Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Teen japan fans

Teen japan fans

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Teen japan fans

Postby Xurma » Sat 06.16.2007 12:00 pm

Ok I now made a thread about this (Edited to more formal)

In here Finland is a bunch of irritating 9-15 or older people (most girls) who have got a wrong image of Japan due to anime or manga.

It's annoying to see them talking about Japan like they would know everything about it, though they don't even know any facts. Some of them think that Japan is all paradise, and believe that if they go to Japan, it's an all motion of fashion there.

Some of them wear like weirdos, other ones are little brats, dreaming all the time about going to Japan without knowing facts about the real one.

It annoys me and sure annoys others too, because those Japan fanatics have made a bad reputation to Japanese learners and those who are really interested about Japanese culture and etc. That's why when I have sometimes said that I'm studying Japanese, then many people have reacted like: "Oh, so you want to be able to read manga?" or "So you want to be able to watch anime without subtitles". That is mocking against those who are interested about real Japan and Japanese language.

I don't straightly hate those Japan fanatics, but the wrong and distorted knowledge they have of Japan because of anime, manga, or some other things.

And I too watch anime, but it doesn't affect my behavior, knowledge or clothing, and I'm sure that many else does the same.

Have you experienced the same?
Last edited by Xurma on Sat 06.23.2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

RE: Teen japan fans

Postby aKuMu » Sat 06.16.2007 12:22 pm

Thats all over the World ;)

Few weeks ago here in Germany was a culture event called Japan Day. And guess what, besides all the "normal adults" there where thousands of these kiddie cosplayers. I don't know but somehow it was embarrassing...

It was in Duesseldorf where the 3rd most Japanese in Europe live.
I always ask me what they think when they see all these freaks, boys dressing as girls, fat girls dressing as boys ect. They must think that everyone thinks that Japan = Anime and Freaks
It was no freakin Anime Convetion but a "normal" Culture Event

If I would be a Japanese i wouldn't seek a conversation with them.. not that i'd do it anyway ;)

I laughed at the imagination when the project "Germany in Japan" was, and all the Japanese would attend in Lederhosen, a Hat and a Bierkrug dancing to Folksmusik...
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Xurma » Sat 06.16.2007 12:30 pm

I see.

That would be embarrassing for me too, or more likely annoying.
Last edited by Xurma on Sat 06.23.2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Postby tanuki » Sat 06.16.2007 12:55 pm

Thank God you don't see those here, or at least I haven't seen them. I haven't seen any "hardcore" otaku (male or female), either.

And I would like it to stay that way.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Ezrach » Sat 06.16.2007 2:13 pm

I watched an NHK program called "Cool Japan" just last night, and they went to interview people in New York who are "crazy about Japan." It was embarrassing. I had to turn it off.
Ezrach

Postby Xurma » Sat 06.16.2007 4:54 pm

nothing
Last edited by Xurma on Sat 06.23.2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.16.2007 5:48 pm

I remember Japan Day in New York... The crazies that would appear on TV for that type of program are pretty much the people you don't EVER want to see. Well there is a minority of the spectrum that isn't broken and I guess you could call "normal" otakus. :(
SirFirestorm

Postby Teh_Freak » Sat 06.16.2007 6:11 pm

There are a few hardcore 'otaku' around here, in fact I work with one. Most people that I've seen though aren't that hardcore as you've pointed out, only one or two I've met are that bad. A few friends of mine also managed to get me to go to AMA06 and Nekocon06, some cosplayed, others didn't; but we all just had a good time; I did have the misfortune of meeting some people just slaughtering the Japanese language, a few actually thought かわいい meant "cool".

Regarding the romaji... eugh
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Hatori » Sat 06.16.2007 6:19 pm

I'm really into manga and some animes and I'm 14. I'm not all KAWAI1!-flavored.

I got into Japan before I got into manga because I've met Japanese people before I liked what they did culturally and different things. I'm more mature than some people when it comes to Japan within your age bracket you spoke of.
Being as an awesome Republican, though it has nothing to do with being a Republican lol, I feel that I think and get deeper into things that want to know more about.

And yes, some irritating people I know are just only into more of the technology and animes there is. My friends and I actually think about the culture and whats more important than our humourous-romance shows and books we read from Japan.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Teh_Freak » Sat 06.16.2007 7:09 pm

Heh, it was the Japanese writting system that acutally got me interested in the language far before I watched any anime. Still, I can't really see how people get so engrossed into a show where it makes them raving lunatics at times. Yeah, I'm really into some anime, but I'm also really into CSI and various comedies like King of Queens. It's all the same to me.
Last edited by Teh_Freak on Sat 06.16.2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Postby Xurma » Sat 06.16.2007 7:41 pm

I got my interest to Japan because of it's writing system too.
Last edited by Xurma on Sat 06.23.2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xurma

Postby Kashin » Sat 06.16.2007 7:42 pm

I really enjoy anime/manga. I wouldn't be so interested in the rest of Japanese culture if it weren't for such. But this reminds me of my ex-girlfriend: We kindof hooked up because we shared an interest in anime/manga, however i'd been studying the actual culture as well. So I asked her, "Hey do you even like Japanese Culture or are you just interested in anime and manga?" Here reply was simple, "Pretty much just anime and manga." Needless to say that relationship didn't last more than six months. B)
What good is a farmer who tills the soil, but forgets the seed?

~落ち葉は風を恨まない~
Kashin

Postby SirFirestorm » Sat 06.16.2007 9:14 pm

Hmm right, I enjoy anime/manga and the cultural and language as well. I'm probably one of those hardcore otaku, but I see no reason to change how I dress or talk and embarrass myself and others with that stuff. I dont get the kind that feels the need to perpetuate negative stereotypes of otaku. I am learning the language for other reasons not quite as shallow as wanting to watch anime without subtitles though.
SirFirestorm

Postby john2 » Sat 06.16.2007 10:29 pm

SirFirestorm wrote:
I remember Japan Day in New York... The crazies that would appear on TV for that type of program are pretty much the people you don't EVER want to see. Well there is a minority of the spectrum that isn't broken and I guess you could call "normal" otakus. :(

unbelivable I actually, am more of your non broke "normal" kind.
EDIT:im just confused siriosuly i am someone clear up my confusion
Last edited by john2 on Sat 06.16.2007 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john2

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 06.17.2007 2:43 am

john2 wrote:

EDIT:im just confused siriosuly i am someone clear up my confusion

Unfortunately, none of us are licensed to prescribe psychotropic drugs.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion