Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - A great way to learn kanji

A great way to learn kanji

Japanese, general discussion on the language

A great way to learn kanji

Postby Ferio » Sun 10.07.2007 1:16 pm

Hi minnasan! =D
I just found out a great page for kanji stroke/meaning learning!

Its here http://www.yamasa.cc/members/ocjs/kanjidic.nsf/MainPage?OpenForm and the special thing of this one is that when you search for a kanji, it shows three pictures:
-One for the kanji (static).
-One for the animated kanji with the order of strokes.
-One for a daily-form kanji. This one is useful if you want to understand what japanese people write, because some of the nihonjin(most of them, actually :P) don't write it in the "dictionary" form. It takes so much time XD

As for the kanji dictionary, it has also this options:
-ON and kun reading
-Meaning of the kanji in your language
-Joyo grade and trace count
-Kanji, radicals, words (I haven't used this one, so I don't kno what it is XP)

Also, they have this features:
-A normal dictionary
-"Search by Kanji" option
-Kanji + words that begin with it
-Kanji + words that contain it
-Kanji advanced search
-Kanji link generator (have not used)
-Search by word (Japanese/Your Language)

The languages you can choose are:
1. English
2. Spanish
3. Korean
4. Chinese

And I think they're all of them :P

Well, I hope it helps :)
Ja mata :D
Ferio

RE: A great way to learn kanji

Postby SirFirestorm » Sun 10.07.2007 1:18 pm

This one is useful if you want to understand what japanese people write, because some of the nihonjin(most of them, actually ) don't write it in the "dictionary" form. It takes so much time XD

oh my.
SirFirestorm

Postby Xurma » Sun 10.07.2007 2:50 pm

No good.
Xurma

Postby queshaw » Sun 10.07.2007 4:38 pm

Thanks. That looks nifty.
queshaw

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 10.07.2007 5:20 pm

SirFirestorm wrote:
This one is useful if you want to understand what japanese people write, because some of the nihonjin(most of them, actually ) don't write it in the "dictionary" form. It takes so much time XD

oh my.

I'm not sure what your response was intended to mean, but the original poster is completely right about this. The standard handwriting of native speakers is quite hard to interpret because of the "cursive" way they write the kanji.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby SirFirestorm » Sun 10.07.2007 6:37 pm

What I meant was I have never seen that feature on any other site. I guess it could be useful if you were exchanging handwritten letters with a person overestimating your reading ability. Chinese people do it too, you gotta figure it out by the shape and maybe stroke order I guess.

Navigating that site isnt so easy either, it is defaulted to korean and I cant figure how to turn it into english.
SirFirestorm

Postby sushi4ever » Mon 10.08.2007 7:17 am

SirFirestorm wrote:
Navigating that site isnt so easy either, it is defaulted to korean and I cant figure how to turn it into english.

weird, i clicked on the link and it was all in english O.o
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby Ferio » Mon 10.08.2007 2:26 pm

Gomen >_< I posted the direct link... if you have problems with language you can enter this one instead =D after choosing the language it will take you to another page. The link to the dictionary is at the end.
http://www.yamasa.org/ocjs/kanjijiten/index.html
Last edited by Ferio on Mon 10.08.2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ferio

Postby hungryhotei » Mon 10.08.2007 3:32 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
SirFirestorm wrote:

oh my.

I'm not sure what your response was intended to mean, but the original poster is completely right about this. The standard handwriting of native speakers is quite hard to interpret because of the "cursive" way they write the kanji.

It's surprising that so little emphasis is placed on reading or writing handwritten styles in most other kanji dictionaries and workbooks.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Postby Shirasagi » Mon 10.08.2007 5:58 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
SirFirestorm wrote:

oh my.

I recall Mike Cash posted an excellent example of this over on sci.lang.japan some time back.
Josh Reyer
------------
頓ニ纜ヲ斬テ大荒ニ入レ。
長岡桃嶺房成
Shirasagi

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 10.08.2007 6:49 pm

I assume it's not in kanji dictionaries or textbooks because the individual writing style varies so much.

There is a textbook about reading handwritten Japanese, though.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Infidel » Tue 10.09.2007 6:13 am

kanji alive uses handwritten movie images in addition to pictures of the standard font. It also has waves of most standard words. Pretty good resource.

an introduction to written japanese also uses handwritten samples.
Last edited by Infidel on Tue 10.09.2007 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
なるほど。
さっぱりわからん。
Infidel

Native language: 英語

Postby ThePacster » Thu 10.11.2007 7:07 pm

After seeing this, I had to make a comment about the handwritten kanji to get some feedback from others who may be more in the know.

I discovered the Yamasa database some time ago and have been using it to practice the stroke orders, but looking at the handwritten examples left me confused. So, I asked my teacher about it to see what she'd say (this was back in spring semester).

At first she didn't know what I was talking about, but after I vaguely began to draw a kanji I remembered seeing, she explained to me that kanji written like that is of a particular script (whose name I can't remember). She went on to say that although people do write that way, its mostly older people who write this way, and its becoming much more common to see it written as something like in kanji alive

http://kanjialive.lib.uchicago.edu/i/qi2.gif

versus

http://www.yamasa.cc/members/ocjs/kanji ... 541_hw.gif

And just for the record, my teacher isn't a teacher persay, but more of a student tutor. For the Japanese classes at my school, they select students who were raised in Japan and are fluent in the language. After her explaining that to me it sort of made sense since all the kanji she wrote in class were written similar to that of kanji alive, as well as my new teacher (student tutor) this semester.

Anyone else heard something similar?
Last edited by ThePacster on Thu 10.11.2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePacster

Postby Ferio » Fri 10.19.2007 3:02 pm

I just visited my japanese friend HIDEKOsan xD and i asked about how she draws the SHIRO (castle) kanji... she just came up with a handwriten version just like it was in the page i posted here =P just took her about 3 seconds to draw it X__X

So i guess both of the forms are still used o.o
Ferio

Return to Japanese General Discussion