Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Study Group (Beginners and Upper-Beginners)

Postby wststreet » Fri 09.14.2007 9:53 am

i am really really confused here...

1. During sumer time romania is GMT +3???? 16 years of life i didn't even knew that.... (so this means the meeting will be 2 hours later for me...)
2. The meeting is acualy a chat on Pandion? And there is no pandion for linux, right? I hope my windows won't hang again....
wststreet

Postby Gan » Fri 09.14.2007 10:52 am

Sorry if i am too late but i'd like to join this, i mean I dont have any set times I can be on, but tuesday 10am - 5 pm is my most realible time to get on.. I'm screwed arnt I? LOL
Gan

Native language: English

Postby Valatunda » Fri 09.14.2007 12:11 pm

Rypermanji wrote:
Learning a language is like learning how to drive. Sure you can watch someone else do it and learn from it, but you will never truely learn until you get behind the wheel and try it for yourself. In the meeting I made tried to make everyone participate. For those who understood the material, they did well and were able to remember it better because of the practice. For those who did not understand the material quite as well, it showed them that they still needed to practice it. I tried to get EVERYONE, not just you to do it.

But yet you were wrong for trying to make me participate. I was willing to participate when I felt it was best to. The fact you tried to get everyone to participate is redundant.

I cannot remember the names of everyone, and the website was not up to date. YOU were the one with the list of participants.

The member list, or the time zone list as I know it, was quite available for you to look at anytime.

I cannot make everyone come to a meeting, but for those who do, I am going to help them as much as I can...but that means they need to be willing to learn. What is the point of coming to a meeting if you are not going to participate...it seemed to me that you didn't even want to learn Japanese by your tone...

Your forcefulness threatened me. There was no rule to state I had to participate. What is more I was a moderator for the chatroom and so I had a duty to be there just in case something inappropriate happened. Alas, however, a tired state and low interest in the group lead to me not coming to the chatroom too often in the ending days.

I had even offered to help you privately.

I cannot remember you ever offering to help me privately. However I could have just forgotten.

If you are going to take my joy of teacher others what I love so much as hostility, then go ahead. I only ever tried to help you learn and understand.

Despite what you thought, you took away my right to learn in my own way. You show the reason way mainstream education fails for some. It is too general. I should not have to come to the group and feel pressured to participate. I should participate when I feel I am ready to do so. That does not mean by any means that I do not understand what is being discussed and that I am not learning.

It is you who will lose the opportunity to benefit from another study group, where everyone participates and learns, TOGETHER.

That is not a great loss. I simply have not benefited from being in a study group. But I don't think I had ever experienced being in one before and so I gave it a try.

I did not try to stop you from learning Japanese...quite the contrary, but here, you are being rude to Sei, who is trying to set up a good thing for many beginners...which is unnecessary.

You may not have tried, but that inevitably came across as such. And as I have stated before, I did not say anything without reason. Sei asked me a few times to write posts. My attempts were not to her liking and I failed to really understand what she wanted me to say.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby Valatunda » Fri 09.14.2007 12:21 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I did not think this should have been included in the other post.

wststreet wrote:
2. The meeting is acualy a chat on Pandion? And there is no pandion for linux, right? I hope my windows won't hang again....

There are other programs you can use to get into the chatroom. I think one is suggested in the comments section of the Chat Article.
Valatunda

Native language: 英語

Postby sei » Fri 09.14.2007 6:14 pm

And as I have stated before, I did not say anything without reason. Sei asked me a few times to write posts. My attempts were not to her liking and I failed to really understand what she wanted me to say.

I actually wasn't going to say anything about it but now I feel the need to. You are insulting me again, or at least I feel so. I asked you to do some posts, yes, and I think I clearly explained why. One of the reasons was stated by you even. We wanted this group to not be a classroom. And if I did all the posts it would lead to everyone thinking I was some sort of teacher, and that wasn't what I wanted people to think. Since we are still in the early stages of the group, there wasn't really anyone I could trust or ask to make this posts, so you, as one of the persons who gave the idea and helped elaborate it, could make the posts. So I ASKED you... I never ordered or forced you. So please don't say I did. And I appreciated your efforts, but you seemed sort of uninterested in making them and took too long, so I gave up most of the time and just quickly did them myself.

And I'll say one thing now. Take this out of the thread if any of you want to continue it. This is not the place to do it. And Val, if you want to leave the group, it's your choice, but I find it even more insulting to me, as you were to one who gave me the idea in the first place, and explained to me well what your idea was, so I created a plan in my head. Now giving up after starting it... At least you could have told me before that your interest was low, and I would have saved myself the trouble.

On a more important note, I don't think I'll have trouble coming tomorrow, but since I just spend 6 hours in an hospital... I am not sure if anything might happen till then or not. Hopefully everything is ok now. So, see you all tomorrow. =)
And wststreet, I appreciate the ideas and all feedback. :)
Last edited by sei on Fri 09.14.2007 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions? Feel free to ask. :)
sei

Native language: Portuguese

Postby wststreet » Sat 09.15.2007 11:10 am

i'd say no problem but i don't remember giving any ideas :P i got my PC ready for it, Gaim works well, i can now type 日本語 and i finaly figured the time zones so i am still waiting now
wststreet

Postby Kodama_30 » Sun 09.16.2007 6:10 am

Regrettably, I missed the initial meeting yesterday, due to something caming up last minute. But I am still eager to participate in future and help out where possible. How did it go yesterday anyway?

Also, may I make a suggestion; that perhaps if possible and with the help of willing participants a seperate 'JLPT' group be set up (perhaps on a sunday) in addition to the current one. To help people undergoing the JLPT test this December. Obviously the potential members of this group will be significantly smaller, but even if only a handful of people were to join, I think it would still prove useful providing the few actively contribute. Quality over quantity as they say. :)
Kodama_30

Postby Spikeygal » Sun 09.16.2007 7:42 am

Sorry for missing the first meeting yesterday! By the time I remembered it it was already almost 5.30 in the UK, so I decided not to interupt. I'll try not to let my memory be so hopeless next week. ^_^;
Spikeygal

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Sun 09.16.2007 10:36 am

Huh? Had it started already? Sorry ppl. I'm seriously lost here.
terence_hideyoshi

Postby weirdo36 » Sun 09.16.2007 10:59 am

Well you didn't missed that much so far, we basicly chatted around and introduced ourselfs to each other. For next week be sure to know youre hiragana flawless.
weirdo36

Postby sei » Sun 09.16.2007 11:52 am

Kodama_30 wrote:
Also, may I make a suggestion; that perhaps if possible and with the help of willing participants a seperate 'JLPT' group be set up (perhaps on a sunday) in addition to the current one. To help people undergoing the JLPT test this December. Obviously the potential members of this group will be significantly smaller, but even if only a handful of people were to join, I think it would still prove useful providing the few actively contribute. Quality over quantity as they say. :)

We already had a group like that before. As of now it is closed, so this one was created instead. But there is still a chatroom called JLPT Study which you can enter and take any questions you have.
sei

Postby terence_hideyoshi » Tue 09.18.2007 7:33 am

weirdo36 wrote:
Well you didn't missed that much so far, we basicly chatted around and introduced ourselfs to each other. For next week be sure to know youre hiragana flawless.

icic.. Time wise? Also, will there be any password to enter the chat room?
terence_hideyoshi

Postby sei » Tue 09.18.2007 8:18 am

terence_hideyoshi wrote:
icic.. Time wise? Also, will there be any password to enter the chat room?

That's a good question. We'll need to discuss that. But since it's a general group I was thinking it would be good if anyone was allowed in the chatroom. As some persons could also come and help when they have time. Opinions?
sei

Postby yuubi » Tue 09.18.2007 2:35 pm

i agree with sei. there's no need for a password.
yuubi

Postby Denus » Tue 09.18.2007 2:55 pm

I would like to join this as well. I live in GMT-5 and would be available Saturday anytime after 6PM GMT.
Denus

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion