View topic - 漢字s, 漫画s, アニメs
But yes, it does sound quite odd.
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Sun 04.08.2007 6:21 am
tasuketai to omou.
dakedo eigo ha nigate.
- Posts: 265
- Joined: Fri 02.02.2007 1:57 pm
- Posts: 314
- Joined: Sat 08.04.2007 12:04 am
- Location: Tokyo
- Native language: Dutch
- Gender: Male
There are two reasons why the word kanji as a particular case strikes me funny when people pluralize it with an 's'.
1) The rarity at which I encounter people using an 's', even among friends and relatives who do not study japanese, don't know a whit about japan and definitely aren't linguists. This leads me to believe that MOST people already consider 'kanji' to be a collective noun unless explicitly declared singular by the use of a definite article.
2) English already has several plurals that end in 'i' and it has always seemed very natural to me to think of the word as a plural/collective (ties in with #1, I guess).
- Posts: 349
- Joined: Wed 07.05.2006 3:02 am
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests