of a royal family in Japan? What are royal families like in Japan? I am very interested and would like to know more about this and anything related, hope you guys can understand and help me...please don't flame me for not knowing;)
shikamarufoo

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 02.10.2006 12:10 am

Rich,
The Emperial family is a VERY streamlined thing due to MacArthur's influence in trying to cut off the dead-wood from the family tree. Because of this, there are no "long lost distant relatives" for the emperial family. There is the emperor, the two princes, and the one (not not a) princess.

As it stands now, only the Emperor's sons carry on the Emperial legacy. When a son marries someone, the wife also becomes part of the royal family. However, if the Emperor's Daughter marries, she and her family are removed from the lineage. When a new Emperor is chosen (I believe) the brothers are cut from the family, and the Emperial line will consist only of the Emperor, his wife and children.

I don't know if my explanation is very good. It's all clear up in my head, but it's not making the transition into words. ;)
Harisenbon

Postby richvh » Fri 02.10.2006 10:17 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Rich,
The Emperial family is a VERY streamlined thing due to MacArthur's influence in trying to cut off the dead-wood from the family tree. Because of this, there are no "long lost distant relatives" for the emperial family. There is the emperor, the two princes, and the one (not not a) princess.

As it stands now, only the Emperor's sons carry on the Emperial legacy. When a son marries someone, the wife also becomes part of the royal family. However, if the Emperor's Daughter marries, she and her family are removed from the lineage. When a new Emperor is chosen (I believe) the brothers are cut from the family, and the Emperial line will consist only of the Emperor, his wife and children.

I don't know if my explanation is very good. It's all clear up in my head, but it's not making the transition into words. ;)

So, in short, there are cadet lines, but due to MacArthur's meddling, said cadet lines are no longer considered part of the imperial family.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 02.10.2006 10:37 am

So, in short, there are cadet lines, but due to MacArthur's meddling, said cadet lines are no longer considered part of the imperial family.

Right, so they are unable to provide heirs to the throne.

I think the word meddling is a little harsh. The Emperial Line back before MacArthur stepped in was riddled with leaches and parasites, who had very little blood connection, living off the Empirial family. People who were 5th cousins 9 times removed were still considered part of the royal family, and thus gained all the benefits therein.

*EDIT*
I have edited this thing so many times it's not funny. I'm apparently too tired to be able to write. If I made any mistakes, I'm sorry. ;)
Last edited by Harisenbon on Fri 02.10.2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harisenbon

Postby MetalSlime23 » Sun 02.12.2006 3:16 pm

I have been reading about this as well on http://www.thejapantimes.co.jp. What I find interesting is the determination of the Japanese government to keep the family royal bloodline in tact (the debate about allowing a female heir take the throne). Coming from an American point of view this might not mean anything, but I think it's noble to honor one's history.

Sometimes I feel that American's don't understand what real tradition is.
MetalSlime23

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sun 02.12.2006 4:00 pm

....I didn't know anything about this. I forgot that I need to study Japanese culture and tradition too before I move there in a few years.....
Takeo Saeki

Postby coco » Tue 08.08.2006 10:36 am

According to the news, the delivery (? deliverance? ) day will be early(1-10) September. It is considered the Caesarean birth.

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e03/ed03-04.html
http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e01/ed01-01gr-01.html
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion