Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Important points when writing in Japanese

Important points when writing in Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Important points when writing in Japanese

Postby paul_b » Mon 10.30.2006 4:34 pm

keatonatron wrote:
paul_b wrote:
I'll just be calling you 'Mike' from now on.

I'm not sure what part of that makes me a Mike

Writing informative posts that people get offended at. :D

, but when you write a long article for purely informative purposes, and someone gets offended and says you're arrogant, it can be kind of a shock.
paul_b

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Mon 10.30.2006 11:37 pm

Oyaji wrote:

As to "sugoi", you are absolutely right: It is occasionally written in kanji. However, the original post said: "Other words that usually don't use kanji". *Usually* being the operative word. In normal writing, すごい is usually written in hiragana.

The point is, learning when and where to use kanji is just as important as learning the kanji itself.

Yeah It weirded me out at first cuz I had no idea what it was when i read it on the tv (Cuz they always write down what ppl say on TV as you know.)
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby keatonatron » Tue 10.31.2006 12:48 am

paul_b wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
I'm not sure what part of that makes me a Mike

Writing informative posts that people get offended at. :D

Haha. That's okay I guess.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby trabia-wind » Wed 02.21.2007 10:28 pm

haha i read this.. but what confuses me is.. on another website someone i know was talking with a japanese (they didn't know each other) and called her "anata", and she said to call girls "kimi" cause they prefer that? o_O
trabia-wind

Postby Shirasagi » Fri 02.23.2007 10:11 am

trabia-wind wrote:
haha i read this.. but what confuses me is.. on another website someone i know was talking with a japanese (they didn't know each other) and called her "anata", and she said to call girls "kimi" cause they prefer that? o_O

The truth is, in real life not even the Japanese people use 2nd person pronouns very frequently. Like rigid male/female speech patterns, they are largely simply part of "movie/drama/anime" speech. In general, a non-Japanese will not have the opportunity to develop most of the kinds relationships that allow for their use. For example, family (immediate and extended). Sempai-kohai. Osana-najimi. The 2nd person pronouns can be, but are not necessarily indicators of closeness and familiarity. Even husband and wife can (and do) call each other by their names rather than "omae/kimi/anata", or they might refer to each other by their title. A lot of older couples refer to each other by "otousan/okaasan".

Not to mention regional differences. There's a generalization that girls in Kansai want to be called "omae" by their husbands/boyfriends, while girls in Kanto hate it. But that doesn't always hold...
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Stefan » Tue 03.27.2007 2:35 am

aaa, so desu. boku wa ima wakarimasu yo. Domo.
Stefan

Postby xeto » Mon 06.11.2007 3:49 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
keatonatron wrote:
kotori wrote:
Kurisuchan wrote:
Can some one explain what お前 is I know the kanji, but I don't understand what it could mean. I was told 君[きみ」 is a very informal you.

お前 - omae - informal/rude 'you'
君 - informal/intimate 'you'

As I pointed out in another thread: In the wrong situation, "お前" is a fightin' word. Go to Japan and use it with people you don't know and you just might get yourself beat up.

One thing Coco pointed out in her post above, learning politeness is very important, because there are very small differences between saying something in a way that will get a good response and saying it in a way that will make the other person angry (note Coco's examples). お前, used in the proper situation, is a perfectly normal, common word. In the wrong situation, it can get you into a lot of trouble.

politeness in every culture is the best.. one of the reasons i always scratch my head when friends always want to know the etchi phrases and bad words.. i just tell them that the japanese don't have any and leave it at that..

besides it is always better to be far too formal than to be far too informal. even the japanese have only so much tolerance for a breach in their cultural etiquette

Thats a ooooooookii quote... :)
"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."

-Plato
xeto

Postby AkiraHatake » Thu 06.21.2007 6:58 am

I don't know how to write Kanji fastly as the characters look so bad. Can someone advise me. Doumo arigatou
AkiraHatake

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.21.2007 8:10 am

Practise, practise, practise. It's really the only way.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Noob » Sat 11.03.2007 3:27 pm

I found this thread both informative, and common sense, in a sense. I've always been polite in english, so it should carry over into japanese. It does amaze me, how different japanese speech is compared to english. We have polite words, but they seem pretty universal. We add a word to make something polite, without changing the entire sentence.
I do hope you can clear something up for me though. I have read that "Watashi" is more of a feminine way to say "I" "me" etc. "Ore" seems to be rude/informal. Should i use "Boku" to not sound rude, or is "Watashi" ok for a guy in polite form. I know women tend to use "atashi" informally(?), at least on TV.
Noob

Postby richvh » Sat 11.03.2007 4:39 pm

"Watashi" is, so far as I know, unisex but fairly formal; it's the "atashi" form that is definitely feminine (and a bit schoolgirl-ish).

"Boku" is mostly masculine and somewhat self-deprecatory, and should be OK for you to use in situations calling for polite speech if you don't want to use "watashi".
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Noob » Sat 11.03.2007 6:19 pm

Hmm, so i can use Watashi for a new boss, and Boku for a stranger, and both will be ok? I just feel that "boku" isn't something you say respectfully. I was under the impression it was informal. Kind of like saying " hey man" instead of hello.
Noob

Postby Shirasagi » Sat 11.03.2007 11:06 pm

Noob wrote:
Hmm, so i can use Watashi for a new boss, and Boku for a stranger, and both will be ok? I just feel that "boku" isn't something you say respectfully. I was under the impression it was informal. Kind of like saying " hey man" instead of hello.

Both would be entirely fine. Boku is not formal, but that doesn't mean it's casual. And, as has been noted before by one of our native speaking forumites, the tone of your statement is influenced by the entirety of your expression, not just what pronoun you use.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Noob » Sun 11.04.2007 12:19 am

Again ... Context is everything. ありがとうごさいます!
Noob

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 11.04.2007 9:39 am

"boku" has a self-deprecatory feeling to it (because of its association with children), which actually does make it suitable for formal situations -- being self-deprecatory is a lot like being humble.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion