Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - quick question about vertical writing

quick question about vertical writing

Japanese, general discussion on the language

quick question about vertical writing

Postby Dehitay » Thu 09.06.2007 10:00 am

I've been wondering when you writing something like きゃ vertically, would you include the ゃ next to the き or below it? While they are 2 characters, technically, they're still one mora so I'm not sure. And just to verify, the small っ would be written on it's own row in vertical writing as well, right? Unlike ゃ, っ is a mora so I would think so, but it could still be hard to tell the size in vertical writing.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

RE: quick question about vertical writing

Postby richvh » Thu 09.06.2007 10:40 am

In vertical writing, the small kana are written below the preceding kana, and are offset to the lower right corner of the "box" they are written in. (Except for furigana - there generally is no way to tell きょ from きよ in furigana.)

Here's an example of vertical writing.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby JaySee » Thu 09.06.2007 10:47 am

In vertical writing all charatcers and kana (also the small ones) are written underneath each other. Because small kana are... well... smaller, and dont fill up the entire 'square', they're written in the top right corner of it, similar to 。 and 、

Edit: God why is it every time I try to answer a question, someone else posts the answer while I'm typing, making my post completely redundant *self pity*
Last edited by JaySee on Thu 09.06.2007 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JaySee

Native language: Dutch

Postby sei » Thu 09.06.2007 12:13 pm

If you type some sentences up in Word and then go to Format>Change direction of text, you'll see how everything is supposed to be done.

Well, I think everyone has that feature. At least when I installed IME I suddenly realized I had that, so it must have come with it.

Hope it helps.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby G-baby » Thu 09.06.2007 1:37 pm

Small Tsu, Ya, Yu, Yo are written in the top right corner of the next box for vertical writing.

In horizontal writing, they are written in the bottom left corner of the next box. (Even though it may appear that it is in the bottom right corner of the same box as it's preceding character)
G-baby

Return to Japanese General Discussion