Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Describing yourself

Describing yourself

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Describing yourself

Postby StarvingMusician » Mon 07.16.2007 3:09 pm

I hope no one has done this thread before. But I would like to be able to describe myself or at least know a site where I can find some adjectives. If anyone is up to the challenge, try this. For example. . . I would like to translate--> "I am a friendly guy that enjoys talking to anyone. I really can't help but smile, it's my favorite thing to do. I play the guitar and have dreams of becoming a musician. However japanese interests me because it sounds so beautiful. Lets be friends! Will you teach me?" If anyone could translate this into Romaji, that would be awesome. :o
StarvingMusician

RE: Describing yourself

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 07.16.2007 3:38 pm

If your Japanese is not even good enough to make an attempt, translating this for you is not very worthwhile. All it will do is trick people into thinking your Japanese is at a higher level than it is. If you're trying to get someone to teach you Japanese, that's a very bad way to start out.

EDIT: As Tanuki says, if you want an introduction, try to come up with something that works within your knowledge. Asking for help on a few words or a sentence is fine, but asking someone to translate an entire introduction for you, which you then pass off as your own, is not a good idea. The problem with what you're proposing is that your English introduction, represented in Japanese, has a number of non-basic grammatical patterns and sentence structures in it.

If you're looking for a pen-pal and you don't know much Japanese, you need to find someone who knows English; it's not going to work any other way.
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Mon 07.16.2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby tanuki » Mon 07.16.2007 5:07 pm

If your Japanese is not good, it's not a good idea to write an introduction in English and try to translate it word by word. You are bound to use English patterns which you don't have the slightest idea how to express in Japanese.

Try something simpler within your Japanese boundaries.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby chikara » Mon 07.16.2007 7:25 pm

StarvingMusician wrote:
I hope no one has done this thread before. But I would like to be able to describe myself or at least know a site where I can find some adjectives. If anyone is up to the challenge, try this. For example. . . I would like to translate--> "I am a friendly guy that enjoys talking to anyone. I really can't help but smile, it's my favorite thing to do. I play the guitar and have dreams of becoming a musician. However japanese interests me because it sounds so beautiful. Lets be friends! Will you teach me?" If anyone could translate this into Romaji, that would be awesome. :o

OK here it is in romaji;

"I am a friendly guy that enjoys talking to anyone. I really can't help but smile, it's my favorite thing to do. I play the guitar and have dreams of becoming a musician. However japanese interests me because it sounds so beautiful. Lets be friends! Will you teach me?"

Hope that helps ;)

ローマ字 = Latin alphabet
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Japanese General Discussion