Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Which do you think is easier? Learning English or Japanese?

Which do you think is easier? Learning English or Japanese?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Which do you think is easier? Learning English or Japane

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sun 08.26.2007 3:06 pm

katakana words ARE japanese word.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby JaySee » Mon 08.27.2007 4:25 pm

I dont think theres a clear answer to this question. It depends on when you start learning, the method you use, how much talent you have for learning languages and several other things. With the languages being so different native speakers of either language are gonna need a lot of time learning the other's language.

I would like to add though (I've seen people say this in other threads too) that statements like "(language name) is the hardest language in the world" are completely useless, even though a lot of people love to think their own language is the most difficult. Perhaps the most decisive factor in being able to learn another language quickly is how close your native language is to it. As my native language is Dutch for example, English and German are fairly easy for me to learn. (I spoke English reasonably fluently by the age of 16/17). But while for me Japanese is very difficult, it is much easier for Koreans since Korean and Japanese grammar are similar. Koreans on the other hand will have much more difficulties learning English. Because people's native languages are different, the hardest language for them to learn differs too.
Last edited by JaySee on Mon 08.27.2007 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.27.2007 4:48 pm

lemonaid wrote:

Arabic
Cantonese
Mandarin
Japanese
Korean

I am amused that finnish is not up here. That language is like learning navajo.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Mon 08.27.2007 4:51 pm

I imagine Finnish isn't high on the "need to be taught" list at the State Department.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby chequer » Wed 08.29.2007 4:18 am

JaySee wrote:
I dont think theres a clear answer to this question. It depends on when you start learning, the method you use, how much talent you have for learning languages and several other things. With the languages being so different native speakers of either language are gonna need a lot of time learning the other's language.

I'm with JaySee on this. I think language learning is a purely personal battle. It depends on your experience of language learning, quality of teaching materials, quality of teacher (if you have one), access to native language speakers (live or via recordings) and sheer bloodymindedness to plough your way through and succeed.

I've been lucky enough to study several languages and what has become increasingly clear is that 'frame of mind' is important. With the first couple of languages, the pattern and sounds of your native language can be a barrier. At each new language the ability to step away from the 'rut' of your native language increases until it seems that it is easier to take on new sounds (eg Zulu clicks, Chinese tones), verb placement (eg Welsh at the front, Japanese at the end) etc. Not that these things are easy by any means, only that you don't have to wade through comparisons with your native language first - you just get on with learning them.

Every language is difficult but every language is made up of vocabulary, grammar and sounds. Learn those and you're maybe 5% on the way (ok a bit of an exaggeration). What is then missing is learning how to express the feelings and thoughts in your head in the way that native speakers of the language do. You can only do this by learning real language examples, used in the right context, with the feelings expressed by the native speakers.

would you be so kind as to give me a call?
could you be so kind as to give me a call?
do you think you might be able to give me a call?
could I be so rude as to ask you to call me?
may I ask you to give me a call?
could you possibly give me a call?

The recent post "'should' as a suggestion" is a prime example of how a language learner leans towards bending the new language to match the feeling they express through their own native language. What people need (hence suggesting it's the 95% of language learning) is to know how a native speaker would express themselves in that situation. Leave this out and you stand the chance of always sounding like a textbook.

What do you think?
chequer

Postby PandanoTake » Fri 08.31.2007 10:26 am

I'm kind of in a hurry, so I'll make this post quick. I personally think Japanese is better to use because, in a Japanese context, it's a lot easier to be more specific and express yourself with both more accuracy and precision. In terms of difficulty, I can't really say English is difficult to learn, since I was brought up with it, but the explanations of grammar and such can be quite confusing, and most of the time it's just a simple thing. Japanese is semi-difficult for me, but because I like the challenge, it becomes a bit easier and I enjoy the path of learning it. Sometimes I'll say things in English that are a rough translation of what I might say in Japanese. For example, if I'm listening to someone and want to reassure that I understand I often say, "Makes sense." But I don't know if anyone else does that, that's just my personal little story there.
エド より
PandanoTake

Postby Kagemaru » Fri 08.31.2007 11:14 am

NocturnalOcean wrote:
2. The education system fails.
I go for number 2.

Absolutely.

A while back Mr Cash hit it on the head.

To teach English in Japan all one needs is a neck tie and a pencil...
Kagemaru

Native language: Greek

Postby gollybype » Fri 08.31.2007 1:10 pm

ahhh...whatever.... but there's a country who lots of people speaks japanese..korean...english...arabic..chinese(manda/canto)..malay.. french...german...spanish... and lots more ... most of them were average people... rich people in the phil.. speaks english...french...spanish.... but most of u.p students...(university of the phil.) speaks more than 3 language...especially in tourism...(i know i'm out of d topic..)hehe... but i think it's d focus..determination...will make you bright and learn what you want... let's say your lazy but smart... for me..your not smart at all.. practice makes perfect!! :p B) :D
Last edited by gollybype on Fri 08.31.2007 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I HATE TOO FORMAL PEOPLE... AS IF THEY WERE REALLY THAT SMART!!!....DUH~~~
gollybype

Postby witega » Fri 08.31.2007 2:56 pm

I...am...totally....lost.
witega

Postby Dehitay » Fri 08.31.2007 5:57 pm

gollybype wrote:
ahhh...whatever.... but there's a country who lots of people speaks japanese..korean...english...arabic..chinese(manda/canto)..malay.. french...german...spanish... and lots more ... most of them were average people... rich people in the phil.. speaks english...french...spanish.... but most of u.p students...(university of the phil.) speaks more than 3 language...especially in tourism...(i know i'm out of d topic..)hehe... but i think it's d focus..determination...will make you bright and learn what you want... let's say your lazy but smart... for me..your not smart at all.. practice makes perfect!! :p B) :D

I'm curious. What's your native language? and how many languages do you speak?
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby gollybype » Sat 09.01.2007 11:33 am

oohh i'm spanish......and i speak....yekok languages.....lol :D :Dyyy???? u want me to teach u????lol :D :D :D
Last edited by gollybype on Sat 09.01.2007 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I HATE TOO FORMAL PEOPLE... AS IF THEY WERE REALLY THAT SMART!!!....DUH~~~
gollybype

Postby Tspoonami » Sat 09.01.2007 12:36 pm

"Yekok" seems to be an industrial company, not a number. I wonder if gollybype is a new John, or just the average troll...
Sometimes I think that I'm afraid of thinking, and that scares me.
Tspoonami

Postby Kid Abner » Sun 09.02.2007 3:56 pm

;)I'm new in the forums, and would like to say hi to everyone. Moving on to the topic:
This question can't actually be answered very well, because, like other members said, it presents difficulty on either side. It is a very personal thing, and depends on the individual and his resources, abilities, etc. For example: my native tongue is spanish, and if you've had any experience in studying or speaking spanish, you will find that japanese vowels are identical to spanish vowels (making it somewhat easier for me to speak the language).

But I still need to work with the grammar, japanese script and all of the other tricks involved in the language. So like I mentioned before, it is up to the individual, his resources and the advantages/disadvantages the person has.
Kid Abner

Postby Hatori » Sun 09.02.2007 4:52 pm

I'd think English may be a bit more complicated than Japanese, but the whole answer can vary in so many different ways from what language you speak natively and other things and your opinion.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby tanuki » Sun 09.02.2007 6:02 pm

gollybype wrote:
oohh i'm spanish......and i speak....yekok languages.....lol :D :Dyyy???? u want me to teach u????lol :D :D :D

I don't know if I should feel disbelief or complete embarassment that a fellow Spanish speaker does such a fool of themself.
Last edited by tanuki on Sun 09.02.2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion