Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - audio trouble

audio trouble

Japanese, general discussion on the language

audio trouble

Postby zenbone » Mon 10.15.2007 1:16 pm

i am in the VERY early stages of learning japanese (first level college course and rosetta stone on my own). i recently took a test in class and did ok except for the dialog section. sensei read 2 discussions and we were to answer the questions about the discussion and i absolutly fell apart. i know the rules we have learned and i am getting pretty good at hiragana and katakana but just could not get the dialog - like my ears were disconnected from my brain.
can anyone suggest ways for me to build this skill set? i really felt ashamed by my lack of skill in this... any help would be appreciated.
zenbone

RE: audio trouble

Postby richvh » Mon 10.15.2007 1:22 pm

Anybody (in class or out - a native speaker would be best) you can practice speaking Japanese with? If not, you need at least more practice listening to spoken Japanese - Japanesepod101.com may be a good place to start.

Note that (as you found out) listening comprehension and reading comprehension are two seperate skill sets.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Orcrist » Mon 10.15.2007 2:28 pm

I tend to listen to japanese talk radio for a little while every day to get used to the rythm and training myself in distinguishing the different sounds.
http://radiotime.com/genre/c_349/Japanese_Talk.aspx
I prefer radio over video for this specific purpose basically because Im 100% able to focus at the spoken language, I just stare off into the distance or whatever so nothing visual will distract me.
Ofcourse, its just something I like to do. Not sure if its actually effective.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Postby noisyturtle » Mon 10.15.2007 8:52 pm

I am going to assume that you are using a textbook for the class. Your textbook might have come with a CD with listening practice or at least readings of things like dialogs in the book (mine did). It is easy to forget about these CDs.
noisyturtle

Postby mattyp » Mon 10.15.2007 9:59 pm

noisyturtle wrote:
I am going to assume that you are using a textbook for the class. Your textbook might have come with a CD with listening practice or at least readings of things like dialogs in the book (mine did). It is easy to forget about these CDs.

Yea I also use a textbook for my college class and I frequently use the CDs to help out with the dialogue. Sometimes the silent U sounds get me I have to read along while its playing.
mattyp

Return to Japanese General Discussion