Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Is Japanese hard ?+ other languages spoken in Japan

Postby AJBryant » Mon 05.28.2007 6:07 pm

It's like someone wanting to learn "Valley Girl Speak" or "Southern Trucker" before they get around to actually learning the REAL language first.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby punkgrl326 » Mon 05.28.2007 8:09 pm

I think the hardest part of learning japanese for me is the vocabulary. Even though I know the hiragana and the meaning of the word, I usually forget the kanji. However, I try to compensate for that by reading japanese text wherever I can find it: articles, raw manga scans, song lyrics, etc.
Btw, I mastered pig latin in 1 day ;)
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby Chris Hart » Mon 05.28.2007 10:18 pm

punkgrl326 wrote:

Try the real thing. You probably see it more often than you realize. (if you are in the states, just look in your wallet)
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby punkgrl326 » Tue 05.29.2007 5:07 pm

Chris Hart wrote:
punkgrl326 wrote:

Try the real thing. You probably see it more often than you realize. (if you are in the states, just look in your wallet)

Huh-ay? All-ay I-ay ee-say is-ay oney-may :p
"Every act of conscious learning requires the willingness to suffer an injury to one's self-esteem. That is why young children, before they are aware of their own self-importance, learn so easily."

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby richvh » Tue 05.29.2007 6:00 pm

And on that money you'll find Latin (or, at least, on the coins and singles) assuming it's American money in your wallet.

On the reverse of the coins: E Pluribus Unum (pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters; not sure about the current crop of dollar coins.)
On the great seal on the back of the singles: Annuit Coeptis and Novus Ordo Seclorum
No Latin I can find on a $10 note, and I don't have any fives or twenties to check at the moment.

Edit: Your pig latin leaves something to be desired.
Huh-ay? All-ay I-ay ee-say is-ay oney-may

Uh-hay? All-way I-way ee-sa is-way oney-may is how it should be, by the Pig Latin rules I learned in my youth.
Last edited by richvh on Tue 05.29.2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby punkgrl326 » Tue 07.03.2007 1:23 pm

richvh wrote:

Edit: Your pig latin leaves something to be desired.
Huh-ay? All-ay I-ay ee-say is-ay oney-may

Uh-hay? All-way I-way ee-sa is-way oney-may is how it should be, by the Pig Latin rules I learned in my youth.

It was just the H. Everyone makes mistakes ;)

Edit: richvh's quote was too long
Last edited by punkgrl326 on Tue 07.03.2007 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Thomas Szasz
punkgrl326

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.03.2007 4:14 pm

Mastered... Oh heavens. I feel as though I breezed through hirigana but katakana is killing me and I can't figure out why. THREE DAYS! Three days to learn five characters! You want to talk about feeling like a loser.

Unfortunately, I would learn much much faster in a school environment. I picked up German in a year (and didn't forget it without three years of disuse- I can still understand some of my favorite German songs). I seem to understand better if someone TELLS me everything, and I ask questions. For I ask many questions.

Also, it doesn't help that the one book-and-cd set I have insists on breezing through everything in the beginning. I just cannot find a good beginner beginner book, or cd, or book/cd. Not on the cheap anyways. Everywhere I turn it seems as though books and media want to either teach me to speak as though I were a businessman, or a student. I am neither. I'm a boring 20-year-old woman with a desire to learn a language and twelve contradicting sources.

But, on the bright side, I can now officially introduce my wife. :o And translate romaji into hirigana! I think that's the only thing that has kept my ego from suffering irrepairably. :(
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby john2 » Tue 07.03.2007 4:28 pm

what is pig latin?
john2

Postby Xurma » Tue 07.03.2007 4:47 pm

I don't know what pig latin is, I think it's just a joke, a language that you can speak without knowing everything, in Finland it's called pig's german :)

flammable hippo wrote:
Have you already mastered Japanese?

No, but I can also honestly say that I haven't completely mastered English either, and I'm a native speaker. I would even go as far to say that even native speakers of Japanese haven't even completely mastered their language. (mastering is different from fluency)

Mastering a language is something that I don't think can be done, whether you're native or not. You'll always make mistakes. For example, about a week ago I used the word "teached" in a sentence...and I can never spell the word "portrayed" correctly, always comes out as portraid or portrade.

So my goal with Japanese is to get to a point where I can communicate my thoughts clearly, effectively and in a dignified way and be able to talk about a wide range of subjects from politics to beenie babies. Mastering it is something that is out of anyone's range IMO.

KANJI= COMPLICATED

kanji are actually pretty easy once you get the hang of them, the only thing is that there are a lot of them. But kanji in and of themselves aren't hard.

That's right, in theory and practicly you cant master language completely because there are just too many words to remember, and most of them are no needed. It's enough when you can express yourself properly and when others understand you perfectly.

megavinx wrote:
The difficulty in learning the language dependson who uses it.

That's right. For some people who have English as a native language, pronuncing Japanese may be hard. For me pronuncing Japanese is very easy because Finnish has very identical pronunciation compared to Japanese.

And to the creator of this topic.
Yes, Japanese is considered one of the worlds hardest languages along with Mandarin, Korean, Arabic, Finnish and etc.

But if you love and want to learn Japanese enough, then it's not hard, goes with the saying:

"The most difficult language to learn,
is the one of a country you hate.
The easiest language to learn...
The one from a country you love." I found from internet and it's good. :)

Of course you need to put little effort to learning, but if you enjoy learning, then it's the most effective way to learn a language, if you have good materials along with it.

You dont learn languages effectively in school if you're forced to do it, I'm forced to learn Swedish in school, and my grades are very bad for it. ;) (Only if you don't like the language you're being forced to learn, however, I'm going to increase my Swedish skills because I want to get better grades.)
Last edited by Xurma on Tue 07.03.2007 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Postby SenescenceReign » Tue 07.03.2007 4:51 pm

Igpay Atinlay is almost a dead language! Few of us enjoy it's eliteay eelingfay.
/relurk
SenescenceReign

Postby Shirasagi » Wed 07.04.2007 7:41 am

Pig Latin is what pig academics used to correspond with pig academics from other countries, until the ascendancy of Pig English in the 19th century. Now it's pretty much a dead language, although it's still heavily used in the Pig Vatican.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion