Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Homosexuality in Japan?

Homosexuality in Japan?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Tsuchinoko » Wed 07.05.2006 6:06 am

What is the culteral take on gay people in Japan? Is it considered taboo? Or is it widely accepted and tolerated? Are they allowed to engage in marriage?

I just never hear about it, from other coutries point of view. In the USA, everyone has mixed feelings about it. Some people abhor it, and rebuke it in the name of religion.

Some people are warm, and kind to gays, and are not gay themselves.

And some people just don't like to talk about it at all.

How is it in Japan?
---
Beginning is easy - Continuing is hard. - Old Japanese Proverb
Tsuchinoko

RE: Homosexuality in Japan?

Postby Takashi91 » Wed 07.05.2006 6:37 am

okay, one of my japanese friends was talking to me on paltalk and a gay guy came in the room. he was acting normal, but you could tell he was gay. my friend was NOT okay with that. maybe thats just her tho...anyway, ive been to japan and i dont think they are as loose about it as in the us, but at the same time its a personal question and its up to the individual. i hope that helped...
Takashi91

Postby billy-jay » Wed 07.05.2006 6:50 am

You don't think they're quite as loose about it as the US? Where are you from?
billy-jay

Postby keatonatron » Wed 07.05.2006 7:01 am

Comparing Japan to the US is very hard to do, because the US is so big and diverse. Are you talking about how gay people are viewed in San Francisco? Or are you talking about how they're viewed in Geroge Bush's home town in Texas?

Homosexuality is actually quite widespread in Japan. However, no one ever talks about it. I didn't see any statistics on it or anything, but I've heard that it's extremely common for high school boys who go to an all-boys school to "experiment" at least once with another guy before graduating. Seeing the way high school guys treat each other on trains and in public, this is not hard to imagine!

But yes, it is very taboo. There is no gay marriage. But that doesn't mean there aren't just as many gay people (percentage-wise) in Japan as there are in America or any other country.
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby b4d0m3n » Wed 07.05.2006 7:16 am

Takashi91 wrote:he was acting normal, but you could tell he was gay.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.
b4d0m3n

Postby keatonatron » Wed 07.05.2006 8:20 am

Heh, there are millions of people who believe acting gay IS normal.

But all that aside, you can never tell anything about people you're talking to over the internet. I have friends who think it's funny to act gay on the net even though they're not, and I have other friends who like to act as if they are overly offended on the net, even though they're not.
keatonatron

Postby orchid5_0 » Wed 07.05.2006 8:54 am

so they keep there homosexuality private.
(that kind of hard when your trying to find a lover publicly than going online)
i wander are there any gay bar or clubs in japan ?
i have another question it some what related to the topic,
do school in japan have sex education ?
Last edited by orchid5_0 on Wed 07.05.2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
brown
orchid5_0

Postby Tsuchinoko » Wed 07.05.2006 9:40 am

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere, that there is a gay district in Japan. Much like the one's in San Francisco.
---
Tsuchinoko

Postby keatonatron » Wed 07.05.2006 9:47 am

There are many gay bars and clubs. The most notorious gay area is Kabukicho, an entire gay district in Tokyo.

I think most gay people find each other at these clubs or online.

Another thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be any homophobia here. I've never heard of anyone getting hurt because they were gay. Of course, that could be because Christianity isn't as big here...
keatonatron

Postby paul_b » Wed 07.05.2006 9:47 am

orchid5_0 wrote:
do school in japan have sex education ?

They do but last I heard it was pretty darn useless.
i wander are there any gay bar or clubs in japan ?

Sure there are.
Last edited by paul_b on Wed 07.05.2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
paul_b

Postby paul_b » Wed 07.05.2006 9:54 am

keatonatron wrote:
Homosexuality is actually quite widespread in Japan. However, no one ever talks about it.

Sure they don't talk about it but I don't get the impression that that's because it's taboo - just not something that people talk about.

One quote I heard that stuck with me was (paraphrased from memory) "Nobody care's if you sleep with another man just as long as you marry a wife and have children to carry on the family." You may just be able to spot the logic flaw there ;-)

Basically though there's generally a lot of emphasis on family name / heritage etc. Less overt discrimination but also (in normal life) a lot less obviousness about it.
paul_b

Postby Oyaji » Wed 07.05.2006 10:11 am

I really don't want to get into this too much, but it should be understood that in Japan sexuality and marriage are not so much moral issues, as they are social issues.

The role of marriage in Japan has traditionally been to bring two families together, and to bear and raise the next generation. The personal pleasures and preferences of those being married has traditionally not been an issue. Infidelity is not considered "sinful" - it is considered wrong if it has a negative influence on the stability of the marriage and the extended relationships. The same could be said of homosexuality. There are many famous people in Japanese history who were homosexual. Most of them had wives and children, and because they are seen as having fulfilled their social responsibilities, their sexuality is really not an issue.

Sex education is very scientific. There is no religious aspect to it, but emotional and social issues such as teen pregnancy are discussed, though quite superficially.
Oyaji

Postby hyperconjugated » Wed 07.05.2006 10:23 am

Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Tsuchinoko » Wed 07.05.2006 11:02 am

I love that picture. XD

I think I've seen that band sing, in a video once. o.O
---
Tsuchinoko

Postby Oyaji » Wed 07.05.2006 11:08 am

Those are actually all famous comedians. For what it's worth, the guy on the front right recently got married.
Oyaji

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion