Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Typing Japanese

Typing Japanese

Japanese, general discussion on the language

RE: Typing Japanese

Postby Rinjii » Mon 09.24.2007 11:31 am

ah ok, thanks. That makes sense, I'm using internet explorer, I guess I should switch :p

EDIT: Bah, I've come across a problem, I have windows vista, and according to the help files I cant install the Japanese language packs unless I have the Ultimate Version, or Enterprise version. Which I dont. I guess I'll have to download a Japanese Word Processor too
Last edited by Rinjii on Mon 09.24.2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rinjii

Native language: English

Postby hyperconjugated » Mon 09.24.2007 12:13 pm

Rinjii wrote:
ah ok, thanks. That makes sense, I'm using internet explorer, I guess I should switch :p

EDIT: Bah, I've come across a problem, I have windows vista, and according to the help files I cant install the Japanese language packs unless I have the Ultimate Version, or Enterprise version. Which I dont. I guess I'll have to download a Japanese Word Processor too

As a temporary solution, there is at least
one browser based Japanese IME out there.
http://ajaxime.chasen.org/
It should work with both IE and Firefox.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Feba » Mon 09.24.2007 1:39 pm

your previous sentence was implying that computers have at least 80GB of space (and so 230MB could easily fit into his/her computer...). I merely rectified that computers do not all have a baseline of 80GB, unless you're only considering the very recent ones.

even baseline computers nowadays have about 80 GB of space.

once again, for emphasis. If you are going to comment on a post, please take the time to actually read it.

And it's not even recent ones really, those are passing that mark even. My computer is three years old, was around $800 when I bought it, and still has an 80 GB drive. Even the cheapest of the cheap nowadays usually have 80 GB as a minimum
Feba

Postby Infidel » Mon 09.24.2007 4:11 pm

Feba wrote:
I'm thinking you're not considering people who haven't bought computer in last few years... My computer is like 6 years old and has 40 GB only. Half of that was added a couple years ago...

If you're really that starved for space, it's probably time to get a new PC.

for emphasis

sounds like advising someone to buy a new car because they get a flat tire.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby Dehitay » Mon 09.24.2007 6:08 pm

Infidel wrote:

actually, memory to a computer is more important than tires to a car. It's more like advising some one to buy a car because their car only holds 1 gallon of gas but still burns gas as fast as a regular car.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby suko » Tue 09.25.2007 9:27 am

Dehitay wrote:
Infidel wrote:

actually, memory to a computer is more important than tires to a car. It's more like advising some one to buy a car because their car only holds 1 gallon of gas but still burns gas as fast as a regular car.

heh heh, I like the analogy here. It made me smile...
suko

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 09.25.2007 9:42 am

Dehitay wrote:
Infidel wrote:

There once was a man from Boston
Who drove about in an Austin
There was room for his ass, and a gallon of gas
But his balls hung out and he lost 'em
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby mr_pain » Tue 09.25.2007 9:55 am

Rinjii wrote:

You SHOULD switch to FireFox!

Also you dont have to buy Ultimate for the Japanese IME support :

If you can see the Keyboard/Language chooser (Often dispays as "EN" in the task bar at the bottom; Right Click on it, choose "settings" and then click "Add" - look for Japanese (doh!) , open the keyboard option (+) and select "Microsoft IME").

After everything has installed (I think its automatically downloaded) you can then left-click to choose the input. If you select Japanese you will then have to click on the big "A" that appears and select either Hiragana or Full width Katakana.

Im using Vista Home and ひらがな and カタカナ seem fine for me...but yes, this is Vista :(
Last edited by mr_pain on Tue 09.25.2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr_pain

Postby Kodama_30 » Tue 09.25.2007 5:30 pm

I'm diverging slighly from the topic at hand here, but regarding the computer space issue, the cheapest option available (barring deleting some old files) would be to buy a new hard-drive. To buy a entire new computer for additional space, when your current one has adequate capacity for more is a tad foolish I think. ;)

You'll find that the average price of a 60GB HD to be about £30 nowadays, and of course you could always opt to buy pre-owned and probably pay half that. :)
Kodama_30

Postby Denus » Tue 09.25.2007 5:56 pm

Kodama_30 wrote:
I'm diverging slighly from the topic at hand here, but regarding the computer space issue, the cheapest option available (barring deleting some old files) would be to buy a new hard-drive. To buy a entire new computer for additional space, when your current one has adequate capacity for more is a tad foolish I think. ;)

I was going to say that. Storage (not memory, that's RAM and is an entirely separate issue) is theoretically mostly irrelevant beyond that needed to store and run the OS. A better analogy would be to compare it to the trunk size of the car (basically, without a lot of space, you can't do much besides turn it on and move it around. :P)
Last edited by Denus on Tue 09.25.2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denus

Postby Rinjii » Thu 09.27.2007 8:29 am

mr_pain wrote:

You SHOULD switch to FireFox!

Also you dont have to buy Ultimate for the Japanese IME support :

If you can see the Keyboard/Language chooser (Often dispays as "EN" in the task bar at the bottom; Right Click on it, choose "settings" and then click "Add" - look for Japanese (doh!) , open the keyboard option (+) and select "Microsoft IME").

After everything has installed (I think its automatically downloaded) you can then left-click to choose the input. If you select Japanese you will then have to click on the big "A" that appears and select either Hiragana or Full width Katakana.

Im using Vista Home and ひらがな and カタカナ seem fine for me...but yes, this is Vista :(

I dont have the language chooser on my task bar. I've looked under options for it, and cant find it anywhere.
Rinjii

Postby ran10 » Sun 09.30.2007 4:21 pm

You've tried installing the Japanese IME from Microsoft, right? I use that and that only, and it's only a few megabytes.
ran10

Postby katafei » Sun 09.30.2007 4:37 pm

At work, our pc will no longer support Japanese language. So I need a way to bypass this system without downloading anything.
IT will notice whatever we download and it will be thrown off whithin a matter of days. They actually employ someone to guard all that :@
So I'm told you can put anything of your 'home pc' on a special USB stick, so you can use these programs on any computer without downloading.

Does this oblique story make sense to anyone?

Honestly, I really do work hard when I'm on the job, break my back literally, come to think of it....but when I'm on nights, it would be great if I could do some Japanese reading and studying.

so if anyone has any tips?
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby jenl » Sun 09.30.2007 4:58 pm

katafei-san, if you have Windows XP on your work computer, you can try just installing a unicode Japanese font. Then, you can at least read - and use online IME if you need to type something. This is what I use on my work computer since I can't change the language settings on it.

If your work is even stricter than that, then you could try a portal like this:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/jviewer.html

I think the USB thing you are mentioning is something like http://www.mojopac.com/ - it's like running a seperate installation of windows from the USB. It says there that it doesn't leave any trace on the computer you use, but I don't have any experience with this kind of thing personally.
jenl

Previous

Return to Japanese General Discussion