Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - RE: People in Japan

RE: People in Japan

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: People in Japan

Postby Kim Sara » Fri 06.29.2007 10:26 pm

Hello everyone !

I know that young people in Japan really like to read Manga and they have many style of fashions (from the MOST BEAUTIFUL - school uniforms, office uniforms to the MOST CRAZY - cosplay, and something like the most creative...as different from people as possible :o :o :o )

So, how are the young people balance their lifestyle when they still have to go to school and go to work later ?

Is there any discrimination when they have blonde (or any other colors) hair, many earings...go to school/work ...SO KOOL like that :o B) B) B)
***Kim***
Kim Sara

RE: RE: People in Japan

Postby tanuki » Fri 06.29.2007 10:37 pm

I can't wait to read some of the answers this post is surely going to spawn.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 06.29.2007 11:11 pm

There's not much you can say about it -- the OP is basically asking "Here's this stereotype of Japanese people. How can that be true?" And the answer is, it's not. End of story.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Xaith » Fri 06.29.2007 11:39 pm

I don't think that the questions are that unreasonable. The OP simply wants to know how Japanese school kids balance work and school, and if there is discrimination against strange hair-styles and piercings. I know there are plenty of strange hair-styles and people with lots of piercings in the US, and have also heard of job discrimination against them.

While thinking all Japanese people dye their hair purple and wear rainbow colored clothing would be stereotyping, I don't see a problem with those questions.

And instead of contributing nothing to the thread, maybe others could explain that manga and anime aren't realistic representations of Japan.
Last edited by Xaith on Fri 06.29.2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arrrr?
Xaith

Postby BrianM » Fri 06.29.2007 11:50 pm

Xaith wrote:
I don't think that the questions are that unreasonable. The OP simply wants to know how Japanese school kids balance work and school, and if there is discrimination against strange hair-styles and piercings. I know there are plenty of strange hair-styles and people with lots of piercings in the US, and have also heard of job discrimination against them.

While thinking all Japanese people dye their hair purple and wear rainbow colored clothing would be stereotyping, I don't see a problem with those questions.

And instead of contributing nothing to the thread, maybe others could explain that manga and anime aren't realistic representations of Japan.

Well said, some posters in this forum who've been here a long time are just smartasses.
I think the styles there are different from other countries although every country has their wylde and cooky people. One day in NYC i saw a family walking dressed in full out Punk gear, green mohawk, leather jacket, ect. And the little son was dressed just like the parents lol. I just thnk it adds some color and flavor to society and its completly unfair when they are discriminated against.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby saraLynne » Sat 06.30.2007 2:19 am

The most basic part of the question here I think is how can the people have that kind of social lifestyle and still fit in at work or at school?

I had this very conversation once with one of my language exchange partners in Japan. He felt that there is more emphasis on what someone DOES as opposed to what they look like. That's not to say that there isn't some pressure from peers and so forth, to be "more normal". But his perception was that people with dyed hair or piercings didn't have much (if any) more difficulty finding a job than someone who was completely.. plain.

As for the youth still in school... well, we didn't discuss this. :) I just imagine it's not unlike any other subculture that's out there... goths, skaters, fashion divas, etc. They all have their own life styles and social circles, but in the end, almost all of them drag themselves to school every day. :)
saraLynne

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 06.30.2007 9:18 am

Remember that Japan has a uniform system and have strict rules about things like hairstyles and dyeing. There's not much room for individual fashion there, especially since some kids wear their school uniforms even when they're not in school.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby keatonatron » Sat 06.30.2007 11:47 am

A girl in my class recently came in one morning with bright pink hair. After lunch, she walked in and it was black again (with a little pink showing through). When I asked her what the hell happened, she said "I have work after school, so I sprayed on some temporary black hair color. It washes out easily". So now she has pink hair that turns black around noon 3 times a week.

Her job? Working at McDonalds.

This is a great example of the strict work ethic in Japan. Students can have crazy hair colors, but when they enter the work force it's important to blend in. Many banks and offices require their employees to have flat black hair; McDonalds and other "not-so-strict" work places will allow brown/lightened hair, but more unnatural colors are not allowed.
keatonatron

Postby ruisu81 » Sat 06.30.2007 11:49 am

I can't tell if you're kidding or not, keatonatron. :|
Last edited by ruisu81 on Sat 06.30.2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruisu81

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 06.30.2007 12:39 pm

I don't think he is.

Even for students the rules are sometimes pretty strict; at the schools I taught at, students were not allowed to have dyed hair of any color, and the length and style had to follow certain rules as well.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Ezrach » Sat 06.30.2007 10:59 pm

I know that young people in Japan really like to read Manga and they have many style of fashions (from the MOST BEAUTIFUL - school uniforms, office uniforms to the MOST CRAZY - cosplay, and something like the most creative...as different from people as possible )

I know that young people in America really like to read spiderman comic books and they have many style fashions (from the MOST BEAUTIFUL - polo shirts and dockers, business suits to the MOST CRAZY - gothic, and something like the most creative...as different from people as possible)

To be honest, Japan is one of the weakest countries in terms of "personal expression", which is why there are uniforms for nearly everything. "The nail that sticks up will be hammered back down."

So, how are the young people balance their lifestyle when they still have to go to school and go to work later ?

Young people don't typically work. Sometimes people work part-time when they're in university, but for the most part they have a full-ride from their family. They manage their time the same way that any other American, English, Australian, Canadian, et cetera young people do.

Is there any discrimination when they have blonde (or any other colors) hair, many earings...go to school/work ...SO KOOL like that

This is simple - There is no discrimination because there are usually no cosmetic irregularities. Typical school rules for students - No cosmetics of any kind, including makeup, hair dye, and jewelry.
Last edited by Ezrach on Sun 07.01.2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezrach

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 06.30.2007 11:04 pm

Also in Japan, the schools are allowed to set rules that would be unthinkable in the US -- for instance, many schools forbid their students from having part-time jobs; this rule is nearly universal before high school, but in high school some people start doing them.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Sun 07.01.2007 9:55 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
Also in Japan, the schools are allowed to set rules that would be unthinkable in the US -- for instance, many schools forbid their students from having part-time jobs; this rule is nearly universal before high school, but in high school some people start doing them.

hmm.. How would the school knows if said that I'm working in a place where no teachers would visit?
terence_hideyoshi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 07.01.2007 10:04 am

Gossip travels fast. Also, the businesses in the town will know what the school rules are.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Shirasagi » Sun 07.01.2007 11:45 am

A lot of students do have part-time jobs on the sly, but it's big trouble if they're busted.

One private school student was signed by a talent agency and about half a year from graduation put out a photobook featuring bikini shots. She was expelled.

One interesting phenomenon I've observed is high school girls changing uniform skirts on the train. Lower than mid-thigh on the way to school, and higher than mid-thigh coming back. (You young horny guys imagining half-naked high schools on the train can settle down. They change them like at the beach; new skirt on under the previous one, and then the previous one is removed.)

Another thing you'll see are bad graduation perms/dye jobs. The kids aren't allowed anything except natural black hair all through school, so as soon as they graduate they go out and do something with it. But it's their first perm, so a lot of times it doesn't come out looking exactly nice.

On a similar note, you'll see the reverse happening with college students. College is a big old party, so they do all sorts of things with their hair. But in their 3rd and 4th years they start going on job interviews, so the hair becomes jet black again. Once they have a job, they can dye it if their company allows (most do).
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion