Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Questions about learning to write?

Questions about learning to write?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Questions about learning to write?

Postby Amie » Fri 07.13.2007 12:35 pm

Do you think it's a good idea to learn how to write in Japanese from the start?
For instance, I can recognize all the kana, so should my next goal be to learn how to write them?

I was looking at placement tests for some colleges online to place out of beginner courses, and they want you to write the answers out in Japanese. So that made me think that I should be practicing writing since I would be looking to place out of elementary classes when I go to college.

My Japanese teacher doesn't really want to teach me how to write though because she's not that good at it herself. (She's not Japanese, but her husband is.)

So what do you think I should put my effort into? Learning to write what I can already recognize, or continuing learning to read and learn to write at later time when my listening/reading skills are higher?

Thanks for any input or suggestions.
If I were the rain, could I connect to someone's heart as the rain can unite the eternally separated earth and sky?
Amie

RE: Questions about learning to write?

Postby richvh » Fri 07.13.2007 12:48 pm

Writing will re-enforce your reading ability.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby katafei » Fri 07.13.2007 3:23 pm

I agree with Rich. Once you know how a kanji (or kana) is written, it will be easier to remember it. And in the end there is no Japanese without kanji.
Last edited by katafei on Fri 07.13.2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Amie » Fri 07.13.2007 3:59 pm

I also agree that learning to write the kana will help with reading, but what I am asking is should I learn to write out the kana and kanji characters as I learn them. Or should I wait until my reading and speaking skills increase and sort of go back and learn writing? Sorry if my question is unclear.
If I were the rain, could I connect to someone's heart as the rain can unite the eternally separated earth and sky?
Amie

Postby katafei » Fri 07.13.2007 5:16 pm

Well, looking at myself, writing definitely tags behind.
But I would certainly try to be able to write hiragana and katakana straight away. Simply practise by writing out the charts regularly.
I think it gives you more 'feel' of the language.
uhm, can't really put that into words.
But you need to play with what you learn. In my experience that is the best way to learn a language.
And writing it is one way of playing with it.

Another is finding sites that will help you learn kanji.
This thread has a lot of links you might find interesting.
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby Chikubi » Fri 07.13.2007 9:22 pm

katafei wrote:
But you need to play with what you learn. In my experience that is the best way to learn a language.

This thread has a lot of links you might find interesting.

I agree.
I Like KFC, the original one!
Love SPITZ!!!
Chikubi

Postby HeyItsMatt » Fri 07.13.2007 9:26 pm

Amie wrote:
I also agree that learning to write the kana will help with reading, but what I am asking is should I learn to write out the kana and kanji characters as I learn them. Or should I wait until my reading and speaking skills increase and sort of go back and learn writing? Sorry if my question is unclear.

I personally try to do everything at the same time. The way that I learn kanji (and practice kana simultaneously) is I repeatedly write down the kanji that I am learning, add the hiragana stem to it, conjugate it a few ways to hopefully get some of those in my mind, and try to use it in some sentences. The kanji charts on this site are useful for the purpose of finding a few useful compound words with the kanji you are studying, along with a few example sentences. I also like to try to learn kanji I see being used in the chat a lot, or somewhere else - or if I am using a word a lot but don't know the kanji yet, I might as well learn it, since I'll be practicing it, right?
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Amie » Fri 07.13.2007 10:23 pm

katafei wrote:
I think it gives you more 'feel' of the language.
uhm, can't really put that into words.

I think I know what you mean. It kind of puts the power in your own hands, so to speak. ;)
I personally try to do everything at the same time. The way that I learn kanji (and practice kana simultaneously) is I repeatedly write down the kanji that I am learning, add the hiragana stem to it, conjugate it a few ways to hopefully get some of those in my mind, and try to use it in some sentences.

I think that's a good idea.

I think I will learn how to write the kana at least for now then. I mean, it's fun to be able to write them out! And I can use all day at school to practice. heh heh
Plus, I can see now how it would greatly help reading. If you are so aware of the characters that you can write them from memory, I think reading must come much more quickly.

Thanks so much for the comments guys! :D
Amie

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 07.13.2007 11:02 pm

katafei wrote:
I agree with Rich. Once you know how a kanji (or kana) is written, it will be easier to remember it. And in the end there is no Japanese without kanji.

I wonder what children do before they turn 6?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Teh_Freak » Sat 07.14.2007 2:15 am

Simple, they talk in complete gibberish until kanji magically manifest themselves in their mind.
Last edited by Teh_Freak on Sat 07.14.2007 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
リモコンがどこに置きましたか?
Teh_Freak

Return to Japanese General Discussion