Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

Postby paul_b » Thu 10.19.2006 10:47 pm

tanuki wrote:
What's that め used for anyway? (If I was getting punched, at least I would like to know why ;)).

奴 【め】 (suf) (uk) insulting suffix (attaches to names)
paul_b

Postby datdo » Fri 10.20.2006 12:49 am

yay rikaichan and isn't 氏 pronounced うじ?  where did し come from?
datdo

Postby AJBryant » Fri 10.20.2006 1:09 am

yay rikaichan and isn't 氏 pronounced うじ?  where did し come from?

Do a search on "on yomi" and "kun yomi."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Re: RE: さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

Postby Tenshi_lolli » Sat 05.10.2008 11:02 am

neo2407 wrote:Thanks, I was kinda going mad. I thought I had them all then I saw them and thought "Oh no!! How many more are there?!" lol.
I already knew San, Kun, Chan, Senpai, kōhai, Sensei, Sama, Dono and Tono.
Shi is a strange one...doesn't "Shi" mean death? I mean 天使 (Tenshi) means "angel" and uses 天(ten) the Kanji Heaven and 使(shi) the Kanji for Death. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I probably am.

Yes, Tenshi means angel, shi means death, and "shi no Tenshi" means angel of death. Does "no" mean to give signifigance to or notify, some one told me what it meant before, but I had forgotton. And I have a question, what is Kanji, sorry, but I'm just beggining to learn Japanese as of 3 weeks ago. Another question, the honorific senpai, isn't there also Sempai? Doesn't that mean the same thing, but refering to if it's a female or male?
Domo Arigato!
Tenshi_lolli

Re: RE: さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 05.10.2008 11:21 am

Tenshi_lolli wrote:Yes, Tenshi means angel, shi means death, and "shi no Tenshi" means angel of death. Does "no" mean to give signifigance to or notify, some one told me what it meant before, but I had forgotton. And I have a question, what is Kanji, sorry, but I'm just beggining to learn Japanese as of 3 weeks ago. Another question, the honorific senpai, isn't there also Sempai? Doesn't that mean the same thing, but refering to if it's a female or male?
Domo Arigato!

Just to let you know, since you don't seem to be doing it on purpose, it's generally considered bad etiquette to 'necropost', that is to post a response to a thread that's been dead for a long time like this one has. If you have a question it's best to start a new thread in the appropriate area.

To answer your questions, kanji is one of three types of characters used to write Japanese, the others being hiragana and katakana. (Check the wiki and the lessons for more information).

Senpai and sempai are the same. They are just different ways of romanizing the Japanese word.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Re: さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

Postby Tenshi_lolli » Sat 05.10.2008 11:25 am

Oops, Gomen-nasai , I didn't know that. I won't do it again.
Tenshi_lolli

Re: さん(san), くん(kun), ちゃん(chan), etc.

Postby richvh » Sat 05.10.2008 11:31 am

becki_kanou wrote:Just to let you know, since you don't seem to be doing it on purpose, it's generally considered bad etiquette to 'necropost', that is to post a response to a thread that's been dead for a long time like this one has.

Unless you have something new to add, that is.
Tenshi_lolli wrote:Yes, Tenshi means angel, shi means death, and "shi no Tenshi" means angel of death.

The honorific 氏(shi) has absolutely nothing to do with 死(shi) "death" or 天使(tenshi) angel. As you can see, they are all written with different kanji. If you'd read through the thread instead of answering the original post with no new substance, you'd know that already. And I sort of doubt that neo2487 is still around after a year and a half; it's not a familiar name. (And if he is still around, he probably doesn't need help from someone who doesn't know what kanji are.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion