Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Postby sei » Wed 09.12.2007 8:07 am

somethinorwatever wrote:
what's an organic group?

On the first post there's a link to a page about it.

To everyone else, thank you for joining and be sure to double check if you have the right time. Don't forget this time is decided on GMT+1 (UK time), so be sure you're making your math right. ;)

This site might be very useful to some: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

See you all next Saturday. :)
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Chrisku » Wed 09.12.2007 8:51 pm

hello people,

I'm new to Japnese and recently just started to study my first hirgana. Still have problems drawing a cross <Cry> but i'm interested in joining you guys, i'm GMT 05:00 Eastern Standard time zone. :D Japanese is fun!
Chrisku

Postby Hatori » Wed 09.12.2007 9:23 pm

I'd love to join the little meeting groups, but... I have such difficulty teaching myself that it'd just be hard to do exercises and set up things to work on during the week. :@ :(
BUT! At least I'm learning things like this during the week:
Ich heiße Hatori!
Tag!
etc.
lol. I love how lame I am. :p ;)
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Thu 09.13.2007 12:41 am

Hmm. Dun think will be a problem to me too unless I have something important on Sunday morning. Count me in pls. GMT +8 here.
terence_hideyoshi

Postby Valatunda » Thu 09.13.2007 12:19 pm

Sei told me to make a post for anyone who is uncertain of how to get into the chatroom. It is hoped the information you need is in this Chat Article. Meetings will take place in the Study Group (Beginners and Upper Beginners) room.

By the way, Sei is not to be the sole organizer of this group and I am not to be told by Sei to make posts. Anyone can organize things in this group. Please feel free to give a helping hand. That includes me also.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Rypermanji » Thu 09.13.2007 2:22 pm

Valatunda wrote:
Sei told me to make a post for anyone who is uncertain of how to get into the chatroom. It is hoped the information you need is in this Chat Article. Meetings will take place in the Study Group (Beginners and Upper Beginners) room.

By the way, Sei is not to be the sole organizer of this group and I am not to be told by Sei to make posts. Anyone can organize things in this group. Please feel free to give a helping hand. That includes me also.

Val, if you don't want to be apart of the group, just say so and stop pretending. I find your comment to be insulting to Sei. If you ARE going to be apart of it, please learn and participate. I'll be honest though, I don't see much enthusiasm for learning Japanese in you...
グラディスが大好きだよ!
Rypermanji

Postby weirdo36 » Thu 09.13.2007 3:35 pm

Since you said there are no joining requirements il be there i want to see if i can learn a thing while having fun.
weirdo36

Postby sei » Thu 09.13.2007 5:43 pm

Well, one requirement we shouldn't even have to mention, was everyone has to help preparing the meetings and collecting material and so. It's a group (I'm getting tired of repeating the same thing), so everyone helps and everyone participates. There are NO specific organizers and teachers...
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby Valatunda » Thu 09.13.2007 6:22 pm

Rypermanji wrote:
Val, if you don't want to be apart of the group, just say so and stop pretending.

I had written a piece about my interest with the group, but I omitted it. I thought I would see how I felt after Saturday’s meeting. But maybe it would be best for my health not to participate at all. Just so you all know my interest was low, but not nonexistent.

I find your comment to be insulting to Sei.

I did not say it without reason. However she did seem to be insulted and I apologized.

If you ARE going to be apart of it, please learn and participate.

That sentence reminds me of the time you kept bothering me at one of the meetings. Observation is part of my nature and I participate when I feel it is necessary, not when you state so. Also did you bother anyone who didn’t show up? Surely they weren’t participating too.

I'll be honest though, I don't see much enthusiasm for learning Japanese in you...

Despite your efforts, my enthusiasm is quite well thank you. In fact I recently received my Japanese Graded Readers Level 2 vol.1 that I ordered last week. Your inane hostility will not stop me from learning Japanese, so just leave me alone please.

Also I have decided that I shall not be part of this group any longer.
Last edited by Valatunda on Thu 09.13.2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valatunda

Postby Rypermanji » Fri 09.14.2007 12:35 am

Valatunda wrote:
If you ARE going to be apart of it, please learn and participate.

That sentence reminds me of the time you kept bothering me at one of the meetings. Observation is part of my nature and I participate when I feel it is necessary, not when you state so.

Learning a language is like learning how to drive. Sure you can watch someone else do it and learn from it, but you will never truely learn until you get behind the wheel and try it for yourself. In the meeting I made tried to make everyone participate. For those who understood the material, they did well and were able to remember it better because of the practice. For those who did not understand the material quite as well, it showed them that they still needed to practice it. I tried to get EVERYONE, not just you to do it.
Also did you bother anyone who didn’t show up? Surely they weren’t participating too.

I cannot remember the names of everyone, and the website was not up to date. YOU were the one with the list of participants. I cannot make everyone come to a meeting, but for those who do, I am going to help them as much as I can...but that means they need to be willing to learn. What is the point of coming to a meeting if you are not going to participate...it seemed to me that you didn't even want to learn Japanese by your tone...I had even offered to help you privately.

Despite your efforts, my enthusiasm is quite well thank you. In fact I recently received my Japanese Graded Readers Level 2 vol.1 that I ordered last week. Your inane hostility will not stop me from learning Japanese, so just leave me alone please.

Also I have decided that I shall not be part of this group any longer.

If you are going to take my joy of teacher others what I love so much as hostility, then go ahead. I only ever tried to help you learn and understand. It is you who will lose the opportunity to benefit from another study group, where everyone participates and learns, TOGETHER.
I did not try to stop you from learning Japanese...quite the contrary, but here, you are being rude to Sei, who is trying to set up a good thing for many beginners...which is unnecessary.

I was not the only one teaching in the last group, so these are just my views.
グラディスが大好きだよ!
Rypermanji

Postby Infidel » Fri 09.14.2007 1:24 am

looking at your avatar. Isn't a manji supposed to go the other way?
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby weirdo36 » Fri 09.14.2007 4:35 am

@ sei ok il prepare myzelf for the meeting and il have some ideas. But i think were gonna have to improvise the first time since we won't know which lvl everybody is on right now. I suppose the first thing we would have to do is making sure everybody is able to read/write hiragana. Anyway il just follow along since i don't really have an idea how to study together. For myzelf there are only 2 methods i know of how to study japanese, the first is selfstudying which can over time get quite boring and the second one is actually speaking japanese which is of course pretty hard if you are a begginner (which i also am btw).

Anyway i hope that with a possitive attitude we can come a long way.
weirdo36

Postby Rypermanji » Fri 09.14.2007 6:20 am

Infidel wrote:
looking at your avatar. Isn't a manji supposed to go the other way?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika
Here not only will you learn about the true meaning of the swastika, but you'll also learn where I stole my avatar from...;; I'll make my own soon enough.
グラディスが大好きだよ!
Rypermanji

Postby Infidel » Fri 09.14.2007 6:30 am

Yea, I've been to that page a few times.

my point was your name has the word manji in it, not swastika. Type manji and hit henkan, it doesn't go both ways, whatever wikipedia might say. Sure, there are the words omote manji and ura manji, but the word manji is by itself it written 卍. Facing right it's a reverse-manji. gyaku manji. Something than isn't reverse doesn't require another label, thus the word manji refers to the left facing one.

To simplify. You can point to two pictures of a man and call one forward-facing and another rear-facing. But if you just show one picture and say, this is a Man, then you don't show a picture of his rear.
Last edited by Infidel on Fri 09.14.2007 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Postby coco » Fri 09.14.2007 6:35 am

At least, some people know Valatunda-san worked hard for the previous study group. I just want to express my gratitude for all of Valatunda-san's efforts.

Valantundaさん、お疲れさまでした。
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion