Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Teen japan fans

Teen japan fans

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Teen japan fans

Postby TrilinguisT » Fri 07.20.2007 1:50 am

They're called japanophiles and the term is used negatively most of the time.
TrilinguisT

Postby ikemen » Fri 07.20.2007 2:57 am

I do not dislike the otaku and super anime teenagers, its their gig, we have to respect that.
though its there fault if they wish to cloud their perspective with nonsense yaoi, girly, or bloodthirsty fantasy highschool anime or manga. Its all up to them. I view japan as one of the most richest cultural places in the world. I want to experience as much culture as I can, the good and the not so good.
I really have no intrest in manga or anime, but I dont mind watching a little bit if my friend is watching, thats about as far as Ill go.
I got into japanese due to nishikigoi (koi fish), and am pretty advanced in it now. I love learning the language and thinking to myself "well if that means this, then that probably means this."
learning languages is so fun, isnt it?
I have loads of people coming up to me and asking me if I dress up as characters from anime or if I am a manga freak. I just think, Damn those otakus from poisoning the view of such a rich culture. I do however, when our local mall is hosting an anime convention, get really embarassed because their perspective is so off from the real thing.
I remember this girl asked me if I knew what "koi" meant. Of course, the typical fat otaku girl who watched to much yaoi....

well there is my view on this.
hi
ikemen

Postby marichi » Fri 07.20.2007 6:51 am

I`m a huge manga and anime fan, and surely it would be cool reading manga in japanese -but that`s not the whole reason, that seems like a little reason to learn a language really...But I don`t embarrass anyone though, and I`m truly interested in Japan and it`s culture (It`s just plain naivity to think that a country is perfect T_T) :|
marichi

Postby eruditat » Fri 07.20.2007 9:33 am

Here's my view on this matter. The reason why so many teens all seem like japanese manga/anime freaks is that many teens read/watch them and some actually are. Manga/anime thus becomes something peculiar... A foreign product that is vastly popular amongst teens and adults. Why is that? Maybe because it's a hell of a lot better than what's already there! (whats the other option? all american heroes like Hulk and spiderman? Gets lame after a while...) So, if the main «cultural» import from japan is manga/anime what do the common uninformed people have to base their judgment on? That's right, those rare yet numerous manga/anime freaks who dispense their only knowledge on japanese «cultur»: manga/anime. This means that the majority of people (yes the majority of people are uninformed) will see Japan only through the obscured eyes of manga/anime freaks.

What say you?
Yo soy.
eruditat

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Tue 07.31.2007 5:44 pm

my sister's kind of like this...she thinks japan is all video games and clothes and cute anime and manga...and she talks "japanese" with a weird accent o.O and says strange things like "wa-ta-ji-wa-na-te-te-de-suu." all choppy...and then tells people she can speak japanese. like she KNOWS japan.

ha. i asked her what a geisha is and she said, "Well, you know, they're sorta kinda like a princess." XD poor girl... :D
AkiKaza-chan

Postby Hatori » Tue 07.31.2007 8:08 pm

Japanime, ching, chong, chung, bung. That's all that zooms in a person's mind nowadays when they don't look into Japan.
As for my older brother, he's like that. Doesn't know much about Japan and stereotypes it so badly. It was funny, once, because he took one of my Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionaries and looked up "penis" and wouldn't stop saying it in Japanese for like two months. Ignorant, but sometimes it's fun to make fun of those people who just do stupid things like that. LOL
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Tue 07.31.2007 9:52 pm

XD oh god that's hilarious. but still...thinking a geisha's a PRINCESS...apparently she hasn't seen memoirs of a geisha...SO not a princess
AkiKaza-chan

Postby Hatori » Tue 07.31.2007 11:30 pm

LOL. That's hilarious thinking an artist is a princess. I liked the Memoirs movie. I need to get the book... :|
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Wed 08.01.2007 12:29 am

Thanks to the few who think Japan = happy happy anime fun time, I'm branded as- and have been directly called- a "freaky anime kid" because I take Japanese in school (even when I don't like the stuff). Where I live, the problem isn't that tons of people study Japan only through anime/manga, it's that those who aren't into Japanese think that those who study it put on Sailor Moon costumes on the weekends and wish they were Asian. :|

Awesome.
Last edited by Strawberry_Juice on Wed 08.01.2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawberry_Juice

Postby Thelostcup » Wed 08.01.2007 4:43 pm

The reason I'm learning Japanese is well...

I kind of have to, I plan to major in robotics and electrical engineering when I enter college, and I WILL have to do some studying in Japan, (thanks to their advances in robotics). The thing I hate is people who watch a bunch of anime, and think they know japanese just because they can say "kuso" or "baka". (most of them don't know that the former is a profanity lol) and not as many people take me seriously when I say I'm working on learning Japanese.
Thelostcup

Postby Reira_chan » Wed 08.01.2007 6:41 pm

Out of all the anime fans in my whole school (and there is quite a handful O.O) I'm the only 'normal'...well only person who truly likes and know Japan besides anime and manga (I'm not even as big a fan as I once was. Nowadays I only watch like two anime shows and read one manga series.) If I mention the following: my fav actors/singers, tv dramas, kansai-ben, other cities besides Tokyo, and a few customs and trends; they wouldn't even know what I'm talking about. But outside of school, other people wouldn't believe me that I know so much. :|
Reira_chan

Postby AkiKaza-chan » Wed 08.01.2007 10:02 pm

Thelostcup wrote:
The thing I hate is people who watch a bunch of anime, and think they know japanese just because they can say "kuso" or "baka". (most of them don't know that the former is a profanity lol)

XD My sister is just like this. She goes around cursing people out; I try so hard to tell her but it's all in vain...
AkiKaza-chan

Postby lemonaid » Fri 08.03.2007 11:52 am

Just to revive this thread for some more interesting debate. Recently I've caught some flak from new acquintances who for some reason or another automatically assume that I'm a otaku, japanophile or wapanese for studying Japanese. I point out that people who are interested in American culture or Middle Eastern culture seldom are victims of stigmatisation of this kind. I know because I also study german and farsi.

As a rather informal experiment I introduced myself as a student of farsi and as a student of Japanese to two different crowds of people. The group to whom I introduced myself as a Japanese student started asking me about anime, cosplay and asian girls as if no serious study of Japanese can be done without these things. Why do Japanese students get this reputation? I believe it is because, unfortunately, many who are interested in Japanese/Asian culture, unlike those who are interested in other cultures, exhibit the following behaviors:

1) Idealizing the country, thinking of it as an exotic wonderland where all their fantasies come true. This has been the topic of many debates on this forum.
2) Completely lose their own sense of identity and insist they are "Asians trapped in a white person's body" or that "they have to move to Japan to follow their destiny".
3) Having an intense or even exclusive attraction to Asian women, and thinking them superior to other women even though they can't really explain the difference.
4) Hanging out exclusively with people who share their interest in the culture and who sprinkle their discourse with random words from the language, such as using "kawaii" or "baka".

Basically, they make their interest in Japanese/Asian culture the defining feature of their lives, which normal people who have a healthy interest in another culture simply do not do. They make it an obsession bordeline to the pathological. And it's quite embarassing to be honest. I usually don't care what other people may think of me but I feel that it's getting a bit out of hand. I actually have to defend myself more often than not.

I suspect that most of us on this forum are just people with an healthy interest in the language and culture who still act the same way as we'd do without our interest in Japanese so I'm not sure why I felt compelled to write this here. I'm just venting I guess. Maybe it has to do with the fact that my japanese teacher quit her job because she couldn't handle that the topic of class debates always was about some anime character or the increasing number of students leaving after two weeks because they realize it is impossible to learn Japanese in that amount of time. It just sucks big time.
Served best arctic
lemonaid

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Tue 08.07.2007 2:35 am

lemonaid wrote:
I actually have to defend myself more often than not.

...the increasing number of students leaving after two weeks because they realize it is impossible to learn Japanese in that amount of time. It just sucks big time.

I find these two bits very interesting- I definitely can relate.

About feeling like you've got to defend yourself and your interest in Japanese- do you ever find yourself having an argument with another person who's studying Japanese about why you're not into the cartoons or being Asian and all that stuff? While I'm chided all the time by other students for taking Japanese, the first people to really have a go at me about it were actually the students in my Japanese class who were into that stuff. I find those comments to be the most difficult to deal with. And it's a real shame for the kids that like anime and manga but are perfectly good, pleasant students and nothing like the extreme stereotypes.

The same thing happens at my school with students dropping out of the classes- level 1 had about 80 kids, level 2 about 40, and level 3 (the one I was in, though I was a sophomore) had 20 and was combined with the 15 kids from level 4. I've got friends taking Japanese at other schools, and they've noticed a similar pattern. However, there's also a significant difference between senior and freshman classes in other languages at my school, too (though not as great as the difference for Japanese). But that might be because we've got a requirement for 2 years of foreign language, so after the second year people just quit those classes, and the ones that are left are usually the ones who are really serious about it...
Strawberry_Juice

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 08.07.2007 8:53 am

As a teacher, I have not noticed any correlation between anime/manga fans, and the people who drop Japanese. A lot of people will drop the class no matter what the reason.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion