Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Slang Dictionary?

Slang Dictionary?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Slang Dictionary?

Postby Jei-kyon » Thu 06.28.2007 5:36 am

Hello. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good dictionary that would have really non-standard words like しちゃう instead of する  or でちゅ instead of です, etc. I have been struggling with this kind of slang in my efforts to translate all my Hello-Project songs.

The EDICT doesn't seem to have most of these.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you!
簡単に行かないから生きてゆける。
Because things don't go simply, I can live. -YUI
Jei-kyon

RE: Slang Dictionary?

Postby keatonatron » Thu 06.28.2007 7:31 am

しちゃう isn't slang, it's just a shortening of してしまう.

I've never heard でちゅ before, but I'm pretty sure it'd be easy to figure out by context.

There isn't any dictionary for these types of things, you just have to spend time with the language to pick them up (I wouldn't be surprised if してしまう→しちゃう appeared in quite a few textbooks).
keatonatron

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.28.2007 8:57 am

でちゅ is a really cutesy です that I've never seen outside of manga or associated things, so I doubt there is any dictionary that contains it.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby a_iwai » Thu 06.28.2007 11:22 am

It seems to be "位相語(Sociological Varieties)" rather than slang.

"しちゃう" from "してしまう" is often used to express a nuance of young girl's talking.
On the other hand, "でちゅ" for baby talking. "でちゅ" is also used by a mother to dandle her baby, and female talking to pet.
a_iwai

Postby CajunCoder » Thu 06.28.2007 12:32 pm

I've most certainly seen でちゅ appear once or twice in someone's blogs on mixi. So, while it is very cutesy, non-standard Japanese, I would imagine you might hear it outside of anime every once and a while.

In order to understand slang, you simply have to become more familiar with the language. As your vocabulary grows, and you get a better "natural sense" of the language, you will become more able to understand slang out of context.
CajunCoder

Postby coco » Thu 06.28.2007 5:50 pm

This page ↓ explains some of them.
[wiki] Japanese_colloquial_contractions[/wiki]
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby Jei-kyon » Fri 06.29.2007 1:59 am

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! That helps alot. Thank you all. I have been spending over half of my all my free time working on expanding my knowledge of the language, and I am still not fluent yet. Oh well. I am trying to get up to that point within the next few years though. I hope I can do it! I have been at it for a year so far.

Edit:

I guess while it's being discussed, I might as well verify my understanding of しまう and its various forms.

I understand it to express something closing, done completely or to the end. I have heard it used positively and negatively.

Like if I wanted to say: "Somebody ate up the cake!" 誰かはお菓子を食べてしまった!

Or for being completely in love: 愛しちゃいます。  Etc.

I wonder if I could use it like "open completely": 開けてしちゃう。 But it doesn't look right to have a て form behind しちゃう being that it is really してしまう。
Last edited by Jei-kyon on Fri 06.29.2007 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
簡単に行かないから生きてゆける。
Jei-kyon

Postby richvh » Fri 06.29.2007 6:27 am

しまう also, and more commonly, has the nuance of something done unintentionally.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 06.29.2007 8:40 am

I wonder if I could use it like "open completely": 開けてしちゃう。 But it doesn't look right to have a て form behind しちゃう being that it is really してしまう。

開けちゃう. You did まう -> ちゃう, but it's actually てしまう -> ちゃう.

しまう also, and more commonly, has the nuance of something done unintentionally.

I think "contrary to expectation" might be better because it's sometimes used in cases like あの外人、日本語ぺらぺら喋っちゃったんだよ! In that case it's not unfortunate that the foreigner spoke Japanese well, but unexpected. But when it's your own action it the "contrary to expectation" turns into "unfortunately".

But actually once I started actively looking for it, I found that the "completion" meaning showed up a lot more than I thought it did. I just never noticed it because the first time I learned -te simau I learned it with the meaning of "unfortunately".
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby richvh » Fri 06.29.2007 9:32 am

Did you read what I wrote, or what you thought I wrote? I said "unintentionally", which is how Yokohama over at Tae Kim's forum explained it, not "unfortunately."
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AkiraHatake » Fri 06.29.2007 10:34 am

I wonder if are there some Slang e-book. Because i only have particle dictionary e-book. Slang is very difficult and dangerous if you do not know all its meaning, there will a lot of misunderstanding. :(
AkiraHatake

Postby keatonatron » Fri 06.29.2007 12:15 pm

AkiraHatake wrote:
I wonder if are there some Slang e-book. Because i only have particle dictionary e-book. Slang is very difficult and dangerous if you do not know all its meaning, there will a lot of misunderstanding. :(

There is an incredibly easy solution to your problem: Don't even think about using slang until you know what you're doing.

There's no reason you can't learn to function using only words found in the dictionary.
keatonatron

Postby tanuki » Fri 06.29.2007 12:37 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
I think "contrary to expectation" might be better because it's sometimes used in cases like あの外人、日本語ぺらぺら喋っちゃったんだよ! In that case it's not unfortunate that the foreigner spoke Japanese well, but unexpected. But when it's your own action it the "contrary to expectation" turns into "unfortunately".

Oh, I had no idea! That was very informative.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Jei-kyon » Sat 06.30.2007 1:57 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

開けちゃう. You did まう -> ちゃう, but it's actually てしまう -> ちゃう.

I see. So the て would be incorrect with it. I get how 開けちゃう would work. Thanks.

I am glad to see I wasn't wrong about everything else. :)

The first time I ran into しまう (just for the record) was from a childeren's book. And the line was: そして小さな小さなありさんを食べてしまいました。 "Then he ate up the itty bitty ant." That theme was repeated several times with とじてしまうぞ and other similiar expressions. So I am used to the "closing" or "completeness" nuance the most. "Unintentionally" and "unexpectedly" are new to me.

Thanks again みんなさん!
Last edited by Jei-kyon on Sat 06.30.2007 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
簡単に行かないから生きてゆける。
Jei-kyon

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 06.30.2007 9:16 am

richvh wrote:
Did you read what I wrote, or what you thought I wrote? I said "unintentionally", which is how Yokohama over at Tae Kim's forum explained it, not "unfortunately."

Oops. You're right; sorry.

Although "unintentionally" still doesn't include some of the "contrary to expectation" uses that don't have to do with volition.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion