Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Why You Want To Learn Japanese

Postby redfoxer » Wed 03.02.2005 6:53 pm

everything about japan....it jus seems so surreal and like a dream. It just seems so cool. I love manga and anime and the whole culture thing. Japanese rox. ^_^
日本語はとても面白いと思いますよ!私は日本語が大好きです!
redfoxer

RE: Make up for lost time

Postby nef919 » Thu 03.03.2005 10:31 am

I want to learn Japanese because I totally feel like a tool. Let me explain. I was in stationed in Okinawa for a year(USMC). Instead of taking advantage of the opportunuty as I had in other countries(I learned German while stationed in Germany, I also learned some Russian as I used to visit quite a bit some friends I had made), I basically stayed drunk and partied. The ongoing Yakuza war made things interesting though. Our excuse at the time (sad as was) was that we were never in Oki for long as we were constantly being sent somewhere (Australia, Philipenes, Desert Shield/Storm and finally back to Subic to help with the Pinotubo(spelling?)) so didn't have the time. We did, we just needed an excuse to be drunk. As for me personally looking back I think I was just overwhelemed. Too many things going on and taking peoples word for the fact the Okinawa was not representative of the rest of Japan. Well I realize how lame that is... So here I am many many moons later making up for it. I hope to make another trip to Japan, including Oki and enjoy it all.
Hmmmm. I seem to be rambling...
nef919

Postby Akari_chan » Thu 03.03.2005 1:20 pm

Well, I like learning Japanese mostly because Japan's culture... I got a little "obsessed" since the first time I saw an anime... then I began to look for information about this anime and others, then I began reading a few mangas and learning about Japanese culture, food, costumes, history, etc.

I should say that learning Japanese is one of my favourites hobbies...I'm glad I had found this website...you see, I speak Spanish but I couldn't find a good website in my language. Therefore my English writting and grammar are probably quite poor...sorry, mates.
Mata ne!!
Alicia[mail][/mail]
Akari_chan

Postby SailorPuu » Thu 03.03.2005 5:19 pm

i wanted to learn japansese, becuase i first got intrested into Sailor Moon, now i'm into a lot more anime, and all the japanese culture really fasicnates me.;)
Puu
SailorPuu

Postby Immagnia » Fri 03.04.2005 1:18 am

Haha, I've only eaten sushi, so I can't claim food as a main reason for my interest. Well, except for the candy; good candy.

Really, I'm a technology freak; electronics, the internet, etc. - I enjoy it all. And besides Japan's booming technology industry, I, like many other people mentioned, adore the culture. The numerous festivals - so much different from the few I've experienced in my lifetime. The constant support of tradition: family traditions, national traditions, traditional celebration of nature, etc. The art (sumi-e particularly) and yeah, I find anime and manga somewhat appealing. But the style of architecture, the style of interior design, and the kimonos are all very beautiful. Not to mention, I sport an interest in the music as well.

For a time I learned Japanese in broken segments (around the age of 14 or 15). Now, I get to it whenever I can manage, but I'm sure I'll have more time since I'll have it as a minor in college. I'm very excited about the formal classes. I've also started preparation for my study abroad during my senior year. So much to look forward to, I hope nothing falls through.

I'll wrap it up, lol. Eventually, I hope to move to Tokyo or Nagoya, Japan. I so very wish I was going there this year though: the Expo 2005 Aichi - just the thing to satisfy my technology sweet tooth. Congrats to anyone who will get to have all the fun there.

I'm glad to have joined this board. I hope I get more insight on the Japanese culture and language from all the members.
-- Immagnia
Immagnia

Postby nihonjon » Fri 03.04.2005 1:36 am

I hate to admit it but for me it started with anime and high school girls, however once I lived and worked in Japan I started to enjoy the culture, the way of life, the food, and generally love the people. And I feel pretty safe being there with such low crime and the general attitude of honor and not bringing shame upon the name thing. Yes it's true that most Japanese will not try to harm a 6'4" white blonde monster, but the general feelings I got from walking through the shoten's, running each morning, teaching kids english and boarding the train were wonderful.

Now I study it to keep up my Japanese so that when I eventually return(hopefully permanently) after college or during for ryugaku, so I can go back to the daily life with less headaches than when I first got there.
Last edited by nihonjon on Fri 03.04.2005 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
nihonjon

Postby mxtheory » Sat 03.05.2005 11:07 am

Hi everyone. I'm new here and figured this would be a good first post.

Let's see...why I want to learn 日本語...I have a few reasons, they are:

1. My girlfried is Japanese (and currently living in Japan - talk about long distance!). She was "studying abroad" at a local college (to which I didn't actually go, just hung out all the time) and ended up dating her about a month before she left. I was hesitant in dating her at first since I knew she was leaving and, honestly, I didn't know how the cultural differences would factor in. That was nine months ago and I'm so glad that we took the risk, even if the long distance thing is hard sometimes. Although she speaks really good English, I want to learn Japanese so we can communicate on a different level and to help me understand her more. And now that things are getting a bit serious, she has plans of telling her parents about me this summer and my hope is to visit Japan later this year to meet them. I figure I'd make a pretty good impression if I could actually speak the language a bit.

2. The more I learn about Japan and the culture, the more uttlerly facinated I am with it. I was lucky enough to visit this past New Year's and it changed my whole perspective on Japan and different cultures in general. Needless to say, I hope to live there someday....

3. It's hard and different. I took five years of Spanish in High School / College and didn't really find any of it exciting, nor was I motivated to learn it. With Japanese, I have to basically change my whole way of thinking about language which helps keep me motivated. I also love a good challege.

So I guess that's it!

またね
mxtheory

Postby kossori » Sat 03.05.2005 12:05 pm

ええと、私は日本語で教養、音楽、フード、や映画と思っています。日本と日本人は私にたくらみです。 でも独学してるが難しい私はとても集中いる。
私達は決して実際に存在していない・・・私達が覚えられていなければ
kossori

Postby momotaro » Sun 03.06.2005 11:29 am

I want to learn Japanese because I LOVE anime and manga. Who saw Zatch Bell last night/ I loved it. My goal is to live in Japan. I love the culture and the food. I also love how it has such amazing history. JAPAN IS GREAT. Their music is also good.

By the way I'm only ten and I have spanish ancestors that want me to learn spanish. I will follow my heart and my heart says JAPANESE. SAYOUNARA
Last edited by momotaro on Sun 03.06.2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
momotaro

Postby Numbuh 392 » Sun 03.06.2005 5:02 pm

momotaro wrote:
I want to learn Japanese because I LOVE anime and manga. Who saw Zatch Bell last night/ I loved it. My goal is to live in Japan. I love the culture and the food. I also love how it has such amazing history. JAPAN IS GREAT. Their music is also good.

By the way I'm only ten and I have spanish ancestors that want me to learn spanish. I will follow my heart and my heart says JAPANESE. SAYOUNARA

Really? I didn't know that many people younger than me were going to attempt this-I'm 11... yeah, I like anime and the music- I really wanted to be different from other people my age, too! :) I don't understand why I chose this particular language though- I guess it was in my heart, as you say.:p
Last edited by Numbuh 392 on Sun 03.06.2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Expect to see randomness and sarcasm in my posts.

'初めは無作為に来る、
しかし終りに常に理由がある。' -- 'M' Ayumi Hamasaki
Numbuh 392

Postby TokyoRoze » Mon 03.07.2005 8:49 pm

Coolness
Hiragana: 0/46
Katakana 0/46
Kanji: Kyuu4:0/80
TokyoRoze

Postby Darkslime » Mon 03.07.2005 10:14 pm

My main reason for learning Japanese is to be able to read and understand all those cool video games that make it over here. :(

Also, the music and the anime, of course. I'd really enjoy seeing the pictures where their mouths are actually moving to what they're saying. XD
Darkslime

Postby SCMurphy » Tue 03.08.2005 1:45 pm

I keep planted aquariums and this past November my club hosted a visit from Mr. Amano, the gentleman behind this site: http://www.adana.co.jp/, to try to teach us something about his techniques.

The company publishes a magazine in Japanese and he was kind enough to give us all a year's worth of back issues. Now I find myself trying to learn how to read Japanese so I can learn something from the gold mine he gave us. (That and I bought a subscription.) I was hoping it wouldn't be too hard since it deals with a subject I am familiar with and many of the words are actually borrowed from English. It is just those pesky German words in the katakana and the 'flowery' language that continue throw me for a loop. :)
SCMurphy

Postby Unkl_Shvelven » Tue 03.08.2005 7:55 pm

Why? Because...

JAPAN RULES! :D
Best viewed on a computer with resolution.
Unkl_Shvelven

RE: 日本語のべんきょう

Postby chitra » Wed 03.09.2005 7:46 pm

There are many reasons why I study Japanese,

- I LOVE JAPAN!

- the history and culture are unique due to the fact japan was in isolated country for so long

-J ROCK IS THE BEST

-the food is great but... most of the food comes from China just like the writing system. Actually I wanted to learn Chinese too... but it is a lot more complicated... and when I tried to learn vietnamese @_@ my head hurts... I LOVE LANGUAGES! Someday I want to know a little about every one but... Japanese is my favorite

-My fiancee is Japanese... and I want to be able to talk to his family and freinds in the futrue
ケーキが だいすき です!
chitra

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion