Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - japanese RPGs

japanese RPGs

Japanese, general discussion on the language

japanese RPGs

Postby xeto » Mon 07.23.2007 10:15 pm

Anyone know of any good beginner Japanese RPGs other than Trickster (because of the insane download)? Or is Trickster worth the wait and memory space?
"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."

-Plato
xeto

RE: japanese RPGs

Postby SuzuQ » Tue 07.24.2007 12:41 am

Are you looking for a Japanese online game? (i believe Trickstar is an online game)
I think Monster Hunter is pretty popular as well as Final Fantasy 11 in japanese online game market. but I'm not sure if these games are for beginners...

For stand-alone games, the final fantasy series, the dragon quest series, the tales of series and the legend of zelda series are popular. My favorite one is final fantasy 9 and dragon quest 3.

I'm personally waiting for the japanese version of oblivion ;)
SuzuQ

Postby Kivin » Fri 07.27.2007 5:30 pm

Obviously, the whole Final Fantasy line are available in Japanese. FFXI specifically is an online RPG ("MMORPG") which can be purchased with Japanese dialog. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're quite adept at reading Japanese, as it's sure to use a great deal of slang and coin-words.
平仮名: 完全 \o/
片仮名: ?四序Z /o\
漢字: およそ五
Kivin

Postby Gaddo » Fri 07.27.2007 6:50 pm

Pokemon?
Gaddo

Native language: English

Postby ashitaka » Fri 07.27.2007 8:22 pm

Monster Hunter Frontier is my recommendation, a lot of people willing to help you and it's easy to play.

As a plus it's only 800MB which is insanely small for it's graphic quality and amount of content.
ashitaka

Postby Gaddo » Fri 07.27.2007 8:40 pm

I'm interested in Monster hunter Frontier, but the only problem is that I hardly understand what the website says. So playing the game itself would be harder.
Gaddo

Postby Hatori » Fri 07.27.2007 9:23 pm

Final Fantasy all the way or anything made by Square.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby saraLynne » Fri 07.27.2007 10:27 pm

Gaddo wrote:
I'm interested in Monster hunter Frontier, but the only problem is that I hardly understand what the website says. So playing the game itself would be harder.

Maybe we don't really understand what you're after, then? Playing any game in Japanese is going to be very hard for you if you don't already know quite a bit of the language. Are you looking more for games that will teach you Japanese? That's an entirely different story.

You won't find any children's games easier to understand, either. Remember, by the time children are old enough to play games, they already have a working vocabulary. If you don't have that, then games will be of no use to you at all.

... I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I'm afraid that what you seem to be looking for doesn't (or can't...) exist.
saraLynne

Postby Rovian » Sat 07.28.2007 12:44 pm

http://lrnj.com/

There is this game that is suppose to teach japanese but I haven't tried it. I don't know how good it is.

Edit - made link clickable - RVH
Last edited by Rovian on Sat 07.28.2007 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rovian

Postby richvh » Sat 07.28.2007 1:22 pm

Not bad for learning hiragana and katakana, and at least familiarizes you with the meanings of a number of kanji - not that I think that that is the best way to learn kanji - and still under development, so may improve.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Gaddo » Sat 07.28.2007 3:20 pm

saraLynne wrote:
Gaddo wrote:

Maybe we don't really understand what you're after, then? Playing any game in Japanese is going to be very hard for you if you don't already know quite a bit of the language. Are you looking more for games that will teach you Japanese? That's an entirely different story.

You won't find any children's games easier to understand, either. Remember, by the time children are old enough to play games, they already have a working vocabulary. If you don't have that, then games will be of no use to you at all.

... I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but I'm afraid that what you seem to be looking for doesn't (or can't...) exist.

Nah just saying that i'm not knowledgable yet to play games.
Gaddo

Postby aKuMu » Sat 07.28.2007 3:39 pm

You could play Mother 「2」 (Earthbound) On the SNES. It's all in Hiragana
aKuMu

Native language: German

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.28.2007 3:50 pm

EQ2 can be played off a Japanese server, and everything is in Japanese. Don't bother before you're upper intermediate though.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Delekii » Thu 08.02.2007 10:40 am

FFXI is available in both Japanese and English, and players from both languages share servers indiscriminately. I don't have the Japanese client at the moment due to a reformat, and you cant type in Japanese in the English client without third party applications which is a pain in the arse, but not that hard for those with the desire to do so.

Having access to both clients is great, because you can compare what you see in the Japanese client to what you expect from having seen it in the English client. Of course, the ability to interact with Japanese players is fantastic for your conversation too if you are at a level where you can somewhat interact, and I have a great deal of Japanese friends in the game.

Unfortunately since the game is quite old now (5 years? something like that), starting from ground zero is quite difficult as it is in any established MMORPG. Still might be worth a look. You need to buy the original game and all its expansions from the same locality (all NA, all JP, all EU), but once you have your account, you can log onto the JP client with no trouble - just have to find it somewhere to install :x
Delekii

Postby Rovian » Thu 08.02.2007 11:17 am

There is also Knuckles in China Land, a game for teaching japanese.

http://www.tbns.net/knuckles/
Last edited by Rovian on Thu 08.02.2007 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rovian

Next

Return to Japanese General Discussion