Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Jack in the box

Jack in the box

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Jack in the box

Postby AJBryant » Fri 09.14.2007 2:20 pm

That was kinda the idea, "pop out" at "pop."

I subit that the ones that popped at random were not "the idea" but actually "defective."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Hatori » Fri 09.14.2007 5:42 pm

Hmmm... This would be a good prank to pull on my dog... :p
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 09.15.2007 7:16 am

Hatori wrote:
Hmmm... This would be a good prank to pull on my dog... :p

My favorite prank (when I was a callow high school youth) played on a dog involved a friend's German Shepherd.

I was eating popcorn, and throwing kernels to the dog, who displayed a remarkable ability to track the flying kernels and catch them in mid-air. Thrown straight at him, off to the left, off to the right....made no difference; he was superb.

The fun started when I decided to see what would happen if I went through the motion of throwing popcorn without actually throwing anything. He tracked, lunged, and snapped at the air based on the trajectory he anticipated from watching the motion of my hand. It was really very impressive to see that he was obviously making these calculations and not just visually following the flying popcorn.

After being faked out a few times he just sat and gave a "You do realize I could tear your throat out with no trouble at all, don't you?" glare as I continued faking throws. Even going back to actual throws didn't stop the glaring.

Naturally, being beer-fueled and highly immature 17 year olds, we were all about to piss ourselves from laughing so hard.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Sat 09.15.2007 9:03 pm

My favorite (popcorn) related gag requires:

A dimly-lit movie theater
A date
A big tub of popcorn
A penknife.

I don't think I need to go into details.

(No, never actually did it -- but I'd love to see someone do it.)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Sat 09.15.2007 10:01 pm

Wouldn't it... itch?
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Sun 09.16.2007 2:01 pm

Find a way to get that itch scratched. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Hatori » Sun 09.16.2007 7:14 pm

AJBryant wrote:

I remember when I was in sixth grade that my boyfriend who's two years younger than me (nay, I'm not a perv) he taped a popcorn kernal onto a lightbulb to see if it would pop. I nearly peed my pants from laughter because it was so stupid and didn't work...
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Postby tanuki » Sun 09.16.2007 9:08 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Find a way to get that itch scratched. ;)

As long as no nails are involved. :o
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 09.17.2007 2:05 pm

AJBryant wrote:

A dimly-lit movie theater
A date
A big tub of popcorn
A penknife.

I don't think I need to go into details.

(No, never actually did it -- but I'd love to see someone do it.)

Tony

someone has been watching too many SNL skits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmVU08zVpA

(the Previous you tube video is uncensored and not work friendly. if you click the link and are offended, go slap yourself in the face. adult content included, so if you're not 18, go ask your parents to preview it first and see if it's ok for you to watch.)
Last edited by two_heads_talking on Mon 09.17.2007 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
two_heads_talking

Postby Feba » Fri 09.21.2007 6:04 am

I remember when my parents gave me one before my first birthday.

Am I the only person that noticed this? How in the world do you remember anything that early? I barely remember anything from when I was five! I hope you're talking about a home video or something...
Feba

Postby Infidel » Fri 09.21.2007 7:00 am

Heh, I'm the total opposite. How in the world do you only remember back to when you were five?

I've studied this a bit because you aren't the first to react this way. I think it has to do with perspective. Ever heard the expression "square peg-round hole"? I'm pretty sure this is the reason other people have difficulty recalling early memories. If we use our current knowledge and accumulated experience to filter our perspective, then we can look back no further than that perspective applies.

For example, if you hear two people speaking Japanese before you understand the language. Then go learn Japanese, you are not going to recall the sounds they made, much less understand it later when you try to remember. If on the other hand, your brain happens to be good at parsing sounds, then you might be able to recall it if you switch your brain into sound mode when attempting to recall, instead of it's usual language mode.

Most people's memories are based on word classification, so it's nearly impossible to remember using our language faculty a time before we spoke fluently.

I classify things based on my tactile and visual senses not names. Which incidentally means I really annoy people when obviously look at their name badge even after working with them for over a year. So for me, memories don't really get fuzzy until the point where I was differentiating my senses.

Which, by the way, was TOTAL HELL. I was constantly getting lost before I had learned to make visual templates. Most people don't remember this learned ability; I do. I remember being traumatized any time someone picked me up and moved me even only a short distance. Now I can judge the force used to move me and realize I was barely moved at all but I didn't realize it then. To me it was as if I had been plucked up and placed on another planet. Back then, if you showed me a rock, then turned it in your hand, I would see two different rocks, not two different perspectives of the same rock. That's what I mean by templating. Heck, I didn't even realize that the person that gave me hugs and carrying me everywhere and the person changing my diaper were the same person visually. If I couldn't hear her voice or smell her, she was a total stranger.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Feba » Fri 09.21.2007 8:01 am

My memory is fuzzy in general, I only remember bits and pieces before about three or four years ago, but I've never met anyone that actually remembered anything (events, that is, not things like shapes and stuff we LEARN, I consider learning and remembering different) before about three years, my earliest memory is maybe three and a half or four at best.
Feba

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 09.21.2007 8:40 am

the majority of "professionals" say it's 3years or earlier that most people forget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood_amnesia

it's called childhood_amnesia. there are studies that point to being able to remember clearly events after age 3 but before 3, the memories if any are nothing but vague. In fact those same studies try to show that any memories before age 3 are usually false and created within ones own mind .. but it's just a study so who really knows, what is or isn't causing certain memories.
two_heads_talking

Postby Infidel » Fri 09.21.2007 11:45 pm

Please keep in mind that this is a learning disability.

It wasn't until the third grade where I started to realize that M and m were the same letter. Every time I saw a different font or form of representation, it was a different shape entirely. I remember kindergarten where they would make caricatures out of each letter. There was Mr. T who was a bunch of teeth with a Yellow T on his chest. Etc. I didn't understand until 3rd grade that he was supposed to represent the letter T as a mnemonic of sorts, instead I was scared and hid at the back of the class because I thought it would eat me. It took me far longer than normal to start templating effectively, so since my brain wouldn't switch over on time, my memory continued working on a more primitive level longer, so I remember the process.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion