Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My nice, traditional Japanese diary

My nice, traditional Japanese diary

Japanese, general discussion on the language

My nice, traditional Japanese diary

Postby tanuki » Mon 04.17.2006 9:19 pm

Hello, people!

Now that I can at least express some basic stuff in Japanese, I was thinking about starting a diary...well, kind of, but that's not really important. It's so that I can see my progress, it's not meant for anyone to see or anything.

The thing is, I want to do it the traditional way (i.e. top-to-bottom, left-to-right), and I want to do it right, so I was wondering if you could give me some pointers. I'm attaching a picture of something I wrote yesterday so you can tell me if the "formatting" is all right. ;) (If you want to correct the grammar or calligraphy it's all right). Are the punctuations marks all right, the quotation marks, etc.?

Is it ok to write the date that way? First month, then day? And should I write the year, too? Do you have any more tips for a diary?

(...) By the way, I really like the traditional way of writing, and I'd also like to write like that sometimes in my computer, but Word doesn't seem to support it. I guess there must be some way, do you know a program which allows it?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help, I'm looking forward for your replies!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: My nice, traditional Japanese diary

Postby richvh » Mon 04.17.2006 9:44 pm

tanuki wrote:
Hello, people!

Now that I can at least express some basic stuff in Japanese, I was thinking about starting a diary...well, kind of, but that's not really important. It's so that I can see my progress, it's not meant for anyone to see or anything.

The thing is, I want to do it the traditional way (i.e. top-to-bottom, left-to-right), and I want to do it right, so I was wondering if you could give me some pointers. I'm attaching a picture of something I wrote yesterday so you can tell me if the "formatting" is all right. ;) (If you want to correct the grammar or calligraphy it's all right). Are the punctuations marks all right, the quotation marks, etc.?

Punctuation looks fine. The quotes should be in their own boxes, and the horizontal bar on them should only go half way across the box.
Is it ok to write the date that way? First month, then day? And should I write the year, too? Do you have any more tips for a diary?

Yes, that's fine (except I've never seen a leading 0 on a month name). If you write the year, it goes before everything else: 2006年4月17日, or if you want to use the Imperial era system, 平成18年4月17日

There was a thread a while ago where someone posted their hand-written translated story (translated to Japanese, that is.) There were some tips given or linked to in there. Let's see if I can find it... yes, here it is.
(...) By the way, I really like the traditional way of writing, and I'd also like to write like that sometimes in my computer, but Word doesn't seem to support it. I guess there must be some way, do you know a program which allows it?

Word actually does support vertical script (at least the latest version of it), but as I don't have Word on my home computer, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to re-look up how to set it up, if someone else hasn't explained before then.
Thanks a lot in advance for your help, I'm looking forward for your replies!
Last edited by richvh on Wed 04.19.2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Tegan » Mon 04.17.2006 10:29 pm

By the way, I really like the traditional way of writing, and I'd also like to write like that sometimes in my computer, but Word doesn't seem to support it. I guess there must be some way, do you know a program which allows it?

I run Microsoft Word 2003 and if you go to Format>>Text Direction you can select the option that lets you write traditionally. It's the very middle option, if that makes sense when you see it, but you'll probably be able to work that out yourself. Have fun!:D
Tegan

Postby coco » Mon 04.17.2006 10:31 pm

狸さん。がんばってますね。
Papa once introduced nice site.

AJBryant wrote:
Forgot to mention how to USE genko yoshi. When starting a paragraph, leave one square blank (that's for the "tab" spacing in typing). See http://www.mori7.net/gennkou.php for "how to use genko yoshi."

From the Practice Japanese section thread.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby tanuki » Wed 04.19.2006 1:28 pm

Cool! Thanks for your help, everyone! If only I could understand those links you gave me... :@.

Oh, and I feel really stupid for not having noticed that "Text Direction" option in the Menu. I'm glad Word supports vertical writing, I'm sure I'll play around with it a lot :) .
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 04.19.2006 3:22 pm

hmm... as much as i hate using Anime as a reference to some of the things i know about japanese ill go ahead and tell you anyways:

after the date of the entry, you should write the kanji oh how the weather was.
晴れ 雨 雪 雲

during last summer, i tryed to make a diary of my summer vacation, but for 2 weeks straight, i didnt do anything and my entries were all the same.. save for a few differences in what i ate and stuff.. it got really boring so i quit... then i got a job i wanted to write about that, but my japanese was waay to limited at the time.. i think i should start one agian, with my japanese, i think i would be able to say what i feel and think and stuff..
TrilinguisT

Postby tanuki » Wed 04.19.2006 3:38 pm

hmm... as much as i hate using Anime as a reference to some of the things i know about japanese ill go ahead and tell you anyways
晴れ 雨 雪 雲

Oh, you're right! I saw that in an anime episode, where a girl who was writing her vacation diary for school had forgotten to put the weather and was worried.

Anway, how should I write it? Just like that: 4月19日 晴れ ? Or in a parentheses or something? And what possibilites are there? Just the ones you wrote or more?

during last summer, i tryed to make a diary of my summer vacation, but for 2 weeks straight, i didnt do anything and my entries were all the same.. save for a few differences in what i ate and stuff.. it got really boring so i quit...

That's what I was referring to when I said it would be "kind of" a diary. I won't write every day, just when something interesting/different happens.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 04.19.2006 3:43 pm

tanuki wrote:
hmm... as much as i hate using Anime as a reference to some of the things i know about japanese ill go ahead and tell you anyways
晴れ 雨 雪 雲

Oh, you're right! I saw that in an anime episode, where a girl who was writing her vacation diary for school had forgotten to put the weather and was worried.

Anway, how should I write it? Just like that: 4月19日 晴れ ? Or in a parentheses or something? And what possibilites are there? Just the ones you wrote or more?

during last summer, i tryed to make a diary of my summer vacation, but for 2 weeks straight, i didnt do anything and my entries were all the same.. save for a few differences in what i ate and stuff.. it got really boring so i quit...

That's what I was referring to when I said it would be "kind of" a diary. I won't write every day, just when something interesting/different happens.

if i remember correctly, it was "sukura the carp captor" -- LOL

anyways, i do recall parenthasies for the weither... and using only kanji would imply that it was "sunny, rainy, snowy" so i dont think hare needs to be ha(re) just the kanji..
TrilinguisT

Postby tanuki » Wed 04.19.2006 6:56 pm

if i remember correctly, it was "sukura the carp captor"

Exactly, it was Cardcaptor Sakura :D .

So, sunny would be 晴, rainy 雨 and cloudy 雲, right? What about hail? And when it's stormy (like lightning storm)?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby TrilinguisT » Wed 04.19.2006 10:07 pm

hehehe - hail - hyou 雹 stormy 荒れ

外に何か :D
TrilinguisT

Postby hamsterfreak4evr » Wed 04.19.2006 11:04 pm

sounds like a good idea:)
hamsterfreak4evr

Native language: english