is my nihon go good? :3

Japanese, general discussion on the language
coco
Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

RE: is my nihon go good? :3

Post by coco » Tue 07.03.2007 12:46 pm

Xurma wrote:
Hello.

You might already have realized this but It seems obvious that I made this thread with fake account. I was so bored and made this thread and wanted to see how people reacted, but it seems that I've been revealed.
Xurma, have you ever thought about an influence of what you've done?
At least, Rich-san and Teh_Freak-san's efforts proved futile. If Rich-san hadn't checked your IP, more members' kindnesses might have be spoiled.
We have to doubt if he/she is you or not when new member comes.

New members might get less replies because of this kind of behavior.

Richさん、確認してくださってありがとうございます。
Last edited by coco on Tue 07.03.2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

two_heads_talking
Native language: English

Post by two_heads_talking » Tue 07.03.2007 3:01 pm

Pork Chop wrote:
Just so we're clear, there is the legal concept of wardriving to map out the wireless access points in a particular physical location. Yeah, I'm not big on stealing other peoples' wireless either. However, it is pretty nice to be able to bring my laptop to Starbucks and surf websites while drinking overpriced coffee.

I believe the normal way of tracking people using a wireless access point without permission is by mac address, so if one bothers to do some mac address spoofing then this detection becomes less effective.
starbucks and other "cyber cafes" offer their wireless connections as part of their business.. I am not speaking of that.. Hotels even offer wireless to their clients.. but if you live across the street from said establishments and are using their services.. that is the exact type of thing I was referring to. I am not sure why you were confused.

and yes, wardriving is typically done on a legal scale.. but again, I wasn't referring to that type of thing.. I thought it was pretty obvious where I was going with that topic.. ;)

Keo

Post by Keo » Tue 07.03.2007 7:10 pm

lets clear this up.. there is "connecting to someone elses network without their permission".. and then there is wardriving (driving) as in using your vehicle to park behind or whatever or someones house (not on top of thier house!) and cracking their wireless encryption, to obtain access to their network.
Is there any way to track who's using the wireless connection? Because my wireless network is currently down, and I've been... err... borrowing from the Holiday Inn across my street (Although it's a seriously sucky connection >.<)

Is there anyway they could track that and sue me? Just wondering xD
well... if anyone wanted to press charges, im sure they could (im not a lawyer, so idk how that would work) but technically without their permission, you are stealing.. i think.

yeah, you can check a few ways.. the main way is going under your routers config. if they have a log setup, they can check the IP addresses (even yours since your connected) and see which sites youve been at.)

doing a simple "netstat" will show anyone connected to your computer.

The Holiday Inn may or may not have a network administrator there (some do and some dont) so you make be alright for now till your connection is back up.. as long as you dont do anything too large, like use a ton of bandwidth downloading or something.

If the wifi service is offered to all guests of the holiday inn for free, then i wouldnt really worry about it.. considering all the people who would be connecting.

katafei
Native language: Dutch; Female

Post by katafei » Wed 07.04.2007 12:47 pm

Well, I've finally managed to get my mum hooked up to the wireless, including (the most simple) password and all, and downloaded the wished-for sites.
It took the best part of the day, including a lengthy telephone call to the helpdesk and a visit to the local pc guy.
It pleases me more than I can say to say it took them a long time solving my problems as well :D :D :D

Now, only my own pc is waiting....
But I've just had a glass of wine or two with my home-made macaroni and watched a Christmas episode of Herriot (all creatures great and small, way too British for most forum readers) so now I've gone totally soppy.
it will have to wait yet another day...

But I'm really proud of myself!
We are all but images of our time

richvh

Post by richvh » Wed 07.04.2007 12:54 pm

My father (a farmer for most of his life) loved Herriot's books.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語

Chikubi

Post by Chikubi » Thu 07.05.2007 1:27 pm

lol :D
I Like KFC, the original one!
Love SPITZ!!!

Mike Cash

Post by Mike Cash » Thu 07.05.2007 5:43 pm

Chikubi wrote:
lol :D
At what?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.

prep_girl_Nessa

Post by prep_girl_Nessa » Fri 07.06.2007 3:37 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
wardriving or "borrowing" someone else's connection is a federal offence in the United States. pretty simple, it's against the law.. of course there are those less scrupulous among us that could care less. but when you pay anywhere from 30 dollars to 120 dollars a month for some of those services and someone piggybacks your line, not only do they slow down the connections, they also are robbing you. Or in a more basic set up, they are letting you pay for them..

You know if your neighbor is ok with it, just split the cost, or offer money towards their connection.. That is if you have the brass to admit that if you are piggybacking, you are nothing more than a two bit punk that is stealing someone elses stuff. I personally wish there were more ways to rectify this, but as long as their are douchebag thieves doing it there will always be those few that think douchebaggery is cool.

and yes prep_girl, if the hotel is at all worried about it, they could track you down easily and have you arrested..
Wow, you act like I'm killing small children or something. Holiday Inn is a huge corporation, I'm sure they didn't mind that much.

I already fixed my connection, anyways, it only took like 3 or 4 weeks.

I doubt they could track it now, after I'm done with it... atleast I guess so.
- Harumi Nessa - 熱砂 春美(Just kidding ^_^'')
'Do you know what it feels like, loving someone who's in a rush to throw you away?
Do you know what it feels like, to be the last one to know the lock on the door has changed?
' - Enrique Iglesias <3

Infidel
Native language: 英語

Post by Infidel » Fri 07.06.2007 6:25 am

I don't even feel slightly guilty. Routers default to encrypted, the only reason someone would have an open connection is because they deliberately set it so, which means they don't mind. It's the internet equivalent of Open House with a sign posted in-front that says, "Come on in!"

Nothing is being stolen because nothing is being lost. Bandwidth is usually "unlimited" download and you have to download a LOT before companies start charging more or the network lags. If all you do is surf websites, that aren't graphically intense, and check email then you're not even increasing that enough to negatively affect the other person and certainly not the group sharing that connection.

Downloading movies or torrents are a different matter entirely because it does create a noticeable decrease in network performance. Other than that, it's no different than standing outside and inhaling air that passed over your neighbor's yard.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。

clay
Site Admin

Post by clay » Fri 07.06.2007 7:52 am

I don't even feel slightly guilty. Routers default to encrypted, the only reason someone would have an open connection is because they deliberately set it so, which means they don't mind. It's the internet equivalent of Open House with a sign posted in-front that says, "Come on in!"
My Router was password-less by default and so was my friend's. I had to log in through the browser admin and find the place to put a password in.

But I do agree leaving it as such is an open invitation for someone to use/steal your connection.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone

two_heads_talking

Post by two_heads_talking » Fri 07.06.2007 9:04 am

routers are not encrypted by default infidel. that is false. regardless it's people that think it's ok to borrow as long as they don't get caught that make me wonder who is teaching morals anymore.. should you also be able to borrow groceries fromthe grocery store? it's the same thing. it's stealing.. if you leave your front door open, may I come in and borrow your stuff?
that statement is also the same one as "well she had that mini skirt on and it said come on in, and so I did, so what I did wasn't wrong, she was asking for it." in other words because she didn't mind wearing provocative clothing, she didn't mind people accosting her, and that kinda thinking is ludicrous at best and moronic at it's core.

Infidel
Native language: 英語

Post by Infidel » Fri 07.06.2007 9:37 am

routers are not encrypted by default infidel. that is false. regardless it's people that think it's ok to borrow as long as they don't get caught that make me wonder who is teaching morals anymore..
Who said that? I'm saying it's ok if I get caught. Someone sues me and I'll fight it and challenge the law all the way to the Supreme Court. It's like someone claiming I shouldn't breath the air because it passed over their property first. Screw that. It's unlimited air. Don't pretend you own it.
should you also be able to borrow groceries fromthe grocery store? it's the same thing. it's stealing.. if you leave your front door open, may I come in and borrow your stuff?
Again, nothing is being taken. Your analogy doesn't work. It is like someone Leaving the door open with a "Welcome" sign, so I go in, sit in the chairs, walk around, use the bathroom, and then leave, everything is where I found it. Obviously, If someone leaves the door open and puts a sign up saying "Open" then they can't legitimately complain when people come in.
routers are not encrypted by default infidel.
Bleh, I got a linksys router the other day, It had a little button on the side that automatically sets up the network: encrypted.

Even ones that are not, It's not acceptable to claim it wasn't as an excuse. Doors don't come with locks or even doorknobs but people have the sense to buy them or otherwise latch a door so it is not stuck in open mode.
that statement is also the same one as "well she had that mini skirt on and it said come on in, and so I did, so what I did wasn't wrong, she was asking for it."
Bad allusion again. She's not wearing a sign and she's not naked.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 07.06.2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。

Mike Cash

Post by Mike Cash » Fri 07.06.2007 9:47 am

two_heads_talking wrote:

that statement is also the same one as "well she had that mini skirt on and it said come on in, and so I did, so what I did wasn't wrong, she was asking for it." in other words because she didn't mind wearing provocative clothing, she didn't mind people accosting her, and that kinda thinking is ludicrous at best and moronic at it's core.
I propose a new name for unsecured wireless:

CFM Router
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.

two_heads_talking

Post by two_heads_talking » Fri 07.06.2007 10:38 am

Infidel wrote:
routers are not encrypted by default infidel. that is false. regardless it's people that think it's ok to borrow as long as they don't get caught that make me wonder who is teaching morals anymore..
Who said that? I'm saying it's ok if I get caught. Someone sues me and I'll fight it and challenge the law all the way to the Supreme Court. It's like someone claiming I shouldn't breath the air because it passed over their property first. Screw that. It's unlimited air. Don't pretend you own it.
if i pay for my wireless services.. if you hijack them, borrow them, or otherwise use them without paying, you are taking something i own.. don't pretend it belongs to you .. I suppose in this day and age, i should just accept that their are lazy people who would rather not pay for stuff and hijack it so they get the same.. you probably pirate cable too.. it wouldn't surprise me at all..

Tspoonami

Post by Tspoonami » Fri 07.06.2007 11:01 am

We oughta up and kill these danged tourists stealing my Inter-webs!

(pronounce tourists like terrorists, and it might make sense)
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.