Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Postby kyo_sora_forever » Sat 05.19.2007 6:46 pm

Konnichiwa minna san! hope every one is doing well with their studies^-^! Is studying Japanese hard for you? I find it a little diffucult (KANJI= COMPLICATED)
Have you already mastered Japanese? How long did it take you? What other languages have you encountered in Japan? I REALLY wish that someone in japan spoke Creole ..... Creole is a dialect of french spoken in Haiti
kyo_sora_forever

RE: Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 05.19.2007 9:02 pm

I mastered Japanese in two weeks and became a grandmaster in a little over a month. I have レろろて skillz.

What difference would it make to you if somone in Japan spoke Creole?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Sat 05.19.2007 9:53 pm

kyo_sora_forever wrote:
Konnichiwa minna san! hope every one is doing well with their studies^-^! Is studying Japanese hard for you? I find it a little diffucult (KANJI= COMPLICATED)
Have you already mastered Japanese? How long did it take you? What other languages have you encountered in Japan? I REALLY wish that someone in japan spoke Creole ..... Creole is a dialect of french spoken in Haiti

Language is something that one might take ages to master and someone might even take weeks or months to master depending on the situation. Hence, it really depends.
terence_hideyoshi

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 05.19.2007 9:58 pm

I have a hard time remembering words.

Mike Cash wrote:
I mastered Japanese in two weeks and became a grandmaster in a little over a month. I have レろろて skillz.

What would we do without you...

I originally read that as 're-ro-ro-te'... You know, I like it better than '1337.' It's much classier.
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby AJBryant » Sun 05.20.2007 1:13 am

I have レろろて skillz.

Fargin' brilliant.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 05.20.2007 8:56 am

That reminds me of something I saw in Borders once -- Brady Games actually published a guide for a Pokemon game that was not out in English (very unusual, but I guess the popularity of Pokemon as well as the ability of the GBA to play import games justified it). One of the first parts was a little tutorial on how to pick katakana and hiragana that looked like English letters so that you could try to spell your name for the main character.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby katafei » Sun 05.20.2007 9:14 am

kyo_sora_forever wrote:

Learning Japanese is a breeze . . .
I'm just taking a little longer to enjoy the proces ^_^

Does it help if someone in Holland knows some Kiswahili?
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby CajunCoder » Sun 05.20.2007 2:20 pm

kyo_sora, I suggest that you don't attempt learning Japanese. It's hard, unnecessary, and plenty of people speak English. If you use English words and hand gestures creatively, you can usually communicate with almost anyone.

But most of all, you don't seem to love it or want to learn it. Instead, you simply want to avoid it. If that is the case, don't even go to Japan. Stay as far away from Japanese as you can.

And to answer your question... I'm sure there is at least one person in Japan who speaks Creole French, but good luck finding him.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Sun 05.20.2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby Miyu-rin » Sun 05.27.2007 5:36 pm

I speak a little Creole. Even though I'm Haitian, english is my mother language. So I don't really speak it all that well..

I'm getting a bit better a Japanese, but not really since I just started a little while ago... xD;
Miyu-rin

Postby flammable hippo » Sun 05.27.2007 9:29 pm

Have you already mastered Japanese?

No, but I can also honestly say that I haven't completely mastered English either, and I'm a native speaker. I would even go as far to say that even native speakers of Japanese haven't even completely mastered their language. (mastering is different from fluency)

Mastering a language is something that I don't think can be done, whether you're native or not. You'll always make mistakes. For example, about a week ago I used the word "teached" in a sentence...and I can never spell the word "portrayed" correctly, always comes out as portraid or portrade.

So my goal with Japanese is to get to a point where I can communicate my thoughts clearly, effectively and in a dignified way and be able to talk about a wide range of subjects from politics to beenie babies. Mastering it is something that is out of anyone's range IMO.

KANJI= COMPLICATED

kanji are actually pretty easy once you get the hang of them, the only thing is that there are a lot of them. But kanji in and of themselves aren't hard.
Last edited by flammable hippo on Sun 05.27.2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Postby megavinx » Sun 05.27.2007 10:14 pm

The difficulty in learning the language dependson who uses it. Every one has their own approach and understanding on this matter. I have already studied Japanese for about a year now and I have to admit I still retain very few words and kanji. As a suggestion, try watching very interesting Japanese tv programs to keep that momentum going. As a little hint, there are some secrets that only the Japaneseknow and still use today, that will keep you going. And as for the dialects, have you tried Osaka-ben? ;) B) :D
the return of the vinx...
megavinx

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 05.28.2007 7:12 am

God spare me from the gaijins who want to jump straight into Kansai-ben, most especially those who have never been in the country at all let alone lived in Kansai. Jesus Christ they're a tiresome bunch.

@Hippo: My goal was "reasonable proficiency in 10 years".
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby poppop » Mon 05.28.2007 8:24 am

flammable hippo wrote:
Have you already mastered Japanese?

No, but I can also honestly say that I haven't completely mastered English either, and I'm a native speaker. I would even go as far to say that even native speakers of Japanese haven't even completely mastered their language. (mastering is different from fluency)

Mastering a language is something that I don't think can be done, whether you're native or not. You'll always make mistakes. For example, about a week ago I used the word "teached" in a sentence...and I can never spell the word "portrayed" correctly, always comes out as portraid or portrade.

So my goal with Japanese is to get to a point where I can communicate my thoughts clearly, effectively and in a dignified way and be able to talk about a wide range of subjects from politics to beenie babies. Mastering it is something that is out of anyone's range IMO.

Couldn't have said it better myself, I still make mistakes when i'm speaking or writing swedish. I think i even do more mistakes at my Swedish essays than my English essays...(Yeah, really!)... but yeah it's ofcourse alot easier for me to speak swedish, but for what i know now i'm not fluent in any language.
Last edited by poppop on Mon 05.28.2007 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
poppop

Native language: Swedish

Postby AJBryant » Mon 05.28.2007 1:27 pm

God spare me from the gaijins who want to jump straight into Kansai-ben, most especially those who have never been in the country at all let alone lived in Kansai. Jesus Christ they're a tiresome bunch.

Preach it, brah.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Gundaetiapo » Mon 05.28.2007 4:59 pm

What exactly is the problem you've seen from this "bunch"?
Gundaetiapo

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion