Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I need help learning counters?

I need help learning counters?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: I need help learning counters?

Postby stevie » Thu 07.26.2007 8:48 am

I've found that writing things out (not on IME, but using pen and paper) helps me to remember a bulk of new words and/or concepts much faster and easier than any other method (it is especially effective with kanji, much more than with kana I find, maybe because more time is spent on writing each character).

This is good for me because I really enjoy writing in Kana and Kanji. Lately I've been studying Chinese more than Japanese and have been able to remember new words (and their tones, which I absolutely have the most trouble remembering without regular speaking practice) by writing them out. For me, it's enjoyable and certainly beats staring at a list of words, reading them over and over, and trying to memorise them - which just doesn't work well for me at all.

I imagine actually using them in conversation would be an even better memory aid, though I guess you'd need to be in class, get a study partner or study group together, or have a japanese friend you can speak with, to do that.
stevie

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.26.2007 11:51 am

Mike Cash wrote:
There is a certain amount of drudge work involved in learning Japanese.

Truth indeed.

Every language, basically, calls for a lot of straightforward memorization of random-seeming stuff at various points. Think of all those verb conjugation paradigms and declension paradigms for inflected languages.

You gotta put in the time to become a speaker of another lingo.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.26.2007 12:00 pm

Agreed. I think that is probably the most significant barrier to learning any language -- it takes a lot of time and effort, and you have to sustain your motivation over years and years of study. It's not always fun. It's why 95% of people who have an interesting in studying Japanese will never acquire any functional ability in the language.

(From what I've seen on the Internet at least, the second most significant barrier is a lack of systematic organization. People want to jump immediately into "translating" things, or their learning method involves making up random English sentences and trying to translate them into Japanese. Most of the time this is simply due to the lack of a teacher or class to guide the person through the process of learning.)
Last edited by Yudan Taiteki on Thu 07.26.2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby NocturnalOcean » Thu 07.26.2007 12:14 pm

I think the difficulty of japanese counters are exaggerated. In my own language norwegian we have lots, and in English there are lots.
three pair of shoes, two glasses of wine, five boxes of chocolate, 2 bags of candy, 9 drops of blood, the list is endless. Counters are something you gradually learn as you need them. I don't see anymore difficulty there, than learning other things.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.26.2007 4:15 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
the second most significant barrier is a lack of systematic organization. People want to jump immediately into "translating" things, or their learning method involves making up random English sentences and trying to translate them into Japanese. Most of the time this is simply due to the lack of a teacher or class to guide the person through the process of learning.

Quoted for truth.

Indeed.

It's something people hanging out here REALLY should be taking to heart.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Shirasagi » Fri 07.27.2007 9:02 am

shoCk_x wrote:
Anyway, as for memorizing things..
What helped me learned the days of the week was an acronym. I'm pretty sure that's what you call it.
My acronym was: Go Karate Some Money, K? Don't Negotiate.
Getsuyoubi Kayoubi Suiyoubi etc.

An acronym is a word made up of the letters of a multi-word name or phrase. Radar, for example (Radio detection and ranging), or laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation).

Since the phrase you have doesn't actually make a word, it's not an acronym. It's a mnemomic.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby shoCk_x » Mon 07.30.2007 4:58 pm

Shirasagi wrote:
An acronym is a word made up of the letters of a multi-word name or phrase. Radar, for example (Radio detection and ranging), or laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation).

Since the phrase you have doesn't actually make a word, it's not an acronym. It's a mnemomic.

Aha, mnemonic. That's the word I was looking for. Thanks a ton, ^^ I'll remember that.
shoCk_x

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion