Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Shanadoo?

Shanadoo?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Shanadoo?

Postby tanuki » Fri 06.30.2006 11:17 am

Hello, people!

So, I was chatting with this German friend of mine (who knows I'm learning Japanese) and he asked me how do you say "group" (as in musical group) in Japanese. I told him グループ but he didn't seem satisfied. He told me then that the reason he was asking was because there is this Japanese girl group called Shanadoo who now have a hit song (J-Pop) and he'd read in some website that "Shanadoo" was Japanese for "Girl group" and he wanted to confirm it.

"Shanadoo" looks very weird (not very Japanese) to me, and I didn't find anything in my dictionary, so that's why I'm asking you guys. Does "Shanadoo" really mean "girl group", or what does it mean? Does it even have a meaning at all?

Thanks a lot in advance, bye!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

RE: Shanadoo?

Postby paul_b » Fri 06.30.2006 11:34 am

tanuki wrote:
he'd read in some website that "Shanadoo" was Japanese for "Girl group" and he wanted to confirm it.

I think "some website" was mistaken.
paul_b

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.30.2006 12:19 pm

"Shanadoo" looks very weird (not very Japanese) to me,

Shanadoo is *a* girl group (Here's their official website) but it doesn't mean girl band. They appear to be doing the David Hasselhoff thing -- they're all working in Germany rather than Japan right now.

Remember, to, that "oo" = "ou" as in おう and not as in "moo" (like a cow). The "doo" *may* be 党, which *is* "party, group, band (of people)." It's not a musical band, though. It's the same "band" you'd see in "band of brothers" or party/group as in a political faction.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 06.30.2006 3:58 pm

maybe it is a playon english she and japanese doo with a na as a marker in the middle signifying belonging too.. band of girls (play off the movie band o fbrothers) or once again maybe i am thinking too hard.
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.30.2006 7:41 pm

It's been my experience that with Japanese pop boy- and girl- bands, *any* thinking is thinking too hard... ;) (And I say this as someone who was once a contributing editor for a monthly magazine that was all about the Japnaese entertainment industry.)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to Japanese General Discussion