Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Reading Group?

Reading Group?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Reading Group?

Postby InsanityRanch » Mon 05.09.2005 12:28 pm

After 3 years of study, I am finally at the point where I can actually read Japanese -- slowly, perhaps, but fairly competently. I am wondering if anyone would like to form a Japanese reading group? I have in mind a group who will agree to read so many pages a week and then discuss them in Japanese or English, ask questions, help each other over rough spots, etc.

Currently I am reading "Shounen H" a fictionalized (I think?) memoir of growing up just before and during WWII in Kobe. Generally, I manage to read 3-5 pages over breakfast each day. It's pretty interesting. I find I learn a fair amount of stuff about life in Japan, often through the things I DON'T understand and have to ask my teacher. Also, I am beginning to internalize Japanese sentence structure and normal expressions in a more natural way than through grammar examples -- or so it seems to me.

Of course, I'm open to choosing another book if people prefer. Perhaps interested people could take a vote? I just hope there will be some interested people!

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Return to Japanese General Discussion