Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Kanji 百 on : haku

Kanji 百 on : haku

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Kanji 百 on : haku

Postby cyrilmtl » Mon 08.13.2007 12:56 pm

Hello,
I read here that the kanji 百 has haku as a hon reading (and momo as kun), I never saw that 'haku' reading anywhere else on the web or in my dictionnary.

Is it an official kanji reading ? (is there such a list ?)
I am lost, trying to learn kanji for the jlpt and seeing that different web site don't have the same information.

Do you have a sample for the 'haku' reading ?

(same for momo but it is said here that is almost not use anymore).

Thanks

Cyril
cyrilmtl

RE: Kanji 百 on : haku

Postby CajunCoder » Mon 08.13.2007 1:17 pm

はく is a very common reading for 白。

告白
白紙
白人

As you can see, being an 音読み, its usually found in compound-words.

I read here that the kanji 百 has haku as a hon reading

I'm afraid I don't know of any "hon readings", but I would recommend reading a 本 for kanji practice! How do you study kanji? I find reading them in context to be the most effective, and enjoyable way of becoming familiar with them.
Last edited by CajunCoder on Mon 08.13.2007 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby JaySee » Mon 08.13.2007 1:41 pm

Almost all kanji have 2 or 3 on-yomi. These are readings imported from China in waves during various stages in history; because the Chinese language evolved and different dialects were predominant during different times, the on-yomi imported for a character was usually different in each stage. Most of the time though, only one of these 2 or 3 readings is used for the vast majority of the on-words (kango) written with that character.

In the case of 百 there are 2 on-yomi: hyaku and haku. I personally wouldn't be able to come up with a word that uses the reading 'haku', it is very very uncommon (if used at all nowadays), so you might as well forget it. Momo is the old Japanese word for 100, but Japanese counting (hito- futa- mi- etc) isn't used anymore for numbers over 10, though you might find remnants in personal names and place names.

For the jlpt you only need to know the readings that are given in the jôyô kanji list. Most kanji have more readings but these are rarely used and you don't really have to concern yourself with them, even though you might occasionally come across a word that does use one of the more unusal on-yomi not on that list. (a lot of terms related to Buddhism use 'odd' on-yomi, for example)

Here you'll find the jôyô kanji list with all the 'approved' readings for each character. As you can see for the charatcer 百 only 'hyaku' is listed. Of course there also is a small group of words that have completely illogical readings unrelated to their standard on or kun-yomi ( 今日-きょう or 明日-あした for example), so you'll have to learn these seperately from this kanji list.
Last edited by JaySee on Mon 08.13.2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby cyrilmtl » Mon 08.13.2007 3:08 pm

Thanks JaySee,
I was using thejapanesepage.com kanli list, why it isn't in sync with the Joyo list ?

CajunCoder, I was saying : I read here that the kanji 百 has haku as a on reading (sorry, no link to the kanji hon !)

C.
cyrilmtl

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 08.13.2007 3:18 pm

nice reading to remember so when you see kanjis like 箔 白 伯 拍 泊 舶 栢 狛 柏 粕 迫 珀  you can take a wild guess on the on reading;)
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby CajunCoder » Mon 08.13.2007 4:49 pm

Haha, sorry. I guess I should put the "increase kanji size" feature to use more.

NocturnalOcean > It seems most of those use 白 rather than 百 as a radical.
Oh well, at least I'm not the only one who appears to have bad eyesight :D
Last edited by CajunCoder on Mon 08.13.2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CajunCoder

Postby NocturnalOcean » Mon 08.13.2007 7:23 pm

well point is that 白 is the basic part that has the reading はく and as you can see, it is a part of 百 too.
Last edited by NocturnalOcean on Mon 08.13.2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby Koryo » Tue 08.14.2007 7:25 pm

From the 漢字源:

常読:ヒャク
字音:ヒャク(呉)・ハク(漢)<入>陌<bǎi>
意読:もも/ももたび/はげむ
《名付け》
  お/と/はげむ/も/もも

In case you're not familiar with the abbreviations and symbols:
常読:常用読み方 or the jouyo readings
字音:aka 音読み or Chinese readings
(呉) is the 呉音 or the Wu reading
(漢) is the 漢音 or the Han reading
意読:aka 訓読み or Japanese reading
《名付け》 other readings used in names
Last edited by Koryo on Tue 08.14.2007 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koryo

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 08.14.2007 10:12 pm

The Kanjigen lists that reading but gives no compounds for the reading. It has 百家 in the 難読 section at the bottom with the reading はっけ, but the Koujien has ひゃっか for that word.

もも, on the other hand, you might encounter in older Japanese (and even then, if it's a modern edition of the old text they might change it to hiragana), but I don't think you would ever see that reading in a modern text.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion