Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Yokatta?

Yokatta?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Yokatta?

Postby tanuki » Sat 03.11.2006 4:39 pm

Hello, all!

As I was watching anime, I noticed people often say "Yokatta!" and they translate it as "I'm so glad". The only "yokatta" I know is 良かった, so I found it weird that people say "It was good" to mean "I'm so glad".

So, what happens? Am I hearing wrong or is it just an expression? Or maybe another "yokatta" I don't know?

Thanks a lot in advance for your replies! Bye!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Yokatta?

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 03.11.2006 5:08 pm

You seem to have a lot of questions about these anime situations. Why didn't you just make them on one thread? Then all of your questions could be answered at once and it would take less time and space.

Anyway, I can't help you, because i'm a beginner.
Takeo Saeki

Postby tanuki » Sat 03.11.2006 5:28 pm

Well, I don't know... I just think it could get too messy. I mean, if I make three questions in one, then one response would go to number one, the next one to number two, the next two to both, the next one to number three... It would be harder for me to follow.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Takeo Saeki » Sat 03.11.2006 5:30 pm

Ah, I see. I can understand that.
Takeo Saeki

Postby Sachi » Sat 03.11.2006 7:06 pm

Hmm.... I'm not sure how "It was good." could mean "I'm so glad.". I can understand how it might vaguely mean "I was happy." or "(It was good so) I was happy." something, but that's the past positive. Not sure how the past positive could equal the present positive, or have a different meaning.

I'm guessing, different phrase, or some grammar point I haven't studied yet. :p
Sachi

Postby Jay3205 » Sat 03.11.2006 8:54 pm

I'm pretty sure it is the same "yokatta" as in "it was good". I think they use it in the same way English speakers say "thank goodness". If you think about it, thank goodness doesn't really make sense either, but it works. Yokatta may not make exact sense, but it works in Japanese. :)
Jay3205

Postby AJBryant » Sat 03.11.2006 8:57 pm

Have you never said "Great!" when something spiff happened?

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby keatonatron » Sat 03.11.2006 10:53 pm

"Timmy passed his test"
"Oh good!"

Yokatta is used a lot in Japanese when something.... good happens. I don't know if you've realized it yet, but a LOT of Japanese culture includes simply stating what you see.

For example:
Ostukaresama - "You're tired!"
Oyasumi - "You sleep!"
Ohayou - "It's early!"
Kawaii - "Cute!"
Oishii - "Tasty!"

A lot of conversations have this kind of stuff too... Almost like one person tells a story, and the other person just describes their feelings about what they're hearing.

Anyway, usually when someone explains something good that happened, the other person they will say "Yokatta!" just to point out that it's good news for them, or (if it's better news for the other person) to show they're listening and taking an interest in what's being said.

Like Tony said in another thread, translating requires a lot of cultural knowledge, and therefore 90% of the time a literal translation simply doesn't convey the same feelings.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby TrilinguisT » Sun 03.12.2006 5:37 pm

same thing with nuretteimasu - is wet .. or aiteimasu - is opened.....

just accept the fact that yokkatta means, "it turned out good then, and now, it is a good thing" -- that's how i choose to understand yokatta.
TrilinguisT

Return to Japanese General Discussion