Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - slang/dialect

slang/dialect

Japanese, general discussion on the language

slang/dialect

Postby Nexus Lord » Wed 06.29.2005 8:02 am

hey all
im scottish and although here in bonnie old scotland we speak english, it is a very different english than that used in england or america.

for instance the way we 'say' yes is 'I' (pronounced eye)
'no' is 'naw'
'what' is 'wit'
etc,etc,

for someone learning to speak english this would be very confusing for them, i was wondering if it was the same over in some parts of japan
:@:DB):p:o:(:|;):);):|:(:o:pB):D:@
Nexus Lord

Native language: English (英語)

RE: slang/dialect

Postby dragon89 » Wed 06.29.2005 10:56 am

I believe it is the same in Japan. There are differences between the regions.
dragon89

Postby kanadajin » Wed 06.29.2005 10:58 am

if they use slang ?? They might have some slang but it would be like canada or america because we say lol instead of haha some times.. or brb, g2g, stuff like that so japan may have slang like that but they use it in every part of japan because its the same country..

that may be confusing but i just woke up and i'm tired so yea..
kanadajin

Postby Forever Yours » Wed 06.29.2005 11:02 am

Weeeeeeelllll........in Japan they do have different words for the same meaning....Like in the Uk.....with scotland and england........etc
Even Heaven Is Hell Without You Here...
Forever Yours

Postby lomagu » Thu 06.30.2005 6:09 am

ya, in Japan they have a lot of slang. They seem fond of shortening long words. For example, "kimochi warui" => "kimoi".

Each area of Japan has it's own little set of words or phrases that people like to use. Like, "I'm hungry" is sometimes, "onaka ga suita" or "onaka ga hetta" depending on where you are.

Also, many times, words that end in "ai" or "oi" sounds change to "ei." Example, "sugoi" => "sugei" or "shiranai" => "shiranei" (actually, sometimes people just say "shiran").

:D:D
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.☆-D.Adams
lomagu

RE: trust me

Postby Matsumoto_hideto » Thu 06.30.2005 5:40 pm

trust me some dialects make huge differences

ex my friend that goes to waeseda (shes from tokyo)

went to osaka
and she told me she had a hard time understanding them.

and she told me its kind of like a different language

but not like madarin contonese
kind thing
自由た〜!!!
All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
Matsumoto_hideto

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.30.2005 6:21 pm

One of my friends is from southern kyuushuu. When she studied abroad in America, her roommate was from aomori ken. They had such a hard time understanding each other's japanese that they always spoke to each other in english, because it was easier. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby kanadajin » Thu 06.30.2005 7:16 pm

trust me some dialects make huge differences

ex my friend that goes to waeseda (shes from tokyo)

went to osaka
and she told me she had a hard time understanding them.

and she told me its kind of like a different language

but not like madarin contonese
kind thing

I don't think thats true because i have over 100 Japanese friends and some live in osaka and none of them said its any different from any other place and when i ask them how to say stuff in Japanese they say the exact same thing as other friends who live in tokyo and other places
Last edited by kanadajin on Thu 06.30.2005 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanadajin

Postby Gakusha » Thu 06.30.2005 8:25 pm

I'm definitely not an expert on this, but if your friends are younger, their slang and dialects would be similar because I think that the Tokyo dialect is taught in schools.
赤い猿の学者
Gakusha

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.30.2005 11:45 pm

Official Japanese is taught in school, but it's not what is used in daily life. Everyone can speak Official Japanese, but depending on how far removed your area's dialect is from the Official Language, you may find it very hard to speak "correctly." Words are words. Mouse is mouse is mouse is mouse. Slang is completely different.

Ask someone from the southern United States to say Dog. Doesn't sound at all like a northerner's pronunciates. Try to get a southerner to talk without saying y'all once, and you'll see what it's like for Japanese people and their dialects.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby no1sleepintokyo » Fri 07.01.2005 2:39 am

I'd say there is. Also, there is a change between generations. My greatgrandmother... IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND. Infact, when I wrote her in Japanese, I got back... a mess of old japanese that is not used anymore. I think also, it is somewhat hard for the younger generation to communicate with the older? atleast, that is my problem.
世界の一番シンガー(笑)
no1sleepintokyo

Postby MenomaMinx » Thu 07.07.2005 2:55 pm

That's true what you're saying about the language changing between generations. Just yesterday, when I was buying my new green goddess dictionary, I happened upon some of its translators web sites while trying to get the best price. Anyway, two of them commented separately on the fact that they had to delete entries from the previous edition because the words are no longer used -- and last edition is only 29 years ago! Literally, in the amount of time I've been alive, entire words have become extinct! The kind of thing that really makes you think -- or maybe just bang your head into a wall ;-)
Click below daily or a bunch of starving people will come to your house to eat you!(Either way, problem solved :-)
http://www.quickdonations.com/ http://www.donationjunction.com
MenomaMinx

Postby Mukade » Fri 07.08.2005 8:01 am

A quick example of the kind of difference you can run into between dialects:

Tokyo dialect - 何してるの?
Osaka dialect - 何やってんの?
Nagasaki dialect - 何しとっとね?

They all mean exactly the same thing, but the words and the intonation are very different. Tokyo and Osaka dialects are heavily covered in the media, and so everyone here has gotten very used to them. Other dialects, on the other hand, such as Nagasaki, Okinawa, Aomori, etc, are not as well know, and even Japanese people often have difficulty understanding people from these more "far flung" parts of Japan.

Keep in mind that the further into the countryside you get, the stronger the dialect gets. I'd guess that the majority of your friends come from the city, kanadajin, which would explain why their Japanese is more "standardized."
Mukade

Native language: English

Postby Beau » Mon 09.19.2005 12:56 am

EGs:

Standard Japanese: Kono hon wa totemo omoshiroi da.

Osaka Japanese: Kono hon wa metcha omoroi ya.

Standard Japanese: Chigau, Chigaimasu, Chigaimasen

Osaka Japanese: Chau, Chaimasu, Chaimahen

Standard: Sorya nanda?

Osaka: Sora nanya?

There always seem to be people eager to learn osaka-ben. My girlfriend is from Osaka, and one of my Sensei's father's spoke Osaka-ben, so she knows some of it. With their help, I'm learning it. Maybe if people are interested, I will post an article when I get a little better?
Beau

Return to Japanese General Discussion