Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji is too...

Kanji is too...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Kanji is too...

Postby Advent_Sun » Wed 07.11.2007 3:50 pm

... Easy. Perhaps I'm speaking too soon, but I never had an easier time learning anything before in my life. I'm actually memorizing each one as I pass by it; even the strokes order. Instantly recalling the symbols meaning when I see. The concept it almost too easy. Forgive me if I sound over confident. I'm don't remember each of them 100% of the time but it feels more like 75%. I don't even started hirigana and katakana yet (I actually did but it was months ago) so I don't exactly know how to pronounce them yet, but atleast I can read if even just a little bit of kanji. The book I own is Kanji Power.
Advent_Sun

RE: Kanji is too...

Postby somethinorwatever » Wed 07.11.2007 4:02 pm

do you know all the readings for the kanji you learn? and you have to know the different meanings when its used as a compound and stuff like that
somethinorwatever

Postby somethinorwatever » Wed 07.11.2007 4:03 pm

do you know all the readings for the kanji you learn? and you have to know the different meanings when its used as a compound and stuff like that
somethinorwatever

Postby stevie » Wed 07.11.2007 4:17 pm

I'm starting to question exactly what one means when they say they 'know' or 'learn' a Kanji. If I recognise a Kanji then I say I 'know' it. If I can write it I guess I can say I have 'learned' it. I can't really say I can 'read' a Kanji, because that's kind of like saying you can read 'moun' in the word 'Mountain' - the readings depend on the word/context they are used in (moreso in Japanese than in Mandarin Chinese I believe).

Neither 'knowing' or 'learning' a Kanji means much unless I can use them or understand them in written communication though (there are a few other threads about this also).
stevie

Postby Hatori » Wed 07.11.2007 4:21 pm

Eventually your brain will melt and run low on capacity as you learn more and more kanji.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby Chris Hart » Wed 07.11.2007 4:32 pm

Hatori wrote:
Eventually your brain will melt and run low on capacity as you learn more and more kanji.
...without context.

Add in context, (IE actually reading them, in Japanese, this requires hiragana first, as several widely used particles are written in hiragana.), and they make sense, and take less space.
Last edited by Chris Hart on Wed 07.11.2007 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 07.11.2007 4:36 pm

Perhaps I'm speaking too soon

I don't think there's any doubt about that.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Advent_Sun » Wed 07.11.2007 4:49 pm

No kidding guys. I'm just so excited. I'm aware of how difficult this can get, but it doesn't phase me at all. I'm enjoying this 100%. So much so that I'm confident that I'll be speaking a good amount of japanese by years end. Trust me folks, I'm not all talk, I've never been more serious. I'm loving this.
Advent_Sun

Postby Dehitay » Wed 07.11.2007 5:20 pm

I can understand. I did pretty much the same thing. I memorized the stroke order, readings, and basic meanings of 2000 kanji. Then I congratulated myself and forgot about 25% of all that. I'm pretty glad I did it this way though. When you know the meaning of all the commonly used kanji, memorizing vocabulary via kanji is probly a lot faster than the normal method of memorizing vocabulary and learning kanji as they come up.

However, I'm surprised by your decision to start learning kanji before kana. There's only 92 of them with both scripts combined and they're used much more frequently.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby Advent_Sun » Wed 07.11.2007 5:35 pm

Well, actually I got too hastey and accidentally baught a kanji book instead of a hiri and kata book. I pretty much put myself in an awkward position. I was going to return the book, however I decided that I'd probably just end up buying it again anyway so I had put aside untill I had baught and finished the right book. However, I just couldn't wait. The next day I shoved my nose into the book and began reading, actually understanding and maintaining about 60% of the information I had read. Seeing how well I was doing, I finally decided that I might be able to learn katakana, hiragana and kanji simultaneously. Ofcource most my practice would be directed to hirigana.
Last edited by Advent_Sun on Wed 07.11.2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advent_Sun

Postby sei » Wed 07.11.2007 5:46 pm

Interesting.

I was just speaking to a Japanese friend of mine the other day, and she was telling me she was home schooled and first started by kanji. I don't think she ever even learned kana. She said something about figuring out the kana from the kanji.

I thought this weird, but who am I to argue about it.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Advent_Sun » Wed 07.11.2007 5:55 pm

I just wish I had a hiri/kana book right about now. Copying info from the internet is a bit much, however it's makes good practice.
Advent_Sun

Postby Hatori » Wed 07.11.2007 6:33 pm

Chris Hart wrote:
Hatori wrote:
...without context.

Add in context, (IE actually reading them, in Japanese, this requires hiragana first, as several widely used particles are written in hiragana.), and they make sense, and take less space.

I do agree with you, but I was dramatizing what I said like I always do. :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Advent_Sun » Wed 07.11.2007 7:35 pm

Speaking of particles, I better go learn them. Uh... do they teach'em here?
Advent_Sun

Postby chikara » Wed 07.11.2007 7:52 pm

Advent_Sun wrote:
Well, actually I got too hastey and accidentally baught a kanji book instead of a hiri and kata book.......... Ofcource most my practice would be directed to hirigana.

I'm not sure what a hiri book is used for but a kata book will come in handy if you do karate :D

Hiragana and katakana are collectively known as kana.

Is "baught" the USA-ian spelling of "bought"?

Are you finding kanji as easy to master as you found English? ;)
Last edited by chikara on Wed 07.11.2007 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion