Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What are "Gaijins"?

What are "Gaijins"?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: What are "Gaijins"?

Postby Hatori » Tue 01.23.2007 9:40 pm

chikara wrote:
Hatori wrote:.....How is it annoying?! It's not flashy!

Something about your avatar makes me want to give the person in it a 上段突き.

Hatori wrote:
...... my parents are 53... they're ancient!!

:o

I guess for an immature child like yourself 53 must seem ancient ;)

All of my friends' parents are all like... 40 and under... So my parents can be like some of my friends' parents' grandparents. :o
About my icon, I've been thinking about changing it... :D I've been getting a LITTLE bored of it. I still like it though. :)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 01.24.2007 10:45 am

Matsumoto_hideto wrote:
Most of the ppl on this forum are "gaijins"

Now, a gaijin is a foreigner, so it's all a matter of perspective.
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 01.24.2007 1:10 pm

Well...in actuality, the word "gaijin" is used by Japanese people with a number of different meanings. Technically it means "foreigner", but it almost always means "non-Japanese." Depending on the context it can have a more specific meaning -- it can mean "someone who does not know Japanese," "someone whose native language is English," "someone with white skin," etc.

(For instance, if a dictionary is labeled as "gaikokujin no tame ni", that has nothing to do with someone's residence status or citizenship -- the meaning of the term here is "Japanese learner".)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Wed 01.24.2007 1:43 pm

Technically it means "foreigner", but it almost always means "non-Japanese."

The shock came when, visiting from Japan to the States, a Japanese tourist I met in the State referred to me to her friend as "gaijin." I pointed out (as a joke) that *she* was the gaijin, as she was in MY country now, and she got all huffy.

Sigh.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Chibichan » Wed 01.24.2007 3:48 pm

[/quote]
I pointed out (as a joke) that *she* was the gaijin, as she was in MY country now, and she got all huffy.

Tony[/quote]

Man. Some people doesn't have humour, do they? :D
Hey^^ A dane here. Wow.
Chibichan

Postby clay » Wed 01.24.2007 4:14 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Dehitay wrote:
What about Makoto who was born and raised on this forum? He's a native, isn't he?

It's a little known fact, but you can actually be naturalized to TJP.

Unfortunately, you then have to be called a TJPian for the rest of your life. ;)

I'll have to print this out and give it to him for his birthday a few years down the road.
clay
Site Admin

Postby jrivera » Wed 04.11.2007 12:02 pm

I know this thread is a few months old but I didn't feel it was worth opening another one.
It seems like gaijin is a controversial word.

Wikipedia says:
Broadcasting and publishing
The word gaijin is classified as racial discrimination (人種差別) and included on a common list of prohibited words used by Japanese broadcasters and publishers.[4] The list recommends the use of gaikokujin instead. However, adherence to these lists is voluntary, and its contents are often criticized as excessively cautious (see kotobagari). Gaijin is not listed on the Broadcasting Code master list of prohibited words that all TV and radio broadcasters adhere to.

So I don't know which conclusion to come to seeing the use of it on here...
1. Is it not as offensive as it's made out to be?
2. Is it offensive but people on here use it anyway?
3. Is it like the "N" word in the sense that it is historically negative but generally acceptable among black people to say it to each other but offensive if someone else says it?

My teacher made it seem like this word should not be used and just expressed it as "no, no, no.. not very nice" and shaked his head. Although I can see that in a teaching institution the language they would want to teach would be more stiff (no slang).

I just want to know if the shirt I saw on cafepress that says "Kiss Me I'm Gaijin" would make the Japanese laugh for all the wrong reasons.
Last edited by jrivera on Wed 04.11.2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrivera

Postby princess_shin_chan » Wed 04.11.2007 12:55 pm

My friend once said to one of our japanese exchange students, "Hey, gaijin!" and the kid just glared at him. My friend didn't know it would be offensive, and neither did I. I learned the lesson then. All I really know is that when you call a Nihonjin a gaijin, they get mad. :@
Last edited by princess_shin_chan on Wed 04.11.2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
princess_shin_chan

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 04.11.2007 2:45 pm

I think it and most political correctness is excessively cautious. However, with the lack of any other guidelines, new organizations must adopt a "higher" level of correctness as they publish or broadcast their media.

as far as I am concerned I don't care if someone calls me gaijin, gaikokujin, american, white, caucasion or whatever. At some point we need to quit finding reasons to be upset with other people, race, creed, poverty level etc and just find ways to get along..

but nice try on the controvercy meter jr.. but it just lacks substance.
two_heads_talking

Postby jrivera » Wed 04.11.2007 4:19 pm

American, white, caucasian is acceptable... but would you be offended by cracker, honky, whitetrash?

It must have, at some point in time, implied something negative otherwise it wouldn't be such a taboo for my teacher. He looked really uncomfortable and was quick to change the subject.

I guess "foreigner" in English doesn't imply anything but you can make it sound negative with your tone of voice and context. Is it more along those lines?
jrivera

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 04.11.2007 4:40 pm

Personally I don't think it's the word itself, but the way it's used and the stereotypes that lie behind it, that is offensive.

However, there are some who feel that words cannot be offensive and that it is always the offended person's fault for "choosing" to be offended.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby datdo » Wed 04.11.2007 4:45 pm

jrivera wrote:
American, white, caucasian is acceptable... but would you be offended by cracker, honky, whitetrash?

I would be offended by all of those except American...but then again I'm black
datdo

Postby jrivera » Wed 04.11.2007 5:17 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
However, there are some who feel that words cannot be offensive and that it is always the offended person's fault for "choosing" to be offended.

So as long as I'm not offended by the "Kiss Me I'm Gaijin" shirt then I should be OK. I just shouldn't show up to class wearing it LOL B)
jrivera

Postby lalaith » Wed 04.11.2007 6:20 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Well...in actuality, the word "gaijin" is used by Japanese people with a number of different meanings. Technically it means "foreigner", but it almost always means "non-Japanese." Depending on the context it can have a more specific meaning -- it can mean "someone who does not know Japanese," "someone whose native language is English," "someone with white skin," etc.

I know this thread is a few months old, but I'm very new here & have just read it since it came up again.

"someone with white skin"?

Just what color skin do the Japanese think of themselves as having? I'm porcelain. I have to buy foundation one shade up from "albino." And I have the exact same skin color my mother had on her untanned parts. I've seen my relatives in Kokubunji, they didn't share my mother's taste for the outdoors and they were all as white as I am. But the Japanese don't think of themselves as having white skin??
lalaith

Postby keatonatron » Thu 04.12.2007 9:02 am

lalaith wrote:
Just what color skin do the Japanese think of themselves as having?

Yellow.
keatonatron

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion