Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka

pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka

Japanese, general discussion on the language

pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka

Postby jboix2000 » Tue 09.04.2007 2:49 pm

I heard that alot of english exchange students take jobs as an english teacher. I would like to know how much does that pay and is it the average pay rate, if not what is the average pay rate for jobs in Japan?
Last edited by jboix2000 on Tue 09.04.2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jboix2000

RE: pay rate in Japan desu ka

Postby Dehitay » Tue 09.04.2007 2:55 pm

I'm not sure if it's actually legal for an exchange student to do teach English for pay. If you're an exchange student, I would assume you would be granted a student visa in which case you aren't actually allowed to work in the country. I guess it's possible for your sponsors to grant you a working visa though, but then I'm not sure if you're considered an exchange student rather than a immigrant worker who also happens to be studying.

However, that aside, you can still teach English illegally. I guess the pay for that would be any price you set that's less than what a professional would charge.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 09.04.2007 3:32 pm

your title should then read.

Pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka?

And as far as price is concerned, it would be (again if you are legally able to) whatever you and your customer agree to. whether it is above or below the professional charge would be between you and them.
two_heads_talking

Postby jboix2000 » Tue 09.04.2007 3:57 pm

Arigatou for the correction, still trying to learn the grammer :D corecting now...
jboix2000

RE: pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka

Postby katafei » Tue 09.04.2007 4:08 pm

Teaching English??
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby AJBryant » Tue 09.04.2007 5:42 pm

LOL!

Physician, heal thyself. :p

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby stevie » Tue 09.04.2007 6:07 pm

I've wondered about the visa/legal working issue a little, though when I asked a lecturer on the Japanese degree programme at Edinburgh University they told me most students are able to afford their third year (which is spent studying in Japan) by taking jobs, usually as English teachers.

But I'm not sure exactly which visa it is they get for that year.
stevie

Postby chikara » Tue 09.04.2007 10:26 pm

jboix2000 wrote:
..... I would like to know how much does that pay and is it the average pay rate, if not what is the average pay rate for jobs in Japan?

The average pay rate for all jobs in Japan is rather meaningless if you want to know what an English teacher should earn.

According to an article in the Japan Times Online, 1 Feb 2007;
... The average regular pay they (corporate employees) received during the period (2006 was) .... 252,810 yen per month ....

two_heads_talking wrote:

Pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka? .....

Yep, if you combine English vocab and grammar in a sentence with Japanese vocab and grammar it will be much more understandable :D
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 09.05.2007 9:13 am

chikara wrote:

two_heads_talking wrote:

Pay rate in Japan wa nan desu ka? .....

Yep, if you combine English vocab and grammar in a sentence with Japanese vocab and grammar it will be much more understandable :D

based on the fact that the OP is still trying to grasp grammar, then vocabulary, in this case "pay rate in Japan" wasn't known. next time, chikara, just for you I will help out the person by typing in all kanji and confusing them even more. I pointed out a simple error they made and corrected it to the point that if they do find the vocab for "pay rate in Japan" they can just plug it in. Your help was ... oh right it wasn't...

and tell me did you understand it? I bet you did. And thus we begin how to learn if you don't have all the skills.. even an old salty crusty dog can learn a new trick now and again. Remember in the end, it isn't about how much knowledge you show off, but rather how much knowledge is shared. If people aren't edified with your explanation, then your explanation is nothing more than empty words floating over peoples heads and those words getting lost in the cosmos.
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Wed 09.05.2007 10:46 am

Dehitay wrote:
If you're an exchange student, I would assume you would be granted a student visa in which case you aren't actually allowed to work in the country.

Under a student visa you are allowed to work close to (I think) 20 hours per week. It has to be approved by the institution that sponsored your visa and the immigration department, but it's extremely common for foreign students to work part time while going to school. For many of them, it wouldn't be financially possible not to.
keatonatron

Postby WacKostRacKo » Wed 09.05.2007 7:19 pm

Keatonatron is right, 20 hours. (on a British student visa at any rate, are they the same all over the world?)
tanuki wrote:
How about:

外人: これはすしです。すしが好きです。
日本人: おお!日本語が上手ですね。
外人: Erm....what?

story of my life...
WacKostRacKo

Postby chikara » Wed 09.05.2007 7:55 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
based on the fact that the OP is still trying to grasp grammar, then vocabulary, in this case "pay rate in Japan" wasn't known. next time, chikara, just for you I will help out the person by typing in all kanji and confusing them even more. I pointed out a simple error they made and corrected it to the point that if they do find the vocab for "pay rate in Japan" they can just plug it in. Your help was ... oh right it wasn't...

and tell me did you understand it? I bet you did. And thus we begin how to learn if you don't have all the skills.. even an old salty crusty dog can learn a new trick now and again. Remember in the end, it isn't about how much knowledge you show off, but rather how much knowledge is shared. If people aren't edified with your explanation, then your explanation is nothing more than empty words floating over peoples heads and those words getting lost in the cosmos.

Wooooowwwwwwwwww :o

Which part of :D didn't you understand? ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Japanese General Discussion