Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Suitable gift for language partner?

Suitable gift for language partner?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Suitable gift for language partner?

Postby Azure » Mon 05.14.2007 5:47 am

Couldn't really think of anything decent that would be an "actual" gift so I figure I could send some small denomination coins from England.

Personally I always look over foreign coins for about 5 seconds, so by that formula I can possibly get 40 seconds of actual interest for under £2. Not bad going I thought.

Feedback?
Azure

RE: Suitable gift for language partner?

Postby lalaith » Mon 05.14.2007 6:23 am

Coins are good. When I was making up gifts to bring to Japan I got notecards made with pressed flowers from a nationally famous garden. Then I went to the coin store and bought a bunch of "buffalo" nickels -- they stopped making them decades ago & I figured the buffaloes made them doubly American. Then I got some commemorative stamps -- I think they had Marilyn Monroe on them -- from the Post Office. I put the stamps and coin in the notecard and, voila, it was a nice little piece of America.

You could also consider something with the royal family on it. It may be old hat to you, but to your language partner it would be something uniquely British. The Japanese used to be absolutely crazy about Diana, Princess of Wales.

Just make sure whatever you send doesn't weigh much. Postage rates to Japan can be ridiculous (at least from the U.S.).
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

RE: Suitable gift for language partner?

Postby Azure » Mon 05.14.2007 11:14 am

Yeah it is pretty expensive here too. I thought the coins would be good, I guess most Jpaanese know as much of our Royal family as I do the Japanese Emperor, so that is great advice, thanks.

Shakespeare any good?
Azure

Return to Japanese General Discussion