Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Nervous about College Japanese courses

Nervous about College Japanese courses

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Nervous about College Japanese courses

Postby Damorith » Sat 07.28.2007 4:40 am

I recently transfered from a tiny community college to a huge 4-year university. There were barely any classes at the community college and I'm excited to finally be able to learn Japanese in college. The problem is that the only class with any seats left was Japanese 203. It is suppose to be a third semester class that requires both Japanese 101 and 102 or 2 years of Japanese during high school.
While I did take 2 years of it in highschool I am still worried because that was 3 years ago during my sophomore and junior years in HS... Not to mention my teacher basically just handed out As and let us watch anime most the time. I'm nervous that I will be so far behind from the start and that I wont be able to to keep up with the class. Is there anyone who can give me some idea of what is expected by the third semester of college Japanese so I can see if I'm in over my head?

Thanks so much!
Damorith

RE: Nervous about College Japanese courses

Postby stevie » Sat 07.28.2007 5:03 am

Dunno how accessible the lecturers or professors or whatever are at this university, but I'd just call up and talk to them about it. It quite possibly varies from university to university anyway. Unfortunately I haven't taken any Japanese at university yet (still got a year before I do, by then I'll probably know much of what the first year will cover anyway !), so I can't really be of more help than that. But hey, good luck!
stevie

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.28.2007 5:14 am

it does vary from university to university. Try to contact the teacher and get a hold of the books, because there is even more variation in HS courses than there is in college.

Also, people do tend to drop out a lot in the first week, you might get a seat in the other class if you are patient.

Depending on how long it is until your classes start, you can grab a primer like Colloquial Japanese and use it to refresh whatever you knew before.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 07.28.2007 8:49 am

Damorith wrote:
Is there anyone who can give me some idea of what is expected by the third semester of college Japanese so I can see if I'm in over my head?

Thanks so much!

This question is impossible for us to answer; the content of programs vary widely, and individual professors vary in what they expect from the students. Contact the profs, or drop in on the class for one or two days.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.28.2007 9:24 am

Is there any sort of problem left where people turn to competent authorities in their own immediate real-world environs instead of asking random strangers on the internet?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Infidel » Sat 07.28.2007 10:01 am

Oh wait.

That would be a negative.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Sat 07.28.2007 10:39 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Is there any sort of problem left where people turn to competent authorities in their own immediate real-world environs instead of asking random strangers on the internet?

internet connection problems

...but then again, I'm not sure how competent India's army of tech support drones are as much as the screens off which they look everything up.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby HeyItsMatt » Sat 07.28.2007 12:18 pm

Mike Cash wrote:

I'm not really arguing your point, but it is often amazing how often random internet strangers can be more useful than authorities in real life who are supposed to be competent. I remember both my High School and University student advisors were next to useless.

Of course I'm sure the original poster would get at least some kind of idea of what to expect just by emailing the course professor.
-Matt
HeyItsMatt

Postby Belie » Sat 07.28.2007 1:11 pm

Dehitay wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:

internet connection problems

...but then again, I'm not sure how competent India's army of tech support drones are as much as the screens off which they look everything up.

I'm not sure about your ISP, but mine has created a lovely online chatroom dedicated to its users online problems.
I'm not quite sure how they thought it'd be a good idea. :| I can online imagine most conversations going as such:

ISP: Welcome! How may we help you today?
User: I'm having problems with my Internet. It keeps disconnecting me.
ISP: I'm sorry to hear that! To try and fix this problem, please tell us your--
[User has been disconnected from the chatroom]

To the OP: The only way you can see how the course is going to be is by going there. If you don't think you're ready or very far behind everyone else, it might be a good idea to talk to the professor and see if you can squeeze into a lower class once someone else drops out from it, as was already mentioned.
Last edited by Belie on Sat 07.28.2007 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get up, get out of bed, you can sleep when you are dead!
Belie

Postby Damorith » Sat 07.28.2007 4:59 pm

I know the question wasn't very straightforward and difficult to answer so thanks for all the advice. Mostly I was just looking for people with personal experience at college level Japanese classes, and yes I know it varies but I would have liked to see what people say and compare it to my own experience. Also I did email my prof but I havent got anything back
Damorith

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.28.2007 9:25 pm

Damorith wrote:
Also I did email my prof but I havent got anything back

Another societal problem created by the internet. How on earth did we ever get along without it?

Oh....I remember!

Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Belie » Sat 07.28.2007 9:26 pm

Well, I can almost guarantee it'll be harder than just watching anime and being handed an A. But, provided you remember your hiragana, katakana, and probably 200-300-ish jouyou kanji, the reading shouldn't be too difficult and, at that level, I think many professors are focused on giving their students the ability in reading, speaking, and comprehending. If you know what book 101 and 102 used, you should try to see just how far advanced it goes to see if you even learned the material in high school and might be able to drudge it up from the far shelf of your mind. Many of the websites I've seen for universities teaching Japanese have included (if not the book) then at least a small summary of what will be covered. In my opinion, if you can read fine then it shouldn't be impossible to play catch up. If you cannot transfer into 101 or 102 a few days later but still want to keep with Japanese, you might want to ask your professor for some help to let you catch up with the rest of the group.
Get up, get out of bed, you can sleep when you are dead!
Belie

Postby AJBryant » Sat 07.28.2007 10:04 pm

When I was a very young boy, I had a record (!) that told the tale of "The Life of Custer." It told how when Custer was trying to get an appointment to West Point, he did everything he could, and when his congressman came home one day, "he found Custer camped on his doorstep."

I took that literally for years, thinking that Custer actually had a tent on the guy's lawn.

But the concept is still valid. I used to haunt the offices of my old mentor folk at the U, and was, quite nearly, camping in the lounge.

It's good advice, Damorith. People are much more helpful and amenable to, and supportive of, people they actually interact with. E-mail makes it easy to say "no."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Return to Japanese General Discussion