Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Bizarre katakana word of the day

Bizarre katakana word of the day

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Bizarre katakana word of the day

Postby jenl » Mon 07.16.2007 7:36 am

This one really stumped me for a moment (and then I gave up and google imaged it):

カッペリーニ

Context = 毎日特選レシピ : 冷製パスタのおいしい作り方は

Turned out to be: Capellini, a type of pasta. Of course, I wouldn't know what capellini was off the top of my head if I saw it in English, so I'm not surprised I couldn't get it in Japanese!

http://www.mainichi-msn.co.jp/kurashi/shoku/mainichi/ - the recipes look good, though.
jenl

RE: Bizarre katakana word of the day

Postby Dehitay » Mon 07.16.2007 9:06 am

Ah, katakana, the script that gives hope and then crushes it. Because it's possible to figure out what some words in katakana mean without ever having heard them before, whenever you see a new katakana word, there's always the hope that you can figure it out what it means on your own. Then when it turns out that you can't, the crushing disappointment hits. It really is probly the easiest script for me to deal with, but that doesn't stop me from hating it the most >=D
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Infidel » Mon 07.16.2007 11:47 am

Ah, katakana, the script that gives hope and then crushes it.

QFT.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Pork Chop » Mon 07.16.2007 12:07 pm

Dehitay
Really? the easiest script to deal with? Something about katakana always slows down my reading more than anything else. If it's kanji, either I'll know it or I wont, if i don't then there's a good chance i can guess at it. With katakana I'm back in 2nd grade, reading hard words in front of the class: in- ink- inco- incro- incorph incorporrrraaaated.
Pork Chop

Postby AJBryant » Mon 07.16.2007 12:36 pm

Dehitay wrote:

Preach it, brah.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Kakihara85 » Fri 07.27.2007 10:56 am

ahha yes cappellini, or cappelletti are a type of pasta really popular in my place...Italy:)
Kakihara85

Postby Chris Hart » Fri 07.27.2007 3:44 pm

Dehitay wrote:

Another complete agreement, though slightly different reasoning. I've been reading Mahou Sensei Negima! (MAGISTER NEGI MAGI) (sorry for the romaji, I don't have IME at work), and frequently when I come across katakana, I am strugling through decyphering latin that is printed in the wrong script. It's hard enough decyphering it with the 21 charecter old latin alphabet. I must mentally convert it to the old latin alphabet (I periodically forget which letters were added to create the modern 26 charecter roman alphabet), then try to read it, hoping I converted the sylables correctly.
-.. .   -.- -.-. ---.. ..- ..-. ...-

I am nerdier than 97% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!
Chris Hart

Postby richvh » Fri 07.27.2007 4:27 pm

In 史上最強の弟子ケンイチ, there's a character (ジークフリート) who is a musician as well as a martial artist, and who is always Italianate music-related words in katakana. Sometimes, but not always, they are also in Latin characters in the artwork, and they get furiganaed with a translation into Japanese.

Then there are the katakana words that are in katakana just for emphasis (frequent in manga), or the ones that the main character doesn't understand (frequent in the 藷?窓L novels.) At least the latter eventually get explained...
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Strawberry_Juice » Wed 08.01.2007 12:43 am

We had to do Rosetta Stone work at school a while ago, and one of the sentences was something like "ゴルバチョフは座っています。"

Took me a while to realize it was Gorbachev, and that I had to click on the little picture of the old white guy. They made it tricky though, because the picture they had didn't show his birthmark! :p
Last edited by Strawberry_Juice on Wed 08.01.2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawberry_Juice

Return to Japanese General Discussion