Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Clashing two languages.

Clashing two languages.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Clashing two languages.

Postby Hatori » Sun 07.08.2007 3:45 pm

Hello. I know what I'm asking is based upon personal opinion and who you're refering to, but I just want to hear what you have to say.
For school now I'm going to start learning German for the next few years because I think Germans are just that cool. But, I've decided to make another attempt of teaching myself Japanese during the rest of the summer and try to squeeze it in during school.
Do you think this is a bad idea to clash each language and try to learn both.
In my opinion I think it'll be harder to learn Japanese because I don't have a teacher or somebody to help me out and whatnot. I don't want to drop learning Japanese because this has been something I've really wanted to learn and go to Japan ever since I was in 5th grade!! I can't get rid of my goal I've been wanting to work at and reach by college. Also, what I try and learn is hard to use in everyday life because I don't really have much Japanese influence to be around and put my skills to use.

So,... I just want to hear what you have to say about my situation. I know I've been putting poor efforts into learning the language, but I've been reading and asking about cultural information to sort of make up for my lack of knowing how to speak Japanese.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

RE: Clashing two languages.

Postby richvh » Sun 07.08.2007 4:15 pm

This has come up before... you might want to search the forums for prior opinions.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby sei » Sun 07.08.2007 5:19 pm

I was going to ask the exact same thing... I kind of need to learn Russian but I don't want to stop studying Japanese.

I have studied two languages at a time though. But it was in school, with a teacher.

Anyway, I'll search for the threads richvh mentioned.
Last edited by sei on Tue 07.17.2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby nomihoudai » Sun 07.08.2007 6:33 pm

I wonder if you have German influence around, because you mentioned there's not much Japanese influence around =) ...I don't think there is any problem learning 2 languages at the same moment, as long as you have enough time to work on every language every day. Besides you said that you want to learn Japanese from 5th grade on, so I think you are no more a beginner regarding Japanese and German shoudn't be that hard,it's very familiar with the English language. I also have to say that learning multiple languages at the same time is no problem, I'm learning 6 at the same time, because you can never say that you mastered one, there's always something you didn't know before. I hope you understood everything I wanted to say and that my post helped you. ;)
ザウアークラウトはおいしいです。
wann da daat hai liese kent si da lëtzeboyer oder dir hudd gleck gehaat^^
-------> http://www.japanese-diary.de.vu <---------
nomihoudai

Postby zomegashot » Sun 07.08.2007 10:30 pm

for me, clashing languages kind of suck cuz u can mix them together...like in spanish class, i know this kid who is also learning japanese. the teacher asked him how to say apple in spanish (manzana btw i think) and he said "りんご” -.-
한국말を知っても일본말を助けての것ではない…

and while i'm at it, please correct above if wrong
zomegashot

Postby Hatori » Mon 07.09.2007 1:46 am

richvh wrote:
This has come up before... you might want to search the forums for prior opinions.

Sorry. :P I've just never noticed threads like this before, so my apologies. :)

nomihoudai wrote:
I wonder if you have German influence around, because you mentioned there's not much Japanese influence around =) ...I don't think there is any problem learning 2 languages at the same moment, as long as you have enough time to work on every language every day. Besides you said that you want to learn Japanese from 5th grade on, so I think you are no more a beginner regarding Japanese and German shoudn't be that hard,it's very familiar with the English language. I also have to say that learning multiple languages at the same time is no problem, I'm learning 6 at the same time, because you can never say that you mastered one, there's always something you didn't know before. I hope you understood everything I wanted to say and that my post helped you. ;)

Thank you so much. This is making me feel a lot better. I mean, I'm TERRIBLE at trying to teach myself another language and now that I'm going to have a German teacher and reading German text books, it'll be a lot easier.
But lately I've been feeling so guilty because I've been doing nothing. I mean, I've been learning and asking A LOT about culture, but I haven't been able to concentrate on learning the language. Now that I've come upon German and wanting to learn Japanese my head is racing and school won't start for a while longer.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Ezrach » Mon 07.09.2007 2:08 am

It's best to learn languages on a ladder system (English -> German, German -> Japanese), but not impossible to learn them simultaneously in a single base-language.
Ezrach

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 07.09.2007 7:42 am

I'm currently self-teaching myself German. I think it's something of a impossibility to get speaking ability, at least, since I have no real opportunity to use it in conversation. Still, I play the game for the game's own sake.

I feel, at the age of 31, glad that I learned Japanese at a younger age (started at 18) and am trying to learn German now, rather than the other way around. The reason being that the brain (or at least my brain) has two language centers; the native language one, and the second language one. I whenever I switch out of English mode to speak German, I get all this Japanese static messing up the signal.

I went to Switzerland and tried to buy a box of chocolate. I thought to myself, "How do I saw "I want to buy this." in German? The immediate answer was これを買いたいです。

No! That's Japanese! I forced myself to think in English and try to work out the word order. Then my brain produced, "Ich möchte これを kaufたいです。 Yipes. Third try finally brought to mind the German: "Ich möchte das kaufen." I assumed I said this with a strong American accent, but the clerk proceeded to rattle off a string of high speed German, and I broke down sobbing.

But, to get back to what I was saying earlier, I think it was easier for me to wrap my brain around the Japanese mode of expression when I was younger than it would be if I was trying now. German, at least, while certainly a different language has much, much, much more in common idiomatically with English (particularly Old English, another hobby) than Japanese does.

If you're learning German in a class environment, I imagine it will soon far outstrip your Japanese, and eventually you may find it interfering with your Japanese study. But, keep at it. If nothing else it'll give you a foundational head start when you get the chance to study it in breadth and depth.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Return to Japanese General Discussion