Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Osaka accent

Osaka accent

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Osaka accent

Postby tanuki » Sun 03.05.2006 11:07 pm

Hello!

I was just watching anime in Japanese for the first time and there they said that a certain character had an Osaka accent (in opposition to the Tokyo accent of the rest, I guess). But since I'm not used to hear Japanese yet, I can't tell the difference (I do notice he talks a bit differently, but I'm not sure why is that).

So, I was wondering if you could tell me what are the characteristics of an Osaka accent, because it would be interesting to look for them when I hear him speak.

Thanks a lot in advance! Bye!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Osaka accent

Postby kanadajin » Sun 03.05.2006 11:13 pm

Yeah i've heard about that! I don't remember exatcly WHAT I heard because it was so long ago. I think it was that an accent from Osaka is easier.. But don't ask why I don't know..
kanadajin

Postby AJBryant » Sun 03.05.2006 11:35 pm

AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Justin » Sun 03.05.2006 11:41 pm

If you'd like to at least get your hears used to some kansai ben, there's a little voice blog I listen to sometimes done my two gals from Osaka...

http://www.voiceblog.jp/girls/
Justin

Postby keatonatron » Sun 03.05.2006 11:53 pm

It's actually harder because stuff is slurred more.

Lots of ちゃ's and small っ's. Also listen to the end of sentences, a big characteristic is ending particles other than the standard よ,ね, etc.

Of course, that is if he's speaking Osaka-ben. If he's speaking Tokyo Japanese with an Osaka accent... then I have no idea how to explain what would be different.

Although with anime all the characters might talk funny... I wouldn't know.
keatonatron

Postby tanuki » Mon 03.06.2006 9:32 am

Thanks for the information! I will see which characteristics I can find in the character's speech.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby tanuki » Wed 03.08.2006 12:43 am

Nice, today I found one! Someone said "baka" and the character got mad and said "I can stand aho, but I can't forgive baka!" Hehe, this is funny.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby CrazzyWarrior » Wed 03.08.2006 3:06 am

tanuki wrote:
Nice, today I found one! Someone said "baka" and the character got mad and said "I can stand aho, but I can't forgive baka!" Hehe, this is funny.

AIR, that was from the anime AIR, i remember it, if its not where you got it then i dunno but they have a line like that in one of the eps, the young girl, cant remember name says baka, the guy bops her on the head and says that line, or something along thoes lines.

From my understanding the accents are less noticable and different then the Western accents where we put different accents and such on parts of words. in the Japanese language they have word choices, such as Aho and Baka are both translated to english as idiot/stupid, but Aho is one regions emphasis and another region has the other, often one is used as normal and if they want more of an emphasis on it they use the alternative form which is usually more degrading or hurtful in a sence, cant remember about the reginal dialects for the words but thats my understanding of it.
私の名前はセスです。
Watashi no namae ha seth desu.
[英訳] The ko (accumulated wisdom) of an old man is more precious than the ko (shell) of a tortoise.
「甲」と「劫」が同音であるところからできたことわざ。「劫」は極めて長い時間のことをいう。年長者の経験は尊ぶべきである。
CrazzyWarrior

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 03.08.2006 4:55 am

CrazzyWarrior,
That's pretty much what my friend explained to me back when I lived near Osaka. People in Osaka consider baka to be the stronger of the aho/baka pair, while people in the kanto region (and I believe most of Japan) feel that aho is stronger than baka.

But then again, osaka prides itself on being against the norm. People even stand/walk on the opposite side of the street than the rest of Japan.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby keatonatron » Wed 03.08.2006 7:46 am

Really? I thought it was that way here in Yokohama too. At least that's how it was first explained to me. I'm curious now... have to do some investigating.

My teacher used aho in class the other day. It was okay, because the teacher wasn't mad or anything, and the kid really was being an aho... But I don't think I've ever heard a teacher call someone baka.
keatonatron

Postby keatonatron » Wed 03.08.2006 8:18 am

I confirmed with my girlfriend. Baka is definately worse than aho. My girlfriend said it was the opposite in Osaka. :/
keatonatron

Postby tanuki » Wed 03.08.2006 4:32 pm

AIR, that was from the anime AIR, i remember it, if its not where you got it then i dunno but they have a line like that in one of the eps, the young girl, cant remember name says baka, the guy bops her on the head and says that line, or something along thoes lines.

No, it was actually Card Captor Sakura heh heh heh... The character is Kero.

And well, he didn't really say it, he tought it. The English subtitles translated "aho" as "stupid" (or idiot, I don't remember well) and "baka" as "moron". The whole line was something like:

"I think I've lived in Western Japan for too long...I can stand "stupid", but I can't forgive "moron"!"
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby kanadajin » Wed 03.08.2006 6:19 pm

IM NOT SURE. So don't get mad at me -_-" Lol. But one of my friends ( not japanese ) told me that "baka" was VERY offensive in japan and could be one of the worst words.
kanadajin

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 03.08.2006 7:30 pm

I confirmed with my girlfriend. Baka is definately worse than aho. My girlfriend said it was the opposite in Osaka. :/

Ahh, I guess I had it backwards. :/ Gomen
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Justin » Wed 03.08.2006 8:20 pm

Harisenbon wrote:

Ahh, I guess I had it backwards. :/ Gomen

Nope, you had it right there the first time Harisenbon. My wife, along with most all of my Japanese friends happen to be from the Kansai region, and let me tell you, baka is definatly the worst of the two, I know from personal experience. ;)
Justin

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion