Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bad expression?

Bad expression?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Bad expression?

Postby Diana » Wed 07.12.2006 6:48 pm

I was at work and went help a workmate, when I came back my "chief", A japanese who's the area chief or alike (the one I'm love with, by the way), was messing my tools under my bench. I said "nani wo shite iru no?" quite like japanese girls do, but just kidding. So I think he got mad at me :(

Is that such bad expression? He got scared (was funny) and just stared me , I stared him also I smile I said nothing then...just went away.

I was kidding, I don't know how to say "can I help with something?". I don't know nihongo so much yet.

I wish I could say "I'm so sorry, I was just kidding, please don't get mad at me...I don't know nihongo so much yet...well... what about a tequila this weekend...I have so much to tell you..." lol

I'm truly in love with him.
I slip, I slid I don't know why I hide
Diana

RE: Bad expression?

Postby keatonatron » Wed 07.12.2006 7:05 pm

There are SO many social factors that could have an effect here. By itself, that expression is perfectly fine.

However, if you're talking to a superior, it is way too informal. And if that superior knows you don't really speak Japanese, he might feel really awkward.

I remember the first time I used that phrase when I was first learning Japanese. I expected a Japanese response, but the other person knew I wouldn't understand them anyway so they didn't give me one :|

Maybe he was thinking of how to explain in English but couldn't, and that's why he said nothing?
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.12.2006 7:52 pm

Man, if I said
何をしてるの?
to my boss, I'd be looking for a new job. ;)
Like Keatonatron said, WAY too casual to use with a boss.

Actaully, I pretty much agree with all of what Keatonatron said.

As an aside, what are you doing in Minokamo?
That's pretty close to where I live.
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby coco » Wed 07.12.2006 8:23 pm

I might not understand your situation enough though, I think if you 've had a good relationship with him already, "nani wo shite iruno?" is not bad.
But if you said "nani wo shite iru? ( without ending"")", it is considered that you have had a suspicion/doubt to his behavior.

どうか しましたか ?
なにか ありましたか?
would be beter, I think.
(hope it makes sense.)

Man, if I said
何をしてるの?
to my boss, I'd be looking for a new job.

たぶん。:D
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Diana » Thu 07.13.2006 5:24 pm

The worst part cames now: he complained my real boss (not sure it was a real complaining) said I got mad with him for the cleaning sticks :o and my boss said it was cos I'm love with him :o That's why he was strange today, sort of a lil smile...I wish I could run away from earth...

keatonatron that is quite right, I don't think he can speak english for some proper answer....

coco I put the but I'm not sure if we have a good realshionship, more like platonic love LoL. I should drop the の cos he was messing my bench, that's is suspicious.

Ah Harisenbon I live and work here in Minokamo about 2 years. I see you are from Ogaki isn't?! Quite close!
I slip, I slid I don't know why I hide
Diana

Postby coco » Thu 07.13.2006 6:00 pm

I don't think this is the matter of language anymore.
but if you would like to have a good relationship with your boss, colleagues, it will be very important to learn polite* expression. 
がんばってくださいね。;)

add:
* polite means "standard" Japanese, not rough/casual Japanese.
Last edited by coco on Thu 07.13.2006 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Return to Japanese General Discussion