Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - japanese degree in the usa (programme)

japanese degree in the usa (programme)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

japanese degree in the usa (programme)

Postby makisuki » Sun 08.26.2007 10:00 am

hi, sorry if the question has already been asked.
I'm french (it may explain the writing mistakes) and I plan to spend one year in the usa to finish my japanese degree. There is no direct equivalence between french and american degrees but what I would like to do is a third university year.

I heard that the american program in japanese is more focus on the oral than in France.
I would like to know what the japanese program in american universities is made of (in the point of view of kanji, grammaire, translation, the JLPT level we can reach, litterature and civilisation, linguistique and oral... about almost everything indeed)
Can you also tell me if there are some universities which have a best reputation than the others.

I hope someone we take the time to answer because these are very important informations for me.

Thank you for reading. :)
makisuki

RE: japanese degree in the usa (programme)

Postby Dehitay » Sun 08.26.2007 10:25 am

I only took 1 Japanese college course to satisfy a multicultural requirement but I can tell you what I went through. In class, we only talked in Japanese for 90% of the time. There was a schedule given at the beginning of the semester that stated what you were expected to study before every class day. Then during class we could work with examples of what you were supposed to have studied. Mostly we broke up into groups and all did the same practice conversations about going to school, what we ate, and things like that.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Sun 08.26.2007 10:26 am

The programs are going to differ from one college to another. I believe the most prestigious Japanese program is at the University of Hawaii.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby makisuki » Sun 08.26.2007 11:23 am

thank you.

I would like to know if at the end of 3 years of studies in university in America we can have a best level then at the end of 3 university years studies in France (in France the level is very bad)
To give you an idea, at end the end of the second year in university in France, we are supposed to know 1000 kanji, we've finished the 2 minna no nihongo and we can reach nothing more than the JLPT3.
For those who have studied japanese in university, is there any american university where we can reach a higher level at the end of the second university year? and, do you know universities where we can have a JLPT2 level at the end of the 3rd year study?
makisuki

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.26.2007 9:29 pm

The JLPT is not always the best gauge -- but it depends. At Ohio State University, the kanji/reading at the end of 3 years might not even be enough for 3-kyuu, but your spoken ability would be rather advanced.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Return to Japanese General Discussion