Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Does Anybody Know of a Kanji Program With This Ability?

Does Anybody Know of a Kanji Program With This Ability?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Does Anybody Know of a Kanji Program With This Ability?

Postby blazingcrash » Sat 09.01.2007 12:10 am

Hi everybody!

I'm looking for a kanji learning program that can quiz you by giving you a word in hiragana (or ON/KUN readings), and requires you to supply the Kanji, in text. You're probably thinking, why would a program do that? All you would have to do is type in the hiragana using the windows language toolbar, and it supplies the kanji automatically.

Well, the reason I'm looking for a program that can do this, is because Windows Vista actually has surprisingly good handwriting recognition built in - using a Pen Tablet (or mouse if you don't have one) you can draw kanji in a box similar to the language bar, and it will automatically translate it to kanji text (I realize winword has had a lookup ability similar to this for a long time, but this is much easier to use).

Anyway, all of the programs I have seen quiz you by showing you the kanji, then asking for the hiragana or ON/KUN readings. But I want a program where I actually practice WRITING. :p

If you know of one, please let me know, and if you have Vista, it's worth checking out this ability!

-BC
blazingcrash

RE: Does Anybody Know of a Kanji Program With This Ability?

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 09.01.2007 12:24 am

You should check out Stackz! [url]http;//www.stackz.com[/url]

While it doesn't have the input testing, it does have a mini writing pad, where you can write the kanji down using your stylus, then press enter, and it'll show you the correct kanji. You then have to decide if you wrote it correctly or not though.

The problem with using the hand-writing recognition software (I have it on my table at my PocketPCs) is that sometimes it will not recognize the kanji even if you write it correctly, or recognize a kanji even when you wrote it wrong (which gives you false-positives for your training).

Anyhow, I would check out stackz. It is very nice.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby richvh » Sat 09.01.2007 7:11 am

Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Txkun » Sun 09.02.2007 8:16 am

I'm now very happy with my copy of Tadashii Kanji Kakitori-kun on Nintendo DS.
I love it :D and can't wait to know as many kanji as a 6th grade kid! -__-"
This program and the Japan/English dictionary are really great.
Txkun

Native language: Italian

Return to Japanese General Discussion