Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji is too...

Kanji is too...

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Kanji is too...

Postby sei » Sun 07.15.2007 8:14 am

The problem is that he can write with at least some punctuation if he wants. He just doesn't care and expect us to understand him. Maybe native English people can get some meaning out of his posts. But honestly, I just can't figure out most of it. And I read it about 5 times to be able to understand some of it.
Last edited by sei on Wed 07.18.2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 07.15.2007 8:30 am

Also, when someone claims to speak a language with fluent accent, you sure also expect them to at least make their posts readable for the common crowd.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby tanuki » Sun 07.15.2007 11:00 pm

Advent_Sun wrote:
Stop raling at the poor kid.

Kid? He's friggin' nineteen! :o (Look at his profile.)

He can't help it if he can't properly write and speak in english.

Of course he can! He doesn't punctuate properly because he doesn't want to, not because he can't.

---------------

Not being a native English speaker doesn't give you the right to maim the language intentionally. Period.

---------
joooda wrote:
i have to say to me at the least written language is not language

:/

------------------

EDIT: By the way, you can learn a lot from videogames, especially role-playing games. I remember my young days when I would play with an English-Spanish dictionary at hand trying to get what the characters were telling me. I acquired an immense amount of vocabulary that way.
Last edited by tanuki on Sun 07.15.2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Infidel » Sun 07.15.2007 11:29 pm

I've never seen a video game with poor punctuation, spelling, or grammar so blaming one's own poor punctuation, spelling and grammar on video games is a weak excuse.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Mon 07.16.2007 2:30 am

joooda wrote:
i hate punctuation i never used it an never will only mabe the "...." or "?"
the rest is quite useless and i have to say to me at the least written language is not language and i
suck at the language cose i don't punctuate ? lamest thing i've heard

it's not like when i meet a freind "hey jhohn how are you introgation point"
" oh hey joooda i'm fine full stop"

i did add that little part just becose a lot of guys told me about my typing znd puctution although i didn't mention it and didn't want to talk about which you made me do. thats a point i hope that now you understand my message very well
then.oh that's another point now my message is soo easy to understand an i beleve that without thos point you couldn't get any thing form my message

Hey! Are you talking craps?! Dun u ever heard of pauses in conversation? These pauses are just like punctuation pal!
terence_hideyoshi

Postby joooda » Mon 07.16.2007 4:30 am

Okey, i will try.
I just never had interest in punctuation ,i don't dont even put the point on the "i".

But if you say it's sign of respect then okey i wil try to punctuate out of respect allthough you guys didn't respect my opinion.
joooda

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.16.2007 8:59 am

It's not just out of respect, but out of desire for people to read your posts. It's much harder to read a post without periods or commas.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

RE: hmm...

Postby JustinTimberlake » Thu 07.19.2007 1:04 pm

at first you should not listen those who say "you have to remember all readings perfectly" ....
because for example...........
some don't use readigns at all...(special readings)
japanese just say a anglicized word but write it like Chinese for example many country names...
the best is learning from context...
and if there are more than one on readings is better to just think "there are many"
and nothing more because knowing that 人 is read or like jin or like nin is wasting time...
important to know for example that adding jin to end of a country or region willl give person living there...
I think the best learn , and look up kanji in learned words....
stroke order etc....
i see sometimes people don't want to teach kanji (books) ....
but this is not good way....
as you see they are not so hard....
and I think learning can be very funny...
今日は 皆さんよ 波蘭人だよ 日本語を勉強しますよ
JustinTimberlake

Postby ikemen » Fri 07.20.2007 4:08 am

The more you write and memorize kanji, the easier it will become to memorize the strokes, because they more complicated kanji just use bits and pieces of the more easier ones. and besides, In my interpretation, I compare complex kanji to what we may see as english words deriving from latin. You can break apart the word, in this case kanji, to get a vague understanding of what it means.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
hi
ikemen

Postby Advent_Sun » Fri 07.20.2007 11:20 am

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean ikemen. I see complicated kanji the same way. Like how the kani symbol for a "large amount" has the symbol of "many/much" and person in it. Wooden sword (shinai) has the symbol for "tree" and "sword" it. And the easiest one, forest has 3 "tree" symbols in it.
Advent_Sun

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 07.20.2007 12:52 pm

Don't confuse words with kanji. 竹刀 is two kanji (the former is "bamboo", not "tree"), and 森 (forest) is one.

Like how the kani symbol for a "large amount" has the symbol of "many/much" and person in it.

Which symbol?

You can break apart the word, in this case kanji, to get a vague understanding of what it means.

This doesn't work that often in practice -- it makes it easier to remember them, but actually figuring out an unknown kanji can't really be done like that. Somewhere between 85 and 97% of kanji are built on the principle where at least one of the elements is indicating a sound of the character, without respect to the meaning of that element. i.e. in 昭, the element 召 just represents the sound しょう, and the meaning of 召 is of little, if any, significance. (Figuring out the on-yomi of kanji you don't know is very possible due to this, but the meaning is almost impossible.)
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Fri 07.20.2007 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby xhilononi234 » Fri 07.20.2007 1:13 pm

chikara wrote:
Advent_Sun wrote:
Well, actually I got too hastey and accidentally baught a kanji book instead of a hiri and kata book.......... Ofcource most my practice would be directed to hirigana.

I'm not sure what a hiri book is used for but a kata book will come in handy if you do karate :D

Hiragana and katakana are collectively known as kana.

Is "baught" the USA-ian spelling of "bought"?

Are you finding kanji as easy to master as you found English? ;)

What is hiri? And, "baught" is just a typo, in the US "bought" is still spelt B-O-U-G-H-T :P lol
xhilononi234

Postby AJBryant » Fri 07.20.2007 4:12 pm

joooda wrote:
But if you say it's sign of respect then okey i wil try to punctuate out of respect allthough you guys didn't respect my opinion.

Here's a hint for you.

Not all opinions are WORTH respecting.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby ikemen » Sat 07.21.2007 5:37 pm

If you really want to make sense to us, you have to go back and correct what you say, and add in punctuation. Its not a super easy thing, but with more practice, you will get better at it.

I understand you are learing english, but we are only bringing punctuation up because that "IS" a part of english. so study study study.

べんきょう
hi
ikemen

Postby spin13 » Sun 07.22.2007 8:37 am

Advent_Sun wrote:
Wooden sword (shinai) has the symbol for "tree" and "sword" it.

As Chris mentioned, shinai is written as 竹刀, the former meaning bamboo. If you want wood sword, that would be either 木刀 (ぼくとう), bokuto, or 木剣 (ぼっけん), bokken. All of them translate most regularly as simply shinai, bokuto, and bokken, rather than bamboo or wooden sword. This is true of many martial arts words (think about the words katana and judo) and other cultural words.

Advent_Sun wrote:
And the easiest one, forest has 3 "tree" symbols in it.

I see your mention of 森 and raise you 林.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion