Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - I'm so pathetic... could someone help me?

I'm so pathetic... could someone help me?

Japanese, general discussion on the language

I'm so pathetic... could someone help me?

Postby Keiriichan » Sat 09.08.2007 3:39 am

Hello!

I go on an international penpal website, where you could get penpals from all over the world. I messeged a girl who had many of the interests I did. She spoke English her intro, so I took it that she knew how to speak English. After writing her, she said that speaking English was a bit new to her, and asked if we could speak in Japanese. I'm just learning... I don't have a very large Japanese vocabulary... so I'm going to need help translating these lines.

Sorry this is so pathetic. lol!

Here's her messege:

"iiyo^_^

watashimo "kodocha"nara shitteruyo!
sugoku omoshiroiyone^^

anata nihongo tottemo jozu yo^_^ "

We were talking about "Kodocha", an anime that I asked her if she liked. I also appologized for probably butchering every Japanese word I wrote. lol! I hope my above messege doesn't sound mean in any way... there's just a bit of a communication problem now. lol! Thanks for any help!
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Bill Cosby
Keiriichan

RE: I'm so pathetic... could someone help me?

Postby NZJutsu » Sat 09.08.2007 4:23 am

Can you translate any of it by yourself?
NZJutsu

Postby saraLynne » Sat 09.08.2007 6:35 am

Well. You're not pathetic. The circumstances are unfortunate, and sadly all too common. People just don't think about these things when they get help writing something in a language they don't understand. Sigh.

As for this letter... it's no big deal, I'll try to break it up for you so you can maybe work some of it out yourself. However, you must consider that you'll be doing this for pretty much all incoming and outgoing communication with her. Is that something you want to put yourself (and everyone here) through? And does she know you'll be writing her mails for strangers to see? These are important things!

Just curious, but did she write in kana and you transcribed, or is this a copy (cut and paste) of her original romaji text?

-----------
ii yo

watshi mo "kodocha" nara shitteru yo!

sugoku omoshiroi yo ne

anata [no] nihongo [ga] totemo jouzu yo

-----------------------------

I added omitted particles to help you with placement. Do what you can, and then people will help you more.
saraLynne

Postby katsunori » Sat 09.08.2007 6:55 am

Keiriichan-san,

I think you and your penpal can use a translation website. For example. Yahoo Japan's translation.

How to use this site:

1) Select the translation type :
英⇒日 (from English to Japanese)
日⇒英  (from Japanese to English)
In this case, you should select 日⇒英.

2) Copy&paste the text. (This site can't use romaji. I think it is difficult to translate from romaji directly .)

Her message in Japanese:
いいよ。
わたしも「こどちゃ」なら知ってるよ。
すごくおもしろいよね。
あなたの日本語はとてもじょうずよ。

3) Push the 「翻訳(Translation)」 button. ( However, it might be the strange translation.)

Can you get the translation?  
--- That\'s my limit of English skills. ---
Katsu
katsunori

Postby Gundaetiapo » Sat 09.08.2007 10:06 am

Is your penpal ok with you posting their private message? [wiki]FAQ#Finding_Penpals[/wiki]
Gundaetiapo

Native language: English

Postby Keiriichan » Sat 09.08.2007 2:59 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone! :) I do know most of what she said... there were only a couple words I couldn't make out.

Saralynne: Yes, it's a copy-paste of a romanji letter... my main computer is broken and this one can't write in Hiragana\Katakana\Kanji.

Katsunori: Thank you for the reccommendation! It's much appreciated! :) I tried it... and it worked! Now there will be no problem with bothering anyone else. lol!
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Bill Cosby
Keiriichan

Postby richvh » Sat 09.08.2007 3:41 pm

You might want to ask your friend to write in mixed kanji/kana like normal - it will be easier for you to throw into an automatic translator - or, better for you in the long run, WWWJDIC's Translate Words function (Ironically enough, once you get over your fear of kanji, mixed kanji/kana is easier to parse for foreign learners than kana only text.)
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Return to Japanese General Discussion