Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Please review new Wiki articles

Please review new Wiki articles

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Please review new Wiki articles

Postby flammable hippo » Thu 06.07.2007 9:47 pm

NocturnalOcean did state though that the rule he was mentioning only applied when demo was being used as the word 'but' but didn't say anything about the other usages of it. Though it was implied by his post that there were other ways of using demo.
Last edited by flammable hippo on Thu 06.07.2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two muffins were baking in an oven. One turns to the other and says "sure is hot in here." The other replies "AH TALKING MUFFIN!"

二つのマフィンがオーブンで焼かれていた。片方のマフィンがもう一方のマフィンに向かって、"暑いね”と言った。すると、話しかけられたほうのマフィンは"アッ!喋るマフィンだ!”と驚いた。 :)
flammable hippo

Native language: English

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 06.07.2007 11:55 pm

Yeah as mentioned above, I meant when Demo was used as the conjugation "but", similar to ga and keredomo. This is often one of the biggest mistake people do in the beginning when learning japanese, to use demo for but anywhere.
You get sentences like : 日本語を勉強しているでも、上手ではない
Where the proper conjunction would が or けれども.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby paulrowe » Fri 06.08.2007 10:59 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
I just want to point out that, when Demo is used as "but" like you hear describe, it can ONLY be used as a sentence starter, never as a conjuntion in the middle of a phrase.

Thank you for making this point. I have felt uncomfortable using でも that way in the middle of a sentence because it didn't sound natural. I had never understood why and I don't think I knew intellectually that it didn't belong there. I have removed でも as a conjunction, but a note referring to it remains in the section.
Paul Rowe
paulrowe

Postby witega » Fri 06.08.2007 4:05 pm

Am I the only one that read the title "Japanese Slurs" and thought it was about 'slurs' meaning insulting ways of referring to or about others? I think something like "Japanese Contractions" would be clearer--that's what I've been looking for for a while.
witega

Postby paulrowe » Fri 06.08.2007 4:49 pm

witega wrote:
Am I the only one that read the title "Japanese Slurs" and thought it was about 'slurs' meaning insulting ways of referring to or about others? I think something like "Japanese Contractions" would be clearer--that's what I've been looking for for a while.

Well, there is that definition of "slur" certainly, but a contraction is the abbreviation of a lengthier phrase by way of removing a portion of the phrase.

The title is correct, given the material that it presents, but it might nonetheless be a good idea to rename it so that someone doesn't go there in the hopes of finding some racial slurs or some such in there. One tends to learn enough "bad language" as it is without having to look it up anyway, but I suppose there are some who do seek that out.
Paul Rowe
paulrowe

Postby richvh » Fri 06.08.2007 5:41 pm

How about "Slurred Japanese" as a replacement?
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion